Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
yea, you'd still need a charger, and on 110V, you'll get ~ 4 miles/hour on a 12A charger

It is. I just don't have a dedicated 20A circuit going to the face of my garage. That's the only way I would be able to get 12A charging.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Would a 110 connection be adequate for the light-use car...given a 12+ hour overnight charge? That would save a second 220 circuit and wall charger.
It would/should. Our Villa in south of france has terrible electrics, but we don't drive much (perhaps 5 miles per day if that) when we are down there. So I just use a normal socket to top it up. It is slow.

But at the main residence whilst the slower charging doesn't have to be an issue, I find the lack of convenience for the sake of a few hundred to a certified electrician is. Our residence in the UK has one charger, but we only have one electric vehicle. I'm spending a lot of my time in the Netherlands where we are renovating our new to be residence, and we are putting in all the convenience of 2 full 3-phase charging points to get the maximum possible on AC for convenience purposes.

As we are renovating it will be also backed by a smart home system with power wall storage, solar, etc…We didn't do that in the UK house, but we know we are going to a full EV only household and need to rewire and do up absolutely everything anyway.

I understand they are less common in the USA, but I really like smart charger (well on AC the charger is in the car, so technically it is a just a smart supply but most people call them wall chargers) as it allows for good integration with the home, and no need to fiddle with settings in the car. So no surprises when out and about and using destination chargers. To me, architecturally, it makes sense to many the supply side opposed to the demand side, often also easier to integrate with energy tarrifs, solar generation, feed-in etc.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
It is. I just don't have a dedicated 20A circuit going to the face of my garage. That's the only way I would be able to get 12A charging.
makes sense.
most grades have a 110V outlet and for those with a PHEV that's good enough, and for few with low miles per day needs, that will work too ...

Reactions: Tagbert

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
All this talk of different voltages and the like is quite confusing for those that are not in the US.
Here in the UK all our sockets are 240v.

We have slow chargers (usually called a granny charger). You plug it in to ANY socket. It just takes a long time.
1709058211761.png

Then dedicated fast chargers. These are the chargers you get installed at home. POD point or Zappi being two examples.
1709058326659.png

Then fast or rapid chargers are the type you use at the motorway services. They have the DC connection with the two extra pins.

1709058460456.png

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Just thought the above might be useful for people. Not trying to teach people to suck eggs.
Don’t forget we also have various single phase and three phase connections. And that on AC they aren’t actually chargers even though we all call them chargers. And don’t even get me started on the dodgy electrics in the UK, our home had LOL literally fuse with wind them yourself fuse wire around them. And now I’m seeing so many posts with people buying and installing cheap chargers, god knows what kind of building approval certificates come with those, or proper earth. I never understand someone buying say a £40K+ car and then skimp on a few hundred quid.

So no, it’s isn’t that straight forward in my opinion.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I have a dedicated 220V 50 Amps circuit going to my Tesla wall Connecter. Using the 80% rule (only loading a circuit to 80% of its rating) that means continuous charging at 40 Amps which provides me around 9.6 kW.

I can charge my TMY 75 kWh battery about 30% in 2.5 hrs at 9.6 kW (in my semi heated garage after driving, so warmed battery). Battery temp matters, my wife's TM3 needs heating to get a full 9.6 kW charge.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I have a dedicated 220V 50 Amps circuit going to my Tesla wall Connecter. Using the 80% rule (only loading a circuit to 80% of its rating) that means continuous charging at 40 Amps which provides me around 9.6 kW.

I can charge my TMY 75 kWh battery about 30% in 2.5 hrs at 9.6 kW (in my semi heated garage after driving, so warmed battery). Battery temp matters, my wife's TM3 needs heating to get a full 9.6 kW charge.
Doesn’t Tesla BMS automatically warm the battery whilst on a level 2 charger? Our Polestar onboard charger is rated at 11kW but doesn’t need warming for such low speeds. It would only warm the battery if you set a departure time to ensure you have immediate efficiency.

Also do you publicly charge? I’ve been looking at a few Model Xs from new (didn’t like the horizontal screen being obscured by the steering wheel) to a raven, and even an older 100d. What really disappoints me is the charging curve, they all seem to hold the max speed for only like 10%. What is the TMY and TM3 like?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

lol. Heated garage! We are lucky to put the heating on in the house over here!

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Doesn’t Tesla BMS automatically warm the battery whilst on a level 2 charger? Our Polestar onboard charger is rated at 11kW but doesn’t need warming for such low speeds. It would only warm the battery if you set a departure time to ensure you have immediate efficiency.

Also do you publicly charge? I’ve been looking at a few Model Xs from new (didn’t like the horizontal screen being obscured by the steering wheel) to a raven, and even an older 100d. What really disappoints me is the charging curve, they all seem to hold the max speed for only like 10%. What is the TMY and TM3 like?

It does warm the battery when connected to the L2 wall connector. My wife gets home at 2 pm and parks outside (winter in NY), I get home at 6 pm. When I get home, I plug in her car the car has been sitting for hours and needs to warm up the battery to get up to the max 9.6+ kW. I can see in the app and hear the car start generating heat. But this delays the charge.

Before anyone asks, I manage the charging for my wife, just like I used to fill her tank.

I use a L2 free charger at the grocery store parking lot (when it isn't being used), because, it's free. I have used Tesla superchargers 3 times. On Friday last week, I forgot to charge my TMY. When I got to work, I used a street L2 charger, even though I think I could have made it home (but I don't take chances, since my 2-year-old commutes with me).

TMY and TM3 are much better at L3+ charging than the older S/X. S/X originally didn't have the thermal management that they have in the TMY/TM3. This is why the older S/X batteries fail... In order to reduce the battery failures, the older S/X drastically reduce charging speeds.

When I was using a supercharger on my 21 TMY, I navigated to the supercharger (preconditioned by arrival), I was getting 150kW - 200 kW and went from 45% - 80% in 10 - 15 minutes. This was in the winter.

Another thing to note is, if you navigate to a Supercharger and it is too far from you, it will precondition and then not be warm by the time you reach. I learned this after my first time at the Supercharger. I now navigate like usual, then 10-15 mins before I would get to a Supercharger, I then change my navigation destination to the supercharger.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
lol. Heated garage! We are lucky to put the heating on in the house over here!

lol. My "2 car" garage is under my 2 extra bedrooms. The hot water heater lines run through the garage, up to the radiators in the rooms. They do have insulation on them, but enough escapes to keep the room in the 60's F when it is in the 30's F outside. If the basement was freezing, the upstairs floors would be freezing.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
lol. My "2 car" garage is under my 2 extra bedrooms. The hot water heater lines run through the garage, up to the radiators in the rooms. They do have insulation on them, but enough escapes to keep the room in the 60's F when it is in the 30's F outside. If the basement was freezing, the upstairs floors would be freezing.
We keep our house at 15 C. That’s 59 F.
Looking forward to summer!

• Wow
Reactions: cyb3rdud3

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Are you a vampire, cuz then it all is starting to make sense... Not wanting a vehicle too large, because an i3 feels more like the coffin you are used to sleeping in...
Not really my choice on the heating. Mrs AFB is very frugal. We both wear many layers!

But the cost of heating in the UK is crazy. But I'd be happier at 18 for at least some part of the day.

As for the i3, with the exception of the boot it is very roomy inside for a car of its size. If i do need to move things around I just drop the rear seats. No use for them much anyhow.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
I am currently driving a PHEV with 40 miles range. I park my car outside of my fenced in property.

I ran electric out to the fence to run tools, and pressure washers etc, but didn't anticipate charging a EV so I only ran a thick gauge 110 connection with a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

I was preparing to rip it out and put in a L2 charger, but so far I have never had an issue charging it at 110v.

Every morning the battery is full with 40 miles of range, and I am on my way.

The nice thing about PHEV is that I never have range anxiety. In the event I need to drive further I can just run the gas engine. Still have never filled the tank as 40 miles is more than enough for my commute and whatever errands I need to run.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Not really my choice on the heating. Mrs AFB is very frugal. We both wear many layers!

But the cost of heating in the UK is crazy. But I'd be happier at 18 for at least some part of the day.

As for the i3, with the exception of the boot it is very roomy inside for a car of its size. If i do need to move things around I just drop the rear seats. No use for them much anyhow.

I don't think 59*F is healthy... Just sayin'.

I have a 2-year-old, I'm sure Child Protective Services would be called if someone found out that I kept my house at that temp.

There has to be some cost to washing the 17 layers of clothes you have to wear to try to stay alive. Also, I guess it is easy to see if your partner is still alive, since you can see her breath...

I'm just messing with you. But WOW that's crazy.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I am currently driving a PHEV with 40 miles range. I park my car outside of my fenced in property.

I ran electric out to the fence to run tools, and pressure washers etc, but didn't anticipate charging a EV so I only ran a thick gauge 110 connection with a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

I was preparing to rip it out and put in a L2 charger, but so far I have never had an issue charging it at 110v.

Every morning the battery is full with 40 miles of range, and I am on my way.

The nice thing about PHEV is that I never have range anxiety. In the event I need to drive further I can just run the gas engine. Still have never filled the tank as 40 miles is more than enough for my commute and whatever errands I need to run.
Just imagine if you had a current EV. It would be exactly the same bar having to lump an engine with you and having way more range on electric :)

Seriously there is no need for range anxiety with as good as any EV up for sale at the moment.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I don't think 59*F is healthy... Just sayin'.

I have a 2-year-old, I'm sure Child Protective Services would be called if someone found out that I kept my house at that temp.

There has to be some cost to washing the 17 layers of clothes you have to wear to try to stay alive. Also, I guess it is easy to see if your partner is still alive, since you can see her breath...

I'm just messing with you. But WOW that's crazy.
Its a daily challenge that's for sure. I'm in the office tomorrow for a warm!

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Boy, I haven't owned a car for years and while enthusiastic about EVs, I can only imagine what a noob would think about the anti-EV misinformation on the thread about Apple canceling their Apple Car project. It's hilarious and sad at the same time.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Boy, I haven't owned a car for years and while enthusiastic about EVs, I can only imagine what a noob would think about the anti-EV misinformation on the thread about Apple canceling their Apple Car project. It's hilarious and sad at the same time.
It gives me memories about when the iPhone launched and it didn't have an app store and folks were arguing that web apps were better.

Either EV's will reach a tipping point where they win, or they won't. Time will tell for sure.

Reactions: decafjava

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
It gives me memories about when the iPhone launched and it didn't have an app store and folks were arguing that web apps were better.

Either EV's will reach a tipping point where they win, or they won't. Time will tell for sure.

They will... It will be 10-20 years from now for new sales. The fact that the #1 selling vehicle in 2023 was an EV is a sign that it is coming, but it will take a LONG time until EVs are > 50% of passenger vehicles on the road, a long while.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
They will... It will be 10-20 years from now for new sales. The fact that the #1 selling vehicle in 2023 was an EV is a sign that it is coming, but it will take a LONG time until EVs are > 50% of passenger vehicles on the road, a long while.
The reality is what’s the oldest cars you see on the road regularly today? 15 years I would say.
That’s how long it will take.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.