Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djniche

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
DC
I need your suggestions as what I should get. I have a budget of $2000-$2200 and I'm trying to update my mac. I have a 17" imac 800mhz right now and i do graphics / photoshop / and music pro tools. Would you go for the new 20" imac 1.25ghz or the new G5 powermac 1.6gz with no screen?

Which do you think is a better. What would you get with that budget?

my target setup was the g5 with a 20" flat screen but that amounts to $3000 plus... what do you guys recommend?

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Re: Which would you buy? Imac 20" 1.25 ghz or powermac G5 1.6 ghz

Originally posted by djniche
I need your suggestions as what I should get. I have a budget of $2000-$2200

my target setup was the g5 with a 20" flat screen but that amounts to $3000 plus... what do you guys recommend?

G5 is the only real future. 1.25 is a machine thats already old. Maybe wait until the speed bump happens and pick a 1.6 up cheap or buy the new low end model.

Of course for graphics you want to push the RAM up to at least a gig...and maybe bump the graphics card from the base model.

A third party CRT monitor would save you some cash for decent screen real estate. I have heard that its also better for true colours...

Don't forget G5 will support both screens fine, so you will have the area of dual display which might allow you the option of using some cheap new or second hand/refurb screens at 17" together.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
G5 no question, you are comparing a almost obsolete cpu to a brand new one. Apple is working on 5 years of G4. you can still get deals on 1.8 G5s and then get another brand 17" for the same cost as 20 inch Imac. 20 Inch imac is apples worst value in my H.O. or get a refurb 1.6/1.8 and get someone elses 18,19,20" display.
Or do like me wait for a new G5 20' Imac;)

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
Speaking as a fully paid up member of the International iMac Love and Appreciation Society who believes in eating iMac, sleeping iMac and breathing iMac, I would have to sincerely recommend you purchase the G5.

Because I want one, and am struggling to justify the expense.

Man alive, it's got to be 5!

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Re: Which would you buy? Imac 20" 1.25 ghz or powermac G5 1.6 ghz

Originally posted by djniche
I need your suggestions as what I should get. I have a budget of $2000-$2200 and I'm trying to update my mac. I have a 17" imac 800mhz right now and i do graphics / photoshop / and music pro tools. Would you go for the new 20" imac 1.25ghz or the new G5 powermac 1.6gz with no screen?

Which do you think is a better. What would you get with that budget?

Well considering you'll be using it for professional applications and not just your run of the mill e-mail, word processing, and internet uses, the G5, with its faster processor, bus, ram, and expandability options make this decision a no brainer. Buy as best as you can afford to future-proof your investment. A low-priced monitor can eventually be upgraded down the line.

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
My brother just got a refurb 1.8 G5 and I was totatly impressed. Even though it is only a single cpu machine it is quite responsive. I have been contemplating purchasing a refurb for myself ;)

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
As most posters said I would recommend the G5. But on the other hand - having no display is not really a choice. And it looks like you want to have a 20". Those are not cheap from any manufacturer.

Thought already about the 15" PB ?

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
G5.

Even if you have to use a 13" black and white TV for a few months. :)

The iMac is outdated technology that is mostly un-upgradeable, whereas the G5 can be upgaded via AGP, and PCI. And who knows if faster CPU's will be made available later third party.
Apple has refurb 1.6 G5's for $1399- that's a 800 differece from the 20" iMac. If you serach good, you can get a 20" LCD for about $850. Then again, you can get a 19" for even less.

iMac's are cool, beautiful computers, but they just aren't a good buy technologically. But that's only my opinion.

djniche

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
DC
neonart said:
G5.

Even if you have to use a 13" black and white TV for a few months. :)

The iMac is outdated technology that is mostly un-upgradeable, whereas the G5 can be upgaded via AGP, and PCI. And who knows if faster CPU's will be made available later third party.
Apple has refurb 1.6 G5's for $1399- that's a 800 differece from the 20" iMac. If you serach good, you can get a 20" LCD for about $850. Then again, you can get a 19" for even less.

iMac's are cool, beautiful computers, but they just aren't a good buy technologically. But that's only my opinion.

hey thanks for the comments so far. I realize i should get a 1.6 G5.. i've looking around and now my question is wheter a 1.6ghz or a 1.8 would be better. Is there really a big boost with the speed difference. Also the PCI/x will that make a difference in speed. I dont know if many would use the 8gig ram option so i think i would be happy with the 4g ram...
any help i would appreciate... which would you get the 1.6 or the 1.8

vlawillie

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2004
djniche said:

I have a dual 1.8 and it is amazing. Not having used the 1.6 I can't give first-hand assessment, but my activity moniter says both processors are being used equally most of the time. Therefore, I would say dual 1.8 would be a huge step up in speed, and pci-x, etc. would be a great thing to have in the future.

In other words, this one's gonna last you. Hope that helps.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
G5 1.8

I am far from an expert, but based on what you say you want to do, I have to believe a G5 is the way to go. As was pointed out earlier, the monitor can always be upgraded later....

And based on this thread, I'd suggest you stretch to the 1.8 GHz G5. See this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/61963/

The differences between the 1.6 and the 1.8 are quite a bit larger than I would have expected....

Best,

Bob

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
djniche said:
hey thanks for the comments so far. I realize i should get a 1.6 G5.. i've looking around and now my question is wheter a 1.6ghz or a 1.8 would be better. Is there really a big boost with the speed difference. Also the PCI/x will that make a difference in speed. I dont know if many would use the 8gig ram option so i think i would be happy with the 4g ram...

If you can, the 1.8 is a better computer. 200 more Mhz, 100 Mhz more bus speed. 8 ram slots insted of 4, (which is really useful), and other things that may help in the future. While 1.8 G5's new are available for less than 1.6's new, the refurbs are still a little more at the Apple store.
But if you can swing it, 1.8's are a great option.

Here is a site that has fairly good reviews and offers a "cash discount".

http://www.infinity-micro.com/prodLG.jsp?fap=pgbr&prodId=f6ad3d28b0.1

Also remember we are very close to a revision of the G5 line. It would suck to get your machine and in two weeks, for the same price new faster ones are released. I myself have been waiting since mid December for upgraded G5 towers. I want my G5 for gaming- so it's not a crucial issue to wait. If you NEED a computer right now- then buy. But if you WANT a new computer, waiting a little can't hurt. (Now I've messed you up too- hahahaha- You will become a G5 rumor dependant as well) ;)

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Naimfan said:
I am far from an expert, but based on what you say you want to do, I have to believe a G5 is the way to go. As was pointed out earlier, the monitor can always be upgraded later....

And based on this thread, I'd suggest you stretch to the 1.8 GHz G5. See this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/61963/

The differences between the 1.6 and the 1.8 are quite a bit larger than I would have expected....

Best,

Bob

Apple has an awesome deal on single 1.8 refurbs at 1899.00. Thats a sweet machine at a savings of 200.00 over what it was not too long ago. If you're doing graphics work, wouldn't a CRT be better? I heard LCDs arent as good for that kinda stuff.... but I could be mistaken. Whether you decide to go for the 1.6 or the 1.8 doesn't matter. Both are sweet machines. Wish I was in your situation! Good Luck

djniche

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
DC
neonart said:
If you can, the 1.8 is a better computer. 200 more Mhz, 100 Mhz more bus speed. 8 ram slots insted of 4, (which is really useful), and other things that may help in the future. While 1.8 G5's new are available for less than 1.6's new, the refurbs are still a little more at the Apple store.
But if you can swing it, 1.8's are a great option.

Here is a site that has fairly good reviews and offers a "cash discount".

http://www.infinity-micro.com/prodLG.jsp?fap=pgbr&prodId=f6ad3d28b0.1

Also remember we are very close to a revision of the G5 line. It would suck to get your machine and in two weeks, for the same price new faster ones are released. I myself have been waiting since mid December for upgraded G5 towers. I want my G5 for gaming- so it's not a crucial issue to wait. If you NEED a computer right now- then buy. But if you WANT a new computer, waiting a little can't hurt. (Now I've messed you up too- hahahaha- You will become a G5 rumor dependant as well) ;)

I have been checking the G5 rumors that's for sure. It's funny how popular sites like this are around new revisions are due. I think it will be wise to wait at least until the second week of march to see if the new G5's come out. I was about to get the 1.6ghz $1399 on the apple specials page. Hopefully with new G5's there will be even better deals on 1.8 or a new 2.0 single?? who knows... I will have to wait... i have my powerbook 667mhz and a Yeah PC till the g5 arrives.. so hopefully it won't be a long wait!...

thanks for the comments

asdren

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2004
www.ArlexClocks.com
Is it possible to add second G5 later?

Ideally I'd like a dual G5 but the current special for a *new* 1.8 G5 SP for $1899 is pretty tempting. Can an additional 1.8 G5 processor be installed later or are the Single and Dual motherboards totally different beasts?

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
asdren said:
Ideally I'd like a dual G5 but the current special for a *new* 1.8 G5 SP for $1899 is pretty tempting. Can an additional 1.8 G5 processor be installed later or are the Single and Dual motherboards totally different beasts?

I think the dual motherboards have two connectors, where the single boards do not. But I'm not 100% sure...

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
neonart said:
I think the dual motherboards have two connectors, where the single boards do not. But I'm not 100% sure...

I don't think you can add processors later. But, I will lend my vote of a 1.8G5 overa 1.6. $100 more - and a lot of upgradability potential!!

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
asdren said:

They are different. Apple offers no processor upgrade addition path nor have I heard of anyone trying to do this. Buy the dual to make the most of the machine or wait for the new G5 iMacs and possibly other headless units that are the subject of much rumor.

raynegus

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2003
I'd go for the G4 iMac. Think different! (he he)

I just got a 20" iMac 1.25 Ghz 1GB RAM and use it for photography with photoshop and it's alright. Not the fastest but it does the job. I mostly work with files around 6 MB. If you're scanning film or work with large RAW files, you'll want something faster. The screen is the same as the 20" cinema display. It is sharp and crisp (unlike the 17" iMac which takes it's screen from the 17" powerbook). Go see one at an Apple store. I was planning on getting a 20" display anyway, so the 20" iMac fit the bill perfectly.

I might be the odd ball here, but I really fell in love with the iMac's simple design and small foot print. I like being able to adjust the height, tilt and swing of the screen (sounding like a 4x5 photographer here). I've really been happy with mine.

Now I'm not saying don't get a G5. I'm just telling you my experiences with mine.

The main selling point of the iMac is of course the price. The memory discounts that Apple offers right now make it even more appealing because one of the two memory slots in the iMac is NOT user changable, so you must get Apple RAM in this slot. Apple is selling RAM right now for dirt cheap (by Apple prices anyway). Check it out at http://www.apple.com

If you know a student or faculty that can buy this for you, you can get a 20" iMac 1.25 Ghz, 1GB RAM for $2200 shipped (from http://www.apple.com). If you figure the monitor is the same as the 20" cinema display which cost ~$1200, the computer itself (with 1 GB RAM and superdrive) is only $1000.

So the way I saw it, 1.25 Ghz G4, 1 GB RAM, SD for $1000? Who cares about a 1.6 Ghz G5! $1000 is a bargain!

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Pixel Check

raynegus said:
I'd go for the G4 iMac. Think different! (he he)

I just got a 20" iMac 1.25 Ghz 1GB RAM and use it for photography with photoshop and it's alright. Not the fastest but it does the job. I mostly work with files around 6 MB. If you're scanning film or work with large RAW files, you'll want something faster. The screen is the same as the 20" cinema display. It is sharp and crisp (unlike the 17" iMac which takes it's screen from the 17" powerbook). Go see one at an Apple store. I was planning on getting a 20" display anyway, so the 20" iMac fit the bill perfectly.

I might be the odd ball here, but I really fell in love with the iMac's simple design and small foot print. I like being able to adjust the height, tilt and swing of the screen (sounding like a 4x5 photographer here). I've really been happy with mine.

Now I'm not saying don't get a G5. I'm just telling you my experiences with mine.

The main selling point of the iMac is of course the price. The memory discounts that Apple offers right now make it even more appealing because one of the two memory slots in the iMac is NOT user changable, so you must get Apple RAM in this slot. Apple is selling RAM right now for dirt cheap (by Apple prices anyway). Check it out at http://www.apple.com

If you know a student or faculty that can buy this for you, you can get a 20" iMac 1.25 Ghz, 1GB RAM for $2200 shipped (from http://www.apple.com). If you figure the monitor is the same as the 20" cinema display which cost ~$1200, the computer itself (with 1 GB RAM and superdrive) is only $1000.

So the way I saw it, 1.25 Ghz G4, 1 GB RAM, SD for $1000? Who cares about a 1.6 Ghz G5! $1000 is a bargain!

Just curious: any problems with stuck or dead pixels on your 20" iMac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.