Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to spend more time on MacRumors as part of a decision to stop using Reddit?

• Yes

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Haven't decided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Eason85

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2017
Hong Kong
RIP NotebookReview forums.

I miss the days of having lots of individual forums where you could get expert advice on almost any topic. Then, most of them closed down due to competition from reddit consolidating. Now we can see why consolidation is bad -- thank goodness MacRumors has a variety of forums. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I’m not really a huge Reddit person and some of subs I frequent are now private due to the whole api brouhaha

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Lot of search results for product comparison and review are at the top google results for a lot of reddit subs. And nearly all of them have been set to private. That's super annoying. But I get it. We'll see where this goes I guess.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I already had a distaste for Reddit dating back many years, but this debacle has sealed the deal for me. I don't want anything to do with that site... There is nothing healthy about a site's users having such great disdain for its owner and vice versa, the attitudes that result are often disastrous. I consider the CEO to be at fault here, though I fear he is right in that this will blow over.

What I will concede is that Reddit is a very useful repository of information, Google search results have become laughably bad and therefore Reddit remains the easiest way to find a lot of info. Even Yahoo and Bing smoke Google results from my experience. Never would've imagined. I don't want to participate in the site, but it is necessary for its wealth of information.

Reactions: Eason85

Yep.

Suspended
Jun 13, 2023
Reddit is one of the most toxic places on earth. The CEO is awful. The whole site is extremely one-sided both politically and ideologically, unless you are in very specific subreddits. The homepage is a cesspool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.