Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdebeer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
I just got my 12 inch PB, and am thrilled with almost everything. My only disappointment is that all the cables & the power adapter are white ... they match the iBook, not the PowerBook! No functional difference, of course, but it surprised me because Apple is usually very tight when it comes to style. I expect more when purchasing a premium product from a premium brand name. There's my 2 cents.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
jdebeer said:
I just got my 12 inch PB, and am thrilled with almost everything. My only disappointment is that all the cables & the power adapter are white ... they match the iBook, not the PowerBook! No functional difference, of course, but it surprised me because Apple is usually very tight when it comes to style. I expect more when purchasing a premium product from a premium brand name. There's my 2 cents.

I think the cables are white so they blend into the background: the brick plugged into the outlet should match the wall, not the computer. Much better than black, IMHO. I suppose silver would be cool, too, but it's not a big issue to me.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
the thing i find most amuzing was with my iBook the tip of the power adapter that plugs into the laptop is silver (matches the PB) while the power adapter tip that plugs into the PB is white (matches the iBook). what ever color your power brick is, it is smaller and looks a lot better than any peecee power adapter!!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
wPod said:
the thing i find most amuzing was with my iBook the tip of the power adapter that plugs into the laptop is silver (matches the PB) while the power adapter tip that plugs into the PB is white (matches the iBook). what ever color your power brick is, it is smaller and looks a lot better than any peecee power adapter!!

Maybe you guys could arrange a swap...

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
I really don't mind the white, I think fake alluminium looking cable would look just that, fake. They would also feel cheap as your eyes would make the assumption they are metal but actually theyre plastic. Maybe they could make them metal, but then those twisted wire cables you get can't coil up as tightly, and everything would get heavier. Anyway I doubt it will change anytime soon, it's not an oversight by Apple they use the white plastic with alluminium on the display and ipod minis too.

panda

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
plugs

wPod said:

totally agree with you guys.

in fact the old white ibooks g3 had the silver plug. the new g4 ibooks have a white plug (as do the new pbs).

i can live with the white cable and brick, but please, give me a silver plug!!!

:)

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
As of late, Apple has been using white on all of their cables. So if you want them to put silver cables on PB's, then you would have to have blue cables on blue minis.....(so on and so on) i think it is just fashion now a days.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
If you'll recall, the last time Apple matched the adapter to the powerbook, it was to match the TiBook, and the adapter they released was what is affectionately referred to as the "yo-yo". For those who don't recall it, it was a round adapter, which the wire coiled around, and it was a greyish metal colour. The tip was metal, and the wall cord (as it required one, unlike the current brick) was grey. Altogether, it was ugly. The white goes much better. With even the tip being white, it blends perfectly into surroundings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.