Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tanglemac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
I was able to snag a new iPad Pro last Friday with the black Magic Keyboard. Even though I try really hard to keep my hands clean, I’m already seeing finger oil spots and smudges on the outside of the keyboard. I also have to say I don’t really like the feel of the material when picking up and holding the iPad in the keyboard.

I’m considering getting a skin for this keyboard and/or exchanging it for a white model. I think a skin on the black model would mostly solve the issues, but I also like the look of the white keyboard. I don’t think the white model will show finger oils in the same way, but do worry it might eventually get dirty in other ways that are hard to clean. There aren’t as many skin options that would work on the white one, but I do see some that could work. I imagine more options will be available soon.

What do you all think? For anyone that has had both colors of Magic Keyboard, which color do you think will hold up better over time? The white is new, so we’re all still in the honeymoon period, but which do you like better?

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
I’ve had both and I prefer the white Magic Keyboard personally. I can’t see dead skin, dust, smudges, etc. on it whatsoever. It just looks sleek. I think it’ll stay clean better than the black as long as you are not doing insane things with your hands before using it. Who knows if it’ll hold up over the long run, but I like it MUCH better than the black Magic Keyboard. I would highly recommend it.

Reactions: johntw

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I’ve had both and I prefer the white Magic Keyboard personally. I can’t see dead skin, dust, smudges, etc. on it whatsoever. It just looks sleek. I think it’ll stay clean better than the black as long as you are not doing insane things with your hands before using it. Who knows if it’ll hold up over the long run, but I like it MUCH better than the black Magic Keyboard. I would highly recommend it.
It also looks better with the silver iPad Pro.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
The white keys will probably stay cleaner looking, but I shied away from white because of the exterior. However, black shows a lot of dust, fingerprints and smudges on the outside cover, so I’d say go with what you like. Both have their positives and negatives.

tanglemac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
I’ve been buying space gray Apple stuff for years. I think my iPad has been space gray since the original Air or Air 2. But I’m strongly leaning towards switching to the silver and a white mkb when I return the 12.9 I bought last Friday and get the 11 instead.

Side note: this was my first 12.9. I was upgrading from a 10.5” Pro, I wanted to see if I liked the big one. After about one week, I’m 95% sure I want to switch to the 11.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I have this one on my 2020 MK using with a 2021 iPP. It doesn't pick up dirt or dust, or fingerprints. Or, maybe it just hides them well :p The only downside, at least for this skin is it does make the set-up a little slick vs. the non-skinned set-up. Not a problem on a level, hard surface, or lap.

They have all styles and colors.

61iUkI9CnXL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I don't have any wear problems with the black Magic Keyboard. I am very careful with my tech devices. I can confirm that it does need wiping down a lot, even in a clean environment like mine.
I do think Apple has improved the folios over time. I had one for my 3rd generations 12.9" iPP and it actually started showing a weave pattern coming through from where my hands held the folio. I have not seen that on my 2018 iPP Apple folio, though I still think it is hard to keep from getting greased up, and then hard to wipe clean.

I just got a 2021 Apple plain folio for my 2021 iPP 12.9". It seem no easier to keep clean. The rubbery finish seems the same as the 2018 stuff.

I'm not complaining. But I had hoped Apple would have found a better material. Their design, as ever, is very, very, good.

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
Durand skin is going on the back of my iPad and on my magic keyboard. Easier to keep clean and I love the texture of the matrix/swarm skin.

Reactions: jazz1

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I need to pick up a magic keyboard can’t decide on black or white` lol. I feel white makes it look even larger. By may actually show less. Using this new 12.9 in bright sun in unreal can see everything easily.

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016
I need to pick up a magic keyboard can’t decide on black or white` lol. I feel white makes it look even larger. By may actually show less. Using this new 12.9 in bright sun in unreal can see everything easily.
White, especially if you have a Silver iPad Pro.

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
White most definitely, I have the white since launch on my silver 11, and space grey 12.9 and not a mark on either of them, looks futuristic when the keyboard lights come on, and feels a much better material. I bought the black recently and only had to look at it in a funny way and marks would appear, plus it seems a rougher lesser quality material. Suits space grey really well as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.