Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I have a mid-2010 Mac Pro 5,1 where I've recently had to install Windows on in order to reflash a PC type graphic card (GPU). Every now and then I also need to use software which isn't available for MacOS (and won't work in a virtual environment).

Having struggled to install Windows 7 on a separate drive several times without much success (it works but I keep getting problems with missing security certificates etc. when installing new apps, or other error messages which I don't understand) I finally gave up, downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft, installed it on a separate drive and it's worked fine!

The big question is which Windows version should I get? Is the latest version (Windows 11) backwards compatible, or is it like with MacOS where it's no longer possible to run older Mac-apps (i.e. 32-bit or incompatible for other reasons as well)?
And I understand that I should stay away from OEM versions of Windows because if you change your hardware setup (add more memory, remove/add drives etc.) that license will no longer be valid, right?

How about system requirements? I assume older Windows versions run more efficiently on an old Mac like mine, but perhaps more buggy as well. and is it even possible to buy a (legit/legal) license for something other than the current version(s)?
My mid-2010 Mac Pro 5,1 has been upgraded:

- mid-2010 Mac Pro 5,1
- 3.46 GHz 6-core Xeon processor
- 24 GB DD3/1333MHz RAM
- multiple SSDs and hard drives in various internal drive bays
- MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
- Sonnet Allegro USB 3.2 4 port USB-C, dual controller PCIe card
- Sapphire HD-7950 Vapor-X OC w/boost graphic PCIe card (reflashed for the Mac EFI bootscreen)

• Haha
Reactions: flashflood101

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Windows 7 is so far removed support, I'd say no to that, and windows 11 requires TPM, which the macs don't have. There may be hacks to bypass that, I'm not sure how successful those are on Macs. So that only leaves windows 10

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
There may be hacks to bypass that, I'm not sure how successful those are on Macs.
Not a hack, just "not recommended" :)
"Other ways to install Windows 11 (not recommended)"
"If you choose to install Windows 11 on a device that does not meet these requirements, and you acknowledge and understand the risks, you can create the following registry key values and bypass the check for TPM 2.0 (at least TPM 1.2 is required) and the CPU family and model."
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77ac7c70e

Reactions: asdex

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not a hack, just "not recommended" :)
I dunno, I think it TPM is still required and getting around that requirement is still a hack
1679057758638.png

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I'd really recommend Windows 10 Pro, it's the most mature and usable version of Windows and it wont have any problem with your hardware. You can do the hack to install Windows 11, but I wouldn't recommend that, it wont gain you anything and it may just stop working with the hack at any time.

The only thing removed from Windows backwards compatibility in the last few years is the 16-bit subsystem...

Windows 11 just has new hardware requirements. (TPM and secure boot)

Reactions: tranceking26

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I'm a little confused...
I just want a working Windows setup for those instances when I need to run specialized software not available in MacOS, and not because I prefer the Windows environment.
I don't understand what TPM is and prefer staying away from modifying/hacking into Windows if I can avoid it. It's bad enough needing to use Windows IMHO :oops:

I'd really recommend Windows 10 Pro, it's the most mature and usable version of Windows and it wont have any problem with your hardware. You can do the hack to install Windows 11, but I wouldn't recommend that, it wont gain you anything and it may just stop working with the hack at any time.

I see that "pro" is quite a bit more expensive than "home" here (almost twice the price actually!).

I looked up Microsoft's compare Windows 10 home vs. pro page and from what I could understand the pro version only has a bunch of advanced security and business related stuff which I don't understand and will probably never need. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes up more CPU, memory and disk resources as well.
But you're saying I will have less problems with my hardware with the pro version?

The only thing removed from Windows backwards compatibility in the last few years is the 16-bit subsystem...
Does this mean some old software (i.e. for Windows XP, 95, 2000 etc.) won't work with Windows 10?
If so, which options do I have to use an older Windows version legally these days?

Windows 11 just has new hardware requirements. (TPM and secure boot)

I see. And probably bigger requirements as well ;)

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I don't understand what TPM is and prefer staying away from modifying/hacking into Windows if I can avoid it. It's bad enough needing to use Windows IMHO :oops:
TPM mean Trusted Platform Module and it's kind of like Apple's T2 in intel Macs, though their jobs aren't identical. Don't worry about it though, the Mac Pro never had a TPM.

I see that "pro" is quite a bit more expensive than "home" here (almost twice the price actually!).

I looked up Microsoft's compare Windows 10 home vs. pro page and from what I could understand the pro version only has a bunch of advanced security and business related stuff which I don't understand and will probably never need. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes up more CPU, memory and disk resources as well.
But you're saying I will have less problems with my hardware with the pro version?
While the security related stuff is something I like, having Remote Desktop why I always buy the pro version. If you don't need that, there really isn't a reason to go with Pro for you. It runs all the same 3rd party software the same. And no, the pro version doesn't make any difference with hardware. Just ignore that recommendation from my, my IT Manager side was showing a bit too much. :)

Does this mean some old software (i.e. for Windows XP, 95, 2000 etc.) won't work with Windows 10?
If so, which options do I have to use an older Windows version legally these days?
No, it doesn't. What it means is it can't run MSDOS related programs natively like it used to. Early Windows 3.1 programs would be a no go too. There is a third part emulator called DOSBOX though. Some Win95 era software may not work, but I couldn't tell you what, I just haven't done much testing with it. I do have a Windows 95 laptop though in my bag of tricks...

I see. And probably bigger requirements as well ;)
I don't think there was much difference that way...

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
I would suggest Windows 10 Professional, not the least because Microsoft has more-or-less stopped "improving" it. For occasional use you don't need to buy anything, just download it, install it, and run it without activating it. You'll lose the ability to change some cosmetics and you may have to live with a watermark on the desktop. Otherwise it will be fully functional, and this is by Microsoft's design, i.e. it's not a hack.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
Windows 11 is a mess. There's poor uptake in the industry due to how bad it is.

I would as mentioned, go for windows 10 professional if you can. You can obtain OEM licenses cheaply if you shop around as well.

Daryle

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2023
Windows 11 is a mess. There's poor uptake in the industry due to how bad it is.

I would as mentioned, go for windows 10 professional if you can. You can obtain OEM licenses cheaply if you shop around as well.
I don't see it this way!

I picked up an HP laptop with Windows 11 running on it before Christmas. I needed a PC for a project I'm working on.

I have been pleasantly surprised with both HP and Windows 11. Not one issue has arisen, and I've been a Mac user solely for the last five or six years.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
I don't see it this way!

I picked up an HP laptop with Windows 11 running on it before Christmas. I needed a PC for a project I'm working on.

I have been pleasantly surprised with both HP and Windows 11. Not one issue has arisen, and I've been a Mac user solely for the last five or six years.

It's fine until you've been a windows user for the best part of 35 years aside from macOS and they really moved all the cheese on this version.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
TPM mean Trusted Platform Module and it's kind of like Apple's T2 in intel Macs, though their jobs aren't identical. Don't worry about it though, the Mac Pro never had a TPM.

I understand. Good to know what to stay away from if you don't want to mess around with hacking etc.
I mean, I'm fine with the UNIX Terminal in MacOS, or even the occasional DOS command, but I really have no idea what's going on "under the hood" in Windows. Not much makes sense to me, but that's probably because I've been a Mac user for years and years ;)

While the security related stuff is something I like, having Remote Desktop why I always buy the pro version. If you don't need that, there really isn't a reason to go with Pro for you. It runs all the same 3rd party software the same. And no, the pro version doesn't make any difference with hardware. Just ignore that recommendation from my, my IT Manager side was showing a bit too much. :)

No problem :)
I just need the basic stuff, but at the same time I don't want to lose any of the basic features by choosing the wrong version (while attempting (for the 5th time or so, unsuccessfully I may add) to install Windows 7 I chose a different sub-version (home, pro or whatever -why do they have to provide so many confusing choices?) I found out that the most "entry" version didn't even have that screenshot app!

I can't believe it's not possible to even take a screenshot, create a PDF file or take a quick look at an image, a PDF file or whatever without any additional software like we take for granted in MacOS. Maybe it's different in Windows 10 or 11... I really haven't learnt how to use it properly.

Anyway, I don't want to lose out on any of the essentials like that, but I know I won't need more advanced stuff like remote desktop etc.
So will the "home" version still do?

No, it doesn't. What it means is it can't run MSDOS related programs natively like it used to. Early Windows 3.1 programs would be a no go too. There is a third part emulator called DOSBOX though. Some Win95 era software may not work, but I couldn't tell you what, I just haven't done much testing with it. I do have a Windows 95 laptop though in my bag of tricks...

I'm going to try out all the Windows software I know I need to use. There's some USB hardware like an EPROM programmer and other things which is Windows-only, then there might be similar, often older (Windows 95 etc.) software for use with some hardware or specialized taks further down the road that I need to use.

I prefer to downsize these days and want to keep it all in one Mac if I can, either as a dual-boot setup (for accessing Mac hardware such as my GPU for reflashing it), or in a virtual machine such as Virtualbox or VMWare Fusion Player (both free), or both solutions each for their own use. I'm just starting to get into this multiple OS stuff and have been holding off upgrading past High Sierra because I still use older software, but think I might be able to eventually get the best of both worlds: a more updated MacOS version for everyday use along with a virtual machine setup for older Mac software as well as Windows software, and rebooting into Windows for a full Windows hardware experience.

I would suggest Windows 10 Professional, not the least because Microsoft has more-or-less stopped "improving" it. For occasional use you don't need to buy anything, just download it, install it, and run it without activating it. You'll lose the ability to change some cosmetics and you may have to live with a watermark on the desktop. Otherwise it will be fully functional, and this is by Microsoft's design, i.e. it's not a hack.

That's one of the things I find confusing: either it's free or it's a trial version -but this seems to be both and neither at once! Obviously Windows isn't free since they sell it, but why does it seem "optional" to buy it? What's the deal with the ability to run it without entering a valid license and activating it?
And then there's the choice between "OEM" (with all its variations), "retail" and so on.
From what I've understood it's "retail" that you need to go for, as buying OEM usually means a shady purchase from the grey market or even licenses that belong to other computers, and at least the limitation of not being able to continue using it if you upgrade the computer while "retail", as far as I understand, means you can reinstall it on any computer you own.
Lots of choices -I'm just starting to get the hang of how this works, and am happy that my main OS is still MacOS.

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
That's one of the things I find confusing: either it's free or it's a trial version -but this seems to be both and neither at once!
Your premise is faulty. I gave you a link to an article which explains it. Good luck.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Your premise is faulty. I gave you a link to an article which explains it. Good luck.

Sorry about that. I did read the article and you're absolutely right about it explaining how it all works.

But I still haven't found a proper answer about what's Microsoft's intention and what's the correct way to approach this, and nobody appears to really know other than to speculate.
Obviously I don't want to pay for it if I don't have to, but I don't want to use pirated software either.

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
You could download the windows 10 ISO from the website and run it without the license till your ready...I got my license from Fleabay with zipdrive for a very nominal cost. Windows 11 is just packed with a lot of junk that is not needed. I also downloaded open-shell so that will make it look like windows xp for menus and it's freeware. Just make sure you have Filevault turned off before you bootcamp windows to install.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
But I still haven't found a proper answer about what's Microsoft's intention and what's the correct way to approach this, and nobody appears to really know other than to speculate.
Obviously I don't want to pay for it if I don't have to, but I don't want to use pirated software either.
"5. Authorized Software and Activation.You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method."

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I don't quite understand why this is a debate. The answer is simple, Windows 10. Anything older is no longer supported, and Windows 11 requires a lot of workaround. Windows 10 is still supported, so just use Windows 10.

As for Home vs Pro, unless you are connecting to a domain or need to remote desktop into your computer unassisted, just get the Home version.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Yup, looks like Windows 10 home is the one to get for me. And the "retail" distribution to avoid the OEM limitations (I have to admit it's a bit expensive though, especially for my very limited use).

Oh, I tried out a few of the apps I need to run in a Windows environment and they all appeared to work
except one of them. It turns out it's a 16-bit app (which Windows 10 no longer supports apparently). Fortunately there's a free piece of software called WineDVM (OTDVM) you can use for this. You might have to download Visual C++ as well (see download link/info in the same link). I haven't tried it myself, but saw a Youtube video explaining the installation and use, and it looks quite promising thought I haven't yet tried it myself.

Reactions: bobcomer

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Windows 7 is so far removed support, I'd say no to that, and windows 11 requires TPM, which the macs don't have. There may be hacks to bypass that, I'm not sure how successful those are on Macs. So that only leaves windows 10
The hacks that work to install Windows 11 on pre-TPM 2.0 machines also work for Mac installations.

OP: I have a 2012 5,1 running Windows 11 (and Windows 11 only - MacOS is not installed) and it works like a charm...but yeah, had to "hack" the installer for it to work. Just a couple of very easy registry edits.

Windows 11 isn't MacOS, but i prefer it to Windows 10.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Today I installed Windows 11 Pro on a 13 inch Mid 2012 MacBook Pro with the help of a Bootcamp assistant and it is running great. I also have Mojave and Big Sur volumes under the same APFS container with the FileVault enabled. In the past the old Macs can only have one macOS and one BOOTCAMP(Windows) partitions but the APFS seems to change this situation for the better. You don't need the help of a bootloaders to boot multiple macOS installations and Windows. I am wondering for how long you can run Windows 11 without activation?

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
"5. Authorized Software and Activation.You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method."

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm
It seems that there is a difference between Retail or Consumer version and ISO download from the website. Like the other posters already mentioned the ISO download versions of Windows 10 and 11 can be used for quite awhile without activation but with a small watermark and somewhat limited customization. The important thing is that you can still install the security updates. It seems that Microsoft is almost going the Apple route with regards to the OS as there is nothing like Windows Genuine Advantage at the moment that they have used in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.