Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
I've been using the iMac Pro for a week now. It really is faster than my old 2015 iMac for everything, even though it's basically using the same processor just with four extra cores. They're both using SSDs, so it's not like it's Fusion Drive v SSD. Sure, the old one had 16gig RAM and the new one has 64, but the old one never really struggled for memory.

The difference in general architecture seems to make more difference than the list of components.

The Vega56 is also excellent. I'm getting 75FPS in F1 2023 at 4k resolution in Bootcamp.

I'd be surprised if the vanilla 2020 iMac is any faster than the 2017 iMac Pro in general use personally, even though I know the benchmarks show the 2020 faster on occasion.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Even better still (and I do this), a divers bottle, but be I have to be really careful as mine are pressurised to 300 bar which is over 4000psi :eek:
You can buy an airgun attachment that clips onto the BCD hose (on the regulator). That keeps the pressure under control.

dadders6

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2019
Dallas
I bought a 21" in 2020, but later noticed ("about this Mac") that it was 'built' in 2017! Does that mean it was sitting on the (Best Buy) shelf for 3 years?! I've had no problems with it, and I love having multiple connectors on the back, even an SD card slot. The lack of connections on the newest Macs is very annoying to me, so I'm going to keep this one going as long as I can. It has 'only' 256 gig SSD, so I off load videos, music and photos to various external drives. I use iMovie quite a bit, but mostly fun amateur stuff, nothing too demanding, processor wise. I have a Win laptop for an older version of Adobe Audition. That Advanced S.M.A.R.T. program you screen shot, where do I find that? - Thanks

Attachments

• About this Mac 2017.png
    About this Mac 2017.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 13

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
I bought a 21" in 2020, but later noticed ("about this Mac") that it was 'built' in 2017!
Was it sold with a wireless Keyboard / Mouse too?
3 years of shelf life may have deeply depleted the built in batteries. I have got that experience. The keyboard could not hold a charge for more than 2-3 days. It could not be repaired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.