Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Adam1988

macrumors regular
Original poster
HELLO EVERYONE!
I am trying to get a new macbook pro since i been stationed all my time with my imac.
Will someone be helpful to be nice to me and guide me where i can get a cheap macbook pro 2017 or 2018?

I never had a macbook pro and im looking to invest for the long run like 10 years or less for the macbook pro since i know apple has powerful components and also powerful software and HARDWARE which is the one that makes it last.

I want to buy a macbook pro and willing to since i will move out to japan later if it happens if not i still need it to go mobile or on the go.

I was deciding and made research for the macbook pro and also the ipad pro but the ipad pro wont offer the same as the macbook pro does.

Just wondering i already made up my mind but before i go to best buy and get it and buy extra retail price, maybe there is a different solution to it.

I was looking forward to buy it online in a safe place where you can buy it NOT RETAIL PRICE but to PURCHASE PRODUCT PRICE.

Anyways if anyone knows a good site ill be more than happy to return the favor with specs and other quality help for any matter. thank you in advanced and have a wonderful day!

:apple::):D

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA
Cheap price - Craigslist, LetGo, OfferUp, Classified, Family, Friends, Etc.

If you could just go today and purchase a "cheap" MBP online that is where everyone would go. Supply & Demand control price. Not really a place to find a deal. Maybe purchase someplace tax-free or Apple refurb if you want new but want to save a few $s.

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Best buy is selling the 2017 15" for $800 off (i7/1tb/16gb). Even have an open box for another $400 off. Good deal if you want a 2017.

Reactions: Adam1988

Adam1988

macrumors regular
Original poster
Cheap price - Craigslist, LetGo, OfferUp, Classified, Family, Friends, Etc.

If you could just go today and purchase a "cheap" MBP online that is where everyone would go. Supply & Demand control price. Not really a place to find a deal. Maybe purchase someplace tax-free or Apple refurb if you want new but want to save a few $s.
Thanks alot i know apple is not cheap but sometimes someplace do offer what others dont so thank you very much since my trip will be for several years even my whole lifetime span:)
[doublepost=1540459164][/doublepost]
Best buy is selling the 2017 15" for $800 off (i7/1tb/16gb). Even have an open box for another $400 off. Good deal if you want a 2017.
Any best buy or selected
Ones? Mmm now u made
Me think twice! Lol
[doublepost=1540459252][/doublepost]
No such thing as a cheap Apple product. But you get what you pay for.

Best place for me would be Apple refurb - you can use the tracker site Refurb.me (https://www.refurb.me/en-us) to check prices and get alerts.
Thanks! I think refurbish items might fit my satisfaction since i have to prepare for a looong trip and many years to live in the other side of the country!
[doublepost=1540460021][/doublepost]

How can i check all that information?? Please help me do i just show the screenshot or thread to a best buy associate??? Mmm i really want to finish my prep. So i can be set for next year well January its around the corner yikes!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
im looking to invest for the long run like 10 years
I think given the design of the MBPs, with the butterfly keyboard, you will not get 10 years out of it

As for the cheapest price, I'd recommend MicroCenter or B&H Video, on Black Friday, that's about the best price for a new MBP. Going to ebay, or craigslist for a new in box cheap laptop is an invitation to be scammed. As others have stated, Apple is expensive and if you find a cheap model out there, that will raise red flags.

Reactions: Adam1988

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I never had a macbook pro and im looking to invest for the long run like 10 years

I wouldn't. A laptop is not a long-term investment, its a tool with many potential complex points of failure. It degrades over time and is prone sudden failures. You have somewhere around 50% chance that your laptop will survive more then 5-6 years and round 70% chance that it will survive the 3 year mark. Never rely on hardware that is out of warranty, it could fail at any time and without warning, meaning an expensive repair on something that is probably already quite outdated. If a MacBook Pro is prohibitively expensive for you, but you still want to buy one expecting it to last long time — just don't do it. Way too risky. As in the famous quote from EVE Online: "don't fly what you can't afford to lose".

FlushedNotRushed

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2018
I think given the design of the MBPs, with the butterfly keyboard, you will not get 10 years out of it

As for the cheapest price, I'd recommend MicroCenter or B&H Video, on Black Friday, that's about the best price for a new MBP. Going to ebay, or craigslist for a new in box cheap laptop is an invitation to be scammed. As others have stated, Apple is expensive and if you find a cheap model out there, that will raise red flags.
If I'm correct, B&H usually has sales on BF for their previous year model MBPs correct? Not the 2018 MBP ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.