Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

White or Black MacBook?

• Glossy White

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Matte Black

Votes: 29 53.7%

• Total voters

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
So now you're thinking, "omfg, why dont people ever stop making threads like this."

But now, apparently the new blackbooks dont get fingerprints, so if the new blackbooks are like fingerprint free, would you get white or black? and why, just thought a neat way for people to say and protect their opinions, answer the poll!!

Silver-Fox

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
England
black, i was going to get the black one but then chose the white, but now i kinda regret it, looks better in black in my opinion

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I wanted the White MB...

but they didn't have my configurations on the day of the release, so they offered me the BlackBook 2.4 250GB 4GBSDRAM, NO additional charge. I notice that the BlackBook tends to pick-up the oil in my hands and fingertips, but they are easily removed with the cloth that comes with the new BlackBook. I've never seen something like that before except with my iPhone. Has that been confirmed that the BlackBook is a different case? :confused:

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
black, i was going to get the black one but then chose the white, but now i kinda regret it, looks better in black in my opinion

so which did you pick, i love the whitebook, but just because we just got a family macbook thats white i guess, i actually really like the blackbook, but now its falling off me.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
but they didn't have my configurations on the day of the release, so they offered me the BlackBook 2.4 250GB 4GBSDRAM, NO additional charge. I notice that the BlackBook tends to pick-up the oil in my hands and fingertips, but they are easily removed with the cloth that comes with the new BlackBook. I've never seen something like that before except with my iPhone. Has that been confirmed that the BlackBook is a different case? :confused:

YES!!! weird, i heard instead of apple painting the macbook black, in the penryn models, the plastic is black.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan

tbh i really dont think it does.. as others have said apple would have stated this, saying new "stronger" or "looks better" or something macbook.

pyr0sphere

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada

If anything, he just said that his Blackbook still has the fingerprint problems so I don't know why you're (the OP) still so excited.

Anyway, either way, you are still paying the premium for the colour. If you really care about the looks, consider the fact that more people will mistake your Macbook for a cheap laptop from another manufacturer if you get the black one compared to the white one.

White laptop just screams Apple. Black ones do not.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
If anything, he just said that his Blackbook still has the fingerprint problems so I don't know why you're (the OP) still so excited.

Anyway, either way, you are still paying the premium for the colour. If you really care about the looks, consider the fact that more people will mistake your Macbook for a cheap laptop from another manufacturer if you get the black one compared to the white one.

White laptop just screams Apple. Black ones do not.

Let me tell you a story:

Walking down the streets on Annapolis from the Naval Academy, I looked in through one of the windows on the street, and there was a party in this townhouse, god damn did a black macbook just pop out at me, my head stopped as my body kept walking, and i fell:p

jk, but the black macbook really caught my eyes in a room full of people, true story it actually happened on saturday, i was at the naval academy cuz i had a swim meet, i live in MD.

priller

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2007

That's one of the reasons I don't like the black macbook. Even if they were the same price I'd still buy white.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Let me tell you a story:

Walking down the streets on Annapolis from the Naval Academy, I looked in through one of the windows on the street, and there was a party in this townhouse, god damn did a black macbook just pop out at me, my head stopped as my body kept walking, and i fell:p

jk, but the black macbook really caught my eyes in a room full of people, true story it actually happened on saturday, i was at the naval academy cuz i had a swim meet, i live in MD.

Great story. No, really :p

I'm surprised they still let people on the Yard...since apparently they never let the mids off on liberty anymore. New supe's a hardass from what I've heard.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Great story. No, really :p

I'm surprised they still let people on the Yard...since apparently they never let the mids off on liberty anymore. New supe's a hardass from what I've heard.

no lmao, you made my day by that, i was in the streets of Annapolis, i clearly said that in my story, so it was like town houses, and the houses were weird, so right on the sidewalk was a window into somebody's house, i looked into the window as i was walking, and kinda stopped when i saw the black MB:p.

Dsr1205

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
bottom line is prefference. The black books show finger oils (trackpad yuck!) much easier and may or may not show fingerprints (give it a week man lol). The whitebooks collect hand dirt like a ...a....dirt collector? Basically. it comes down to what color do i like the most? I would personally buy a MBP to avoid the two options above becasue aluminum is dead sexy.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
bottom line is prefference. The black books show finger oils (trackpad yuck!) much easier and may or may not show fingerprints (give it a week man lol). The whitebooks collect hand dirt like a ...a....dirt collector? Basically. it comes down to what color do i like the most? I would personally buy a MBP to avoid the two options above becasue aluminum is dead sexy.

Haha, thats not my option, I already have a powerhorse sexy Al iMac for work, no need for an MBP, just if the macbooks get aluminum.

ItTakesII

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Miami, FL
I think that it just looks so much more like a Mac in white :D I love everything in black usually, but when it comes down to the Mac I think the white gives it that "clean" and "neat" look. Not to mention the price difference XD

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA

What's odd to me is that I just got my first black MacBook Tuesday early afternoon and I have used it a lot and yet I haven't seen any smudges or such. This is not a new one either, it is a 2.2 gig refurb. Yet this baby looks brand spanking new!
I would think from all that I read on this I would see smudges at first touch, yet so far nothing!
Im a happy camper with this unit! :)

GirthP

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
The blackbook looks nothing like a "normal pc laptop". Don't kid yourself.

I'd always get the Black one.

Buy what you like and can afford. Is this really that hard to figure out?

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
The blackbook looks nothing like a "normal pc laptop". Don't kid yourself.

I'd always get the Black one.

Buy what you like and can afford. Is this really that hard to figure out?

Yes, they are both beautiful colors and finishes, how the f*** am i supposed to know which to pick :p

I am really stuck here, but the main purpose of this thread was to see people's opinions

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Yes, they are both beautiful colors and finishes, how the f*** am i supposed to know which to pick :p

I am really stuck here, but the main purpose of this thread was to see people's opinions

Well your gonna get both responses as many bought white or black and they that bought them love em!
Me I love my white iMAC and was really hesitant on getting a black macbook. I got such a good deal on a refurb I got the black one and took a chance and man I just Love it also. They both look great! Still can't make up your mind? Then toss a coin--))) Either way you'll love it and they both do the same thing! Just buy it. No one else can do your thinking for ya. Buy what feels right for YOU and forget what others think.

Just my 2 cents--))) Either way best of luck in which ever one you pick. ;)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I had a core duo whitebook and now have a SR blackbook and I like the black much more. The white gets dirty and stains way too easily, while the fingerprints on the black come off easily.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
Well, when I was making my decision, I really really wanted the Blackbook, because from pictures and such, I really liked the black colour moreso than the white..But because I'm in High School and not made of money, I chose to not pay the black tax, and got the low-end white model. A few days after I got my computer, I visited Western Michigan for a tour and a hang out with my friend Alex (Who also has a Macbook :) Non-SR, though), and in one of the hallways, there was a girl with a black macbook. Being the creep I am, I just kind got in really close to this person I don't know's laptop and looked it over. I decided I was glad I got the white, and still am, though, I probably should've went for the mid-model. I'm not one to fret, though, and I love my computer, so, it makes no difference to me :D Can't wait for my Macbook Pro for college, though. Berklee College of Music for the win!

Edit: Wait, I'm confused by the poll...Do the Blackbooks have Matte screens now?

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Well, when I was making my decision, I really really wanted the Blackbook, because from pictures and such, I really liked the black colour moreso than the white..But because I'm in High School and not made of money, I chose to not pay the black tax, and got the low-end white model. A few days after I got my computer, I visited Western Michigan for a tour and a hang out with my friend Alex (Who also has a Macbook :) Non-SR, though), and in one of the hallways, there was a girl with a black macbook. Being the creep I am, I just kind got in really close to this person I don't know's laptop and looked it over. I decided I was glad I got the white, and still am, though, I probably should've went for the mid-model. I'm not one to fret, though, and I love my computer, so, it makes no difference to me :D Can't wait for my Macbook Pro for college, though. Berklee College of Music for the win!

Edit: Wait, I'm confused by the poll...Do the Blackbooks have Matte screens now?

white has a glossy finish, black has a matte finish, which is why it costs more.

Muzzway

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
I would've gotten black were it the same price as white; honestly, white seems kind of tacky to me. :eek:

HoldFastHope

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Sydney, AU
I'm voting white, even though I haven't seen the new BlackBooks so I can't vouch for the new plastic.

I've heard that the trackpad is the same, and will look shiny eventually. Assuming my black ipod has the same trackpad, it does look kinda crap after a while.

Mine will be in a case most of the time, so I think scratches are a non issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.