Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I was dead set on getting the white MK for my née 12.9” IPP. But now Im debating whether the white one will look dull and gets dirty faster than the black one. Any thoughts?

meDANOcine

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
You read my mind. I remember the ’good old days’ of the white iBook and MacBook (pour one out for the BlackBook). The biggest problem with those was the discoloration and dirt on the white palm rests and keyboards.
I was set on the white too, then decided to go back to black. I’ve had a black keyboard for 2.5 years with my 11” and it still looks good, so I’ll be sticking with black

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
If any other white keyboard from the past is an indication, they tend to show dirt quite easily.

Reactions: Surfer13134

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
I'm more worried about the visibility of the keys. I mean, the keyboard is white, the backlight is white...

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
i went with the space gray 12.9” and black Magic Keyboard. Now the wait starts

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I am going with contrast colour. Black keyboard and silver iPad
I had this combo on my 11” pro, but the contrasting color made the MK looks like an after market keyboard you buy from Amazon. Just my 2 cent.

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I’ve ordered one, mainly due to white MacBook nostalgia. Bracing myself for regret when it inevitability discolours.

If it all goes pear shaped, D Brand skin will cover up the worst of it.

Reactions: Dopestar

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I had this combo on my 11” pro, but the contrasting color made the MK looks like an after market keyboard you buy from Amazon. Just my 2 cent.

Same - I prefer the silver iPad, but the dark case/keyboard just has this generic look to it. I’m keeping my current iPad but I was a sucker and ordered the white keyboard.

I’ve ordered one, mainly due to white MacBook nostalgia. Bracing myself for regret when it inevitability discolours.

Same, ordered the white more to change it up and get something fresh looking. Really wish we had a nice selection of colours, would be a fun way to mix up the iPad look (kind of like when we had an assortment of Smart Covers for iPads back in the day).

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
"Everything will be black. Blacker than the blackest black, times infinity"

- Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

OK, it's Space Gray, not black. But it looks closer to black than gray to me.

Reactions: ericwn

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Same, ordered the white more to change it up and get something fresh looking. Really wish we had a nice selection of colours, would be a fun way to mix up the iPad look (kind of like when we had an assortment of Smart Covers for iPads back in the day).

More colors would have been amazing. Space grey keyboard = boring. White = likely to show stains/discoloration too quickly (but I went for it anyways because I want a change. But if we could pick blue? Pink? Purple? Yellow? Green? Would be amazing. Just because we go pro doesn't mean we don't want fun colors :( (same goes for iPhone - at least they added gold and blue to the 12 Pro, but honestly I'd love even more colors, and same goes for the iPad Pros, Macbook Pros.. I'm sure Apple did all the consumer testing and found that those colors are more popular on the low end items, but I'm still disappointed. I want the best specs AND the fun colors).

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I debated getting the white keyboard and ended up getting the black one to use with my 2018 IPP (waiting on the new iPad to see if WWDC opens up new iPad use cases). In the end I decided that I want the screen to be focus of my attention and thought the white color might be distracting.
I was VERY surprised to get a May 4 arrival date for the new Magic Keyboard. Thought it would be later like the iPad.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I debated getting the white keyboard and ended up getting the black one to use with my 2018 IPP (waiting on the new iPad to see if WWDC opens up new iPad use cases). In the end I decided that I want the screen to be focus of my attention and thought the white color might be distracting.
I was VERY surprised to get a May 4 arrival date for the new Magic Keyboard. Thought it would be later like the iPad.

hope they ship they right version keyboard. Mine is arriving on 5/4 as well but my 12.9” pro will be toward end of the month. It’ll be suck if I find out they shipped the old version MK that won’t fit my new pro, and by then 14 day return period will be ended.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC

I used to rely on this to keep my white iBook clean. Worked great, with no mess. I planning on using it for the white Magic Keyboard.
iu.jpeg

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Even the “black” MK is just dark grey. The material they used is prone to attracting smudges and grime and mine looks pretty dirty even though I don’t use the iPad every day.

Would want the white one but I worry that it would look worse than the current black MK.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Received my black 12.9” Magic keyboard today. Looks like it fits gen 3,4 and 5 12.9” IPPs. So I guess the new MK will backward compatible with previous gens but the outgoing 12.9” MK won’t fit gen 5 perfectly?

Attachments

• 6DD43BA2-096F-4B1D-9ACD-A7F4AECFB051.jpeg
    6DD43BA2-096F-4B1D-9ACD-A7F4AECFB051.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: travis64

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
The black magic keyboard responds well to being wiped down with damp cloth / soap / alcoholic pads. Maybe the white will as well.

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Received my black 12.9” Magic keyboard today. Looks like it fits gen 3,4 and 5 12.9” IPPs. So I guess the new MK will backward compatible with previous gens but the outgoing 12.9” MK won’t fit gen 5 perfectly?
That's the thinking many of us had early on. It was just legally covering themselves when the latest gen iPP didn't fit PERFECTLY with previous model, because of it's additional thickness. You've had to see the posts on this forum, people freak out because there's a scuff in the box or the slightest imagined gap with any Apple product. I'm wondering if the hinge mechanism / charge port is a little thicker to account for the slightly increased thickness of the 2020 iPP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.