Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Christmas / wedding / birthday / iLoveThank You gifts in the next 3 months to my loved ones. What's the maximum number of order they allow - 2 or 4?

I saved money for this plus part of year end bonus at work and extra-money on investments.

It's time they get to experience the wonderful iWorld. :)

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
My wife wants an ipad bad but If I was to bring this home to her as a gift she would say 'nice try' and take my 10' ipad and I would be stuck with the kiddy pad.....(that's what she calls them).

briceman

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
I'll be getting one for my wife, who's birthday is November 3rd. She's been waiting for a smaller form factor iPad. She tried the Kindle Fire but did not like the OS at all, so returned it.

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
coworker #1: Mini
coworker #2: Mini & 3 (if re-done with Lightning plug)
me: Mini

thats 3 mini's to be bought in a 9 people office. 1 Mini and the 3 are gifts.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Depending upon the price of the 16GB model, I may order one for my daughter for Christmas. I will definitely be ordering one for myself though.

DTMfan

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
I'll be getting a 32gb version for travel.. My wife and I argue over who gets our 3 all the time :).

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I was planning on buying a few, as they would indeed make great gifts for the tech enthusiasts in the family. I for one think it would be a great companion to my full size iPad 3.

However Apple's new acerbic attitude towards the competition, their rather sloppy quality control, and the ditching of Google maps has me put off.

So I'm taking a wait and see approach. The Nexus 7 tablets I bought are quite good and have proven more fun than I expected.

Sadly the incentive and excitement once present in the latest Apple products has faded from my perspective. Time will reveal more. I will happily wait.

Apple doesn't need the money anyway :)

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
If the price list that leaked is to be believed, I'll preorder the 8 GB as a web/email/Netlfix/iTunes Match device.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Why would anyone think about buying something we don't know anything about? The display could be black and white with poor resolution (I know not very likely). I love some of their products, but they need to convince me first. A rumour alone is not enough for me to even think about parting with my money.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
Why would anyone think about buying something we don't know anything about? The display could be black and white with poor resolution (I know not very likely). I love some of their products, but they need to convince me first. A rumour alone is not enough for me to even think about parting with my money.

I was coming her to say exactly the same thing. Until its announced and official, its just a fantasy.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I'm traveling the month of November and will definitely be looking to buy something. If the price and specs are right, it'll be a mini. If not, it'll be a Nexus 7.

If the mini is hit the mark on specs and price, I will likely buy one for my daughter for Christmas and at least 2 for relatives over the holidays. It will likely be a graduation present next spring for my nephews as well.

(I think the Nexus could do the same things, but there is the perceptions the Nexus is a 'cheap knockoff' with a difficult to use OS that would prevent me from giving it as a gift.)

I could very easily see buying 5 in the next 9 months. If the mini came out, I doubt I would have bought a regular sized iPad for those same people.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I'll be ordering 5 of them for xmas gifts if/when they exist. If not, the same people are getting Kindle Fires.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
I'll be getting one for my wife, who's birthday is November 3rd. She's been waiting for a smaller form factor iPad. She tried the Kindle Fire but did not like the OS at all, so returned it.

The Kindle Fire HD is a great tablet. The screen is stunning. The leather cover is something Apple seriously needs to emulate.

However ... that "carousel" on the home screen drove me absolutely nuts! Horrible OS! Oh, and I desperately missed the home button :)

Returned it last week and await the forthcoming Mini!

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Wirelessly posted

Two for my kids and if my wife takes a liking to it, one for her too.

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2010
Getting one for my mom's 60th next month (hopefully 11/2, when we go visit), and my wife wants the mini for Christmas, to replace her Kindle Fire.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Seeing the statements above, you can see where this is primed to be Apple's biggest seller.

With the full sized iPad you heard people talking about buying one for themselves. For maybe one for them and a spouse. With iPad mini you are hearing plans to buy multiple devices off the bat with it being an easy gift' for the upcoming future.

Of course a lot of that hinges on the price/value being right. I know hard core Apple fans 'cringe' at the very notion of 'value' being brought into the equation, but items ~$300 fly off the shelves as impulse gift, 'treat myself items'. Whether it be golf drivers, Coach purses, etc. There is a reason the iPhone is subsidized to be $199 or $299....because that's an amount that people are very comfortable spending without it being a 'huge' purchase.

iPad sales were tremendous. But I think the mini could potentially double the sales of the larger model.

A total stroke of luck for Apple. They had pretty much written off the smaller market. And they gave everyone a year headstart. But once they saw there was a market for it, they were able to quickly retool to make one and can literally print money because a lot of people will want to stay within the Apple ecosystem.

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
I was coming her to say exactly the same thing. Until its announced and official, its just a fantasy.

this thread was aparently not for you. so why do u bother. let people dream if they want to. such d-bags around here

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
If retina, my little sister may be getting one for Xmas. If it's not, not worth purchasing at any price, even if one landed on my lap free in a giveaway, would just sell it rather than gifting. ew.

Done with non-retina mobile products, everything else feels subpar and antique since my iPhone got that quality of screen over 2yrs ago now.

edit: meaning.
1024 res at 7.85". 163ppi like original iPhone from 2007 (zero value)
2048 res at 7.85". 326ppi like iPhone 4 (2010)... buy.

Ohter...
1600x1200 res at 7.85". 255ppi similar to iPad (2012)... buy.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.