Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azungu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2019
Hi,
Trying to boot into a 2006 White MacBook and nothing works! I tried all the Boot Key-combinations but I get is Apple with spinning circle, Folder with "?" or a with screen. I even try to clean install on brand new SSD.
I try as well to use Drive from a functioning White MacBook bur same result.
The only thing that seem to work is boot into single user Mode. But not sure what to do with only a command line?
Any suggestions?

azungu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2019
Or no OS installed.
I tried to boot from USB on a blank SSD / original HDD with OS X installed and still get a white blank screen after selecting the USB Installer...
[automerge]1575516670[/automerge]
Replace the SATA cable.
With the original HDD with OS X installed, when I boot in to Single User Mode, I can access the drive: SATA cable seem to work properly...

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I would replace it anyway. With a machine that old, it's possible the cable is intermittent. A new hard drive or SSD is going to stress that cable quite a bit more than the original hard drive. Also, when replacing the drive watch for the side holders in the drive slot. I've seen those come loose and cause weird things to happen. Good luck with it. Those old white MacBooks are great classic machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.