Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
GPU, which I'm WAY out of the loop on.

For video editing and motion graphics, will the Radeon Pro Vega II do the trick?

Or will there a better solution on the market, like Radeon?

What do you guys think?
[automerge]1574227100[/automerge]
Bonus question for video editors:

How are you planning on monitoring out? Aja card? Black magic card?

An I/O box?

Reactions: ekwipt

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
New version of Resolve doesn’t require video output harware. That said, still getting a Decklink card or the new 4k mini.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I’m wondering how to use the xdr for monitoring only, as it only has TB3 input....

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin

For video editing and motion graphics, will the Radeon Pro Vega II do the trick?

What do you guys think?

An I/O box?

I’m asking myself the same Question! I think that yes it will, especially when paired with afterburner. Hell even The D700s in the 6.1 do the job and the Vega II should be so much stronger...
Still, I’m wondering how it will be - easily possible to add another GPU (Vega II or other, non Apple MPX style) later? Or not so much? Who knows if Apple will sell those cards separately ever? I’m also wondering the difference between two single Vegas and One Vega Duo. How is software gonna behave differently with those options? Interestingly on apples website some benchmarks are about one setup, others about another.

these days, on my 6.1, one D700 sits COMPLETELY idle 99% of the time. Sometimes the vram gets loaded a bit during Rendering out of premiere but that’s about it..
[automerge]1574283115[/automerge]
I’m wondering how to use the xdr for monitoring only, as it only has TB3 input....
Yesterday we ran again for the first time in a while in the dreaded premiere pro h264 export gamma/color shift issue on an iMac.

i remember having that issue in my Dell2715k when it’s set to Adobe RGB. Not when it’s operating on SRGB, so that’s what I Resort to, artificially limiting my image quality but therefore at least having consistency across my Workflow.
I’m wondering how stuff like that will be on our shot New 5000$ display. With HDR in the equation... is gonna be interesting. I’m almost sure that because of software limitations like that, after all that amazing piece of hardware is gonna be limited once again as a reference monitor...

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008

What do you guys think?

An I/O box?

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-AMD-Radeon-VII-16GB-Performance-1382/

Someone else could extrapolate on the performance on something that is unreleased, Resolve will also be coded to take advantage of the Mac Pro and Metal differently than it does with Nvidia and CUDA. If I could afford it, I'd just go 2 x XDR screens no monitoring for editing personally. For grading, maybe two "regular monitors and an XDR hooked up via Thunderbolt! no Idea so expensive!!!

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
still getting a Decklink card or the new 4k mini.

My plan is to get an Apple XDR for monitoring sometime down the line,, which looks like it has TB3 inputs only. I'm trying to figure out a clean way to use the Decklink, 4K mini or another solution with the XDR's TB3 input....
[automerge]1574297034[/automerge]
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-15-AMD-Radeon-VII-16GB-Performance-1382/

Someone else could extrapolate on the performance on something that is unreleased, Resolve will also be coded to take advantage of the Mac Pro and Metal differently than it does with Nvidia and CUDA. If I could afford it, I'd just go 2 x XDR screens no monitoring for editing personally. For grading, maybe two "regular monitors and an XDR hooked up via Thunderbolt! no Idea so expensive!!!

I'm thinking (2) 4 or 5k regular monitors for editing, and the XDR for grading, with the XDR connected to an I/O card or box.

For the computer:
- 16 core : people seem to think this will provide most bang for buck
- 1 TB local SSD : I work off of separate drives, so 500 or even 250 is tempting. But with the T2 complicating things, I'm thinking better to get a little more.
- 32 gigs of RAM - upgrade to 96 or 192 later with MUCH CHEAPER Other World Computing sticks
- Graphics: Pro Vega II, maybe get a second one later
- Storage: some type of PCIe card, preferably SSD
- Some type of video I/O, aforementioned

And, of course, Apple Care!

Last edited:
Reactions: shuto and ekwipt

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
I'm thinking (2) 4 or 5k regular monitors for editing, and the XDR for grading, with the XDR connected to an I/O card or box.

For the computer:
- 16 core : people seem to think this will provide most bang for buck
- 1 TB local SSD : I work off of separate drives, so 500 or even 250 is tempting. But with the T2 complicating things, I'm thinking better to get a little more.
- 32 gigs of RAM - upgrade to 96 or 192 later with MUCH CHEAPER Other World Computing sticks
- Graphics: Pro Vega II, maybe get a second one later
- Storage: some type of PCIe card, preferably SSD
- Some type of video I/O, aforementioned

And, of course, Apple Care!

I'd probably get an ultra wide for editing, possibly the LG 5K and then the XDR for Client

What are you editing? Anything over 4K requires 64Gb and over according to Pugets Systems, so I'm guessing 96GB will be the sweet spot
Storage I personally think 1TB is not enough, I'd configure with 2TB

You can now get the Highpoint with RAID, not sure how it will perform though!

http://highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series-ssd7120-overview.htm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.