Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazz1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Well after living with my 2020 MK for my 2021 12.9" iPad Pro I decided to pull the trigger on the Brydge in White/Silver for my silver iPP. As you may know the 2020 MK is a usable but not a perfect fit for the 2021 iPad. I hope the white back cover is cleanable!?

Now that this accessory has been out there for awhile, I was wondering how this holds up and how well the large trackpad works? The laptop like look and larger trackpad has tempted me for a long time.

The other thing that I have read is that the Brydge is more stable on the lap than the MK. I hope this turns out to be true.

If you own one of these the Brydge 12.9 Max+ keyboards I would be grateful to here a real world user's opinions. I'm not one to order and return, but I suppose that is an option if it fails to meet my hopes and expectations. Nothing is perfect. But I hope to be able to enjoy this accessory.

Many thanks!!!

jazz1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Well after living with my 2020 MK for my 2021 12.9" iPad Pro I decided to pull the trigger on the Brydge in White/Silver for my silver iPP. As you may know the 2020 MK is a usable but not a perfect fit for the 2021 iPad. I hope the white back cover is cleanable!?

Now that this accessory has been out there for awhile, I was wondering how this holds up and how well the large trackpad works? The laptop like look and larger trackpad has tempted me for a long time.

The other thing that I have read is that the Brydge is more stable on the lap than the MK. I hope this turns out to be true.

If you own one of these the Brydge 12.9 Max+ keyboards I would be grateful to here a real world user's opinions. I'm not one to order and return, but I suppose that is an option if it fails to meet my hopes and expectations. Nothing is perfect. But I hope to be able to enjoy this accessory.

Many thanks!!!
Well after two days with the Brydge I found I could not live with it in the long term. I returned it. I really wanted to like this product, as it seemed to promise an almost laptop like experience with the iPad. I liked the idea of the function keys and large trackpad.

While it has a nice looking design the weight and thickness proved to be a bit too unwieldy for me, even compared to my 2020 Apple MK.

I also was looking forward to the very large trackpad on the Brydge product. But in the end it was so large that I kept interrupting my typing as my thumbs seemed to hit the trackpad at importune moments. Maybe that is on me and my typing style, but I couldn't live with it.

The hinge motion/smoothness certainly did not approach that of a MacBook. I suppose that is really asking too much. I do like the action on the MK better as it turns out, as limited as the degree angle is.

I had to be very careful opening the Brydge case to use it. Occasionally, the iPad would lose it magnetic attachment.

So in the end I've returned to use my 2020 MK and am checking out a 2021 MK for my 2021 iPad for a better fit and color option (black vs. white). I really have to give credit too Apple for its minimalist design of the MK. Sometime simple is better.

So I've learned two things. The iPad will never really be a MacBook as much as I love my iPad, IMHO. ;) I probably should start saving for a 2022 MacBook Air. ?

one more observation now that I’m back to the MK. Typing response of the Brydge was slower. Not to say it was to slow, but the MK was faster to register my keyboard input.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The 12.9 Brydge broke in less than 2 months of light use. Cannot recommend it for the durability alone. Got a full refund.

Reactions: jazz1

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
I had one, but it was way too heavy in the lap for me. I also like how the Magic Keyboard keeps you closer to the iPad Pro and not further away like the Brydge. Plus, the pass-thru charging of the MKB cannot be beaten. I was always looking at the battery draining on the Brydge and wondered if I should have two USB-C cords plugged up at all times, one for the iPad Pro and one for the Brydge. But that would be really awkward and I returned it and got a refund. It seems like a good alternative, but it wasn’t for me. I’m hoping to get another MKB in white after Christmas. It just cannot be beat.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
My issue with the MKB is the materials it’s made of. If don’t like them as they don’t seem particular robust or durable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.