Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
My clothes were so caked with sweat, mud, bugs, clippings, the outer stuff went into the washer as soon as I took it off. The tractor nearly overheated, the seat was a hot brick to sit on, even my gloves were dripping with sweat and not liquefied mud. My wife kept telling me to take some time off for a few minutes, but I wanted to get it done before the huge storms they predicted arrived. (And they did, Biblical rain, stiff winds)

And al I got was 700? Apple should add a category called 'Yard Work' so us that love to flagellate ourselves on our yards can get the proper credit? *whining* *pout* *holding my breath* (I assume the AW knows the great lengths I went through to do what had been on the 'Honey do' list for months; the heat, the sweat, the litres of water, the guzzled 'sports drink')

I already get credit for mowing when the watch prompts me to record my 'outside bike ride'...

Should it be a category? Would it make a positive difference?

What say the membership? :cool:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
My clothes were so caked with sweat, mud, bugs, clippings, the outer stuff went into the washer as soon as I took it off. The tractor nearly overheated, the seat was a hot brick to sit on, even my gloves were dripping with sweat and not liquefied mud. My wife kept telling me to take some time off for a few minutes, but I wanted to get it done before the huge storms they predicted arrived. (And they did, Biblical rain, stiff winds)

And al I got was 700? Apple should add a category called 'Yard Work' so us that love to flagellate ourselves on our yards can get the proper credit? *whining* *pout* *holding my breath* (I assume the AW knows the great lengths I went through to do what had been on the 'Honey do' list for months; the heat, the sweat, the litres of water, the guzzled 'sports drink')

I already get credit for mowing when the watch prompts me to record my 'outside bike ride'...

I suggest some cheese with that whine…:p
You should chose “other”, or indoor cycle for that type of “workout”.
“Outdoor cycling” takes speed into consideration…

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I suggest some cheese with that whine…:p
You should chose “other”, or indoor cycle for that type of “workout”.
“Outdoor cycling” takes speed into consideration…

As I may have said, the Watch prompts for outside rides when I'm mowing, but occasionally it doesn't. Seems rarely, but surprising somewhat. But I'm cheating anyway, categorizing a trip around the yard as a bike ride. I mean I do have to hold on and steer on each one, but the mower is more a core workout and not so much the legs. :D:cool:

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020

This was funny. I enjoyed your writing.

This bit of membership agrees.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
When I go on off-road trails in my jeep (which is a jostling experience), we usually get 200% to 300% of our move goals just sitting in the jeep. I tell my wife it is Apple's special credit for jeepers.

• Haha
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

Novius89

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2020
Went rollerskating last Saturday. We did ride around 18 kilometers in a good pace (estimated). The workout app "iceskating and skating" only shows calories not kilometers or gps map.
Was also disappointed with only 890 calories. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I recently busted my a** off to make a solid pavement for a new green house and permanent fire pit. I went into "Other workout" .. I know it might be silly, but like you if I'm totally smashed after a hard day out, I hate the damn thing saying "Come on, you can close your rings!" and lacking 24 minutes on the green... Like wtf?!

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
This was funny. I enjoyed your writing.

This bit of membership agrees.

Gosh, thanks...

I write out of the experience of an apparently fit 60-something young man who remembers his dad at this age, riding the La-Z-Boy and going to bed early (although I don't have 2 sons like my dad did😧😎). I also have a wife who can't understand why I want to ride with people (now) less than half my age. I want to push myself, I want to get things done, I don't want to be that 60-something that rides the La-Z-Boy and hangs out at the (now nonexistent) donut shop. I'd rather be the 60-something year old that hangs out at the bike shop, and drops 30-somethings for the shear sport of it.

BUT I am also not above needing/appreciating some recognition for my efforts to out run both the La-Z-Boy and the grim reaper.

I put a power meter on my main road bike in 2019, just in time for the pandemic, but I still cranked some huge watts before I stopped riding outside. And I've always been the guy that loves to get involved in things around the house. I drove the bulldozer when they were leveling the ground for the house, I did the electrical work during construction, I helped install the fences, I helped the landscapers and irrigation people, I believe in 'sweat equity', and might drive people crazy trying to help but am very capable.

So a 'butt busting day', and a get 700 cals? I can do an 'outside ride/mow' and get over 1,000. I'm not saying that day wasn't worth it, but having some recognition in the form of the rings would be nice.

And totally realizing that it's all just BS. It's been funny realizing how the 'movement tech' has hooked me/us, and how judgemental it can be. HAH!! But I'm still willing to do it again. I'm fighting for my life every day. I love the days I am sweat and dirt covered and can pass out after a shower and know that I worked myself close to the limit. I refuse to let moss grow under me.

Ride on!!

EDIT: I think I'd too young to die. Not yet! I still have one route in Zwift to complete!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.