Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gekko21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Hi all. I'm a long time Mac user but am wanting to install Windows for the first time in order to run Steam games that only play in Windows. I've just ordered one of the new Crystalwell MacBook Pros, which will come with Mavericks. I plan to buy a copy of Windows 8 and install via Boot Camp. After lots of googling, I finally found the section on the Microsoft site where you can order a full copy of the Windows 8 software. That in itself was no mean feat, as it's mostly assumed that you already have a computer with Windows already installed and just want to upgrade :mad:.

So, I found a page (link below) where you can either download or buy the Win8 DVD. I assume I can just download it from the MS site onto a USB stick and install from there? If I have to buy the DVD, I'll need to find somewhere to run it and copy the files over to USB as I no longer have a computer with a DVD drive at home. Secondly, do all versions of Windows 8 work with Boot Camp (Standard, Pro and Student)? I'm shopping from the UK store and there seem to be 3 options available - http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/cat/ThemeID.30273200/categoryID.64542600.

Thanks for any help. I realise this is a pretty basic question, but I want to ensure I buy the right thing.

gekko21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Thanks very much for your response and for posting the link. That's really helpful. Just wish they'd hurry up and dispatch my Mac now :D.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Bootcamp Install Guide

Reference this guide on how to install from USB. As far as which version of Windows 8, all should run on your Mac, but I'd go with the cheapest version. No need to spend money on features you don't need.

You can get either the separate 32-bit OR 64-bit versions, OR you can buy them both together in one install (that's the one that's $199).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there shouldn't be a performance difference between the two versions.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there shouldn't be a performance difference between the two versions.

There's no performance difference between the regular and Pro versions of Windows 8, just some more advanced networking features that most users don't need. As far as 32- or 64-bit, stick with the latter.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You can get either the separate 32-bit OR 64-bit versions, OR you can buy them both together in one install (that's the one that's $199).

I'm not sure about that, but technically 64 bit should be faster, have more options, and is where the computer world is headed. 32bit will eventually go away. I'd get the 64bit version.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I'm not sure about that, but technically 64 bit should be faster, have more options, and is where the computer world is headed. 32bit will eventually go away. I'd get the 64bit version.

My concern for performance was mainly in regards to games themselves. I don't know if anyone writes 64-bit games for Mac OR Windows. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.