Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tremendous

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
UK? Yeah I'm OK. Stop asking.
some of you are plain nuts. you've had a computer for 6 months and you freak out because a newer one has been released?

who else is rocking older hardware and is totally happy with it? I can't be the only non-insanely greedy person who has to have the newest stuff RIGHT NOW merely because it exists, am i?

The belief that a laptop becomes 'outdated' and 'old' and 'useless' and 'slow' just because a newer, slightly faster one is released is crazy. I can almost understand people who bought it within the last day or so being a little pee'd off, but even then...

Powerbook, and proud!

oh and it's not like i couldn't afford a new computer - i'm in no way loaded, but if i saved for a month, i could have a new one - but...i don't need it! not until the stuff i do on the powerbook becomes too much for it, or he finally goes to the big powerbook dump in the sky :( - and it's not like i'm not giving him a proper work out, either!

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I don't plan on upgrading my MBP anytime soon since I have only had it since July. I do plan on getting a new Macbook very soon though because I want to get rid of my XP laptops. The new MacBooks are now perfect.

crazyskillz07

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
I just freaked out because I didn't even get my macbook yet. So I has apple send me a shipping label and the package that arrives today is going back so I can pick one up at the store.

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Yeah i think you misread the question.

:D

I just got mine this last week...true it was 2nd hand so a lot cheaper but i'm 100% happy with it. Had there been a major redesign i'd have probably been gutted, but since it's only a tiny processor upgrade i really don't care!

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Get what you need when you need it. I lasted with an 867 Mhz 12" PB G4 for seven years and it's still in operation but my main computer is now an Alu iMac due to my need for CS3. It's great to have the extra speed but I wouldn't have needed it for MS Office.

The thing that I'm starting to realize is that there are going to be some great second hand and refurb macs out there. Because increasingly the new models are starting to go well beyond what anyone really needs in terms of power, so until something new comes out like FW3200, USB 3 or Blu-Ray drives, which people feel they would really like for future proofing themselves then the second hand machines will continue to be a very good choice.

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
My MBP, Bender, and I go everywhere together. We share a deep, meaningful bond... and no new, pretty face is gonna weaken that bond :D

Hahaha. In all reality though, some people are just gadget whores. I typically am, but I see no reason to bother getting rid of this one to get another one when the performance increase is nowhere near worth it! Multitouch can bite my shiny metal ass.

My iBook G4 is working just fine and likely will continue to do so for some time yet. I do however feel I would like to buy myself a new computer (It's my turn... my wife got a new iMac two months ago). I will however wait until the inevitable back to school savings and bundles ( read iPod give away). I'm not in that big a hurry.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
My 867MHz PowerBook is finally getting retired this time after five years of near-daily use. I can't understand why people need the latest and greatest, but let's face it it's their money, so who am I to lecture? :)

ahaley1986

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
i have a 2 and a half year old piece of crap inspiron 6000 and not upgrading to a macbook yet. i can't really say i am happy with my machine, but it works, so i'll be looking for a little more of a significant update of the macbook. hopefully this summer sometime.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
3 year old 15" 1,67 ghz pb G4 here. It runs Leopard & CS3 just fine, no need to upgrade. For heavy lifting I have a 24" 2,8 ghz iMac at home, but I actually use the pb more since I often work for agencies or with photographers at their studios.

I thought about getting a mbp when I bought the iMac but figured a second machine and keeping the pb was the better plan. I just needed something to write off tax. ;)

So yes, older macs are still very capable machines, and apart from that, they still look sexy. :)

yorkslad

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Yeah, just upgraded my 12"PB to Leopard, works fine. Was hoping updates were gonna include the ability to output my HD film editing to Blu-Ray, but will just wait till next update and hopefully some apple magic!!

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I purchased my 2.2 GHz Macbook 12 days ago and decided to trade up to the new version. It was worth it because I didn't need to pay a re-stocking fee and the new Macbook has a $75 rebate.

With that said, if I was outside of the return window, I would have been perfectly happy with the "older" hardware. It ran great. There is nothing wrong with the previous breed of Macbooks.

tremendous

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I purchased my 2.2 GHz Macbook 12 days ago and decided to trade up to the new version. It was worth it because I didn't need to pay a re-stocking fee and the new Macbook has a $75 rebate.

With that said, if I was outside of the return window, I would have been perfectly happy with the "older" hardware. It ran great. There is nothing wrong with the previous breed of Macbooks.

So what you're actually saying is you DID jump on the upgrade bandwagon?

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
My first Mac is this 3-month old BlackBook. For me, this Penryn speedbump isn't a big enough change to justify getting a new MacBook.

*Sits tight and waits for the backlit keyboard to come to MacBooks.*

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I am upgrading from a core duo macbook to a refurb SR macbook since the prices on refurbs fell so much yesterday. That said, it really ticks me off when people use words like "greedy" and "nuts" to describe those who upgrade more often. Who are you to pass judgment on what someone else does with their money? If you're happy with your PB then great, but that doesn't mean you have to attack those who do things differently.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
That said, it really ticks me off when people use words like "greedy" and "nuts" to describe those who upgrade more often. Who are you to pass judgment on what someone else does with their money? If you're happy with your PB then great, but that doesn't mean you have to attack those who do things differently.

I have to agree with this.

It's my money...................

<SLAP!>

It's my WIFE'S money, she'll spend it how she wants.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
People have the right to upgrade, if they want.

I haven't upgraded my notebook (12-inch 1.5 GHZ G4 Powerbook) cause it's still working nicely (knock on wood), they don't have the form factor I like anymore, and finally I use the current generation iMac, for 99.9 percent of my computer time. My notebook is just an extra that gets used occasionally.

I get tempted by like the Air sometimes, but I think I'll wait until it has a 5400RPM hard drive.

tremendous

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I am upgrading from a core duo macbook to a refurb SR macbook since the prices on refurbs fell so much yesterday. That said, it really ticks me off when people use words like "greedy" and "nuts" to describe those who upgrade more often. Who are you to pass judgment on what someone else does with their money? If you're happy with your PB then great, but that doesn't mean you have to attack those who do things differently.

love to replay but just gotta go and get a brand new something because this old one is looking a little passe. brb!!!!!!!!!!

in all seriousness - this isn't about upgrading, it's about upgrading within a few months of a purchase. yes, it is their money, but boy, do some of you spend it very unwisely. and people wonder why the global economy is tanking...

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
I couldn't justify the cost of my MBP without taking into account a long lifecycle. Machines this expensive should last a long time, not be replaced quickly.

If I wanted a disposable laptop I'd by a cheap dell.

tremendous

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I couldn't justify the cost of my MBP without taking into account a long lifecycle. Machines this expensive should last a long time, not be replaced quickly.

If I wanted a disposable laptop I'd by a cheap dell.

exactly! maybe it's just me, but i can't understand the notion of buying something expensive and being prepared to take a hit on it after 3 months for something so minor. especially considering that in another 3 months there will probably be another update...where does it end? What is the motivation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.