Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrisjmv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2016
Hey guys using my iPhone 11 Pro Max and all these ads especially cookie banner stuff is so annoying.
Which adblocker can you recommend that is doing its job so far so good?

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
Wipr. I've used adguard and 1blocker and while they're both pretty good, I prefer Wipr for its simplicity and works very well. Adguard and 1blocker are more configurable but I don't need those features as wipr rarely breaks websites. If it does, the developer is fast to respond with updating rules.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Wipr. I've used adguard and 1blocker and while they're both pretty good, I prefer Wipr for its simplicity and works very well. Adguard and 1blocker are more configurable but I don't need those features as wipr rarely breaks websites. If it does, the developer is fast to respond with updating rules.

If the developer is fast to respond if something is broken, you got lucky. I received the response that if there’s one site that’s the issue, I should add it to white list and be done. I told I wasn’t facing these issues with the old versions of Wipr on both macOS and iOS and would appreciate if some ads were blocked and broken elements fixed on the site but received a clear no from the developer with respect to hoping for a fix. In my experience, the product is excellent but the developer is not there for any help when you truly need it with regards to the functionality of the product.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Been using Ka-Block! for some time, and prior to that Norton Ad Blocker (Firefox Focus and BlockBear have also been reasonable free options).

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Adblock Plus is built into Microsoft Edge on iOS and it works very well. I've always been a little reluctant to install the standalone Adblock Plus app for Safari because it hasn't been updated for a few years? ABP works great on my PC, it's the first extension I install on all my browsers. For Safari I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the MalwareBytes app has free adblocking and it seems to do a fairly decent job. If you sign up for premium it will also block malware sites etc. but that's not required.

Adblock Plus built into a Microsoft product? Really?

LarsN.

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2017
Pi-hole blocks network wide in every App, but requires a raspberry to run on. There’s a specific App on iPhone to control pi-hole

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.