Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agraden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2021
I've used Chrome, Safari and Edge.

Apple told me Safari is best but I'm not seeing that since my 2020 MBP with 16gb of RAM turns it's jet engine fan on much of the time.

What have you found to be the most energy efficient browser for your Mac?

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Sounds like there something wrong with your machine. Safari will use the least energy. You can check this in the activity monitor. Your fans should not come on when you’re just browsing.

nbnbxdnb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
You could try some adblocker extensions to reduce the amount of resource some pages would use. It depends a lot on which websites and what type of activities as well. Generally, I found Safari to be very energy efficient on mac os.

Reactions: agraden and barbu

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
You could try some adblocker extensions to reduce the amount of resource some pages would use. It depends a lot on which websites and what type of activities as well. Generally, I found Safari to be very energy efficient on mac os.
A Pihole can help a lot too.

agraden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2021
I can't get AdBlocker extensions to work on Safari for some reason. In preferences it says "does not have permission to read to transmit content"

dmrowley

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2010
Dortches, NC
I'm having a very good experience with the Brave browser. It certainly does not bog down as bad as Safari on sites like Reddit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.