Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Clue is in the title, what are people's thoughts on the above? I am sorely tempted to upgrade but I keep getting the nagging voice saying "you don't need it, you'll not notice much difference therefore what is the point in spending £1000?" Admittedly my phone has a crack on the screen and the earpiece doesn't work properly (can barely hear the person on the other end) but other than that I don't need it.

Reasons not to get it:
- if I drop and crack mine, I'm not devastated as its cost has been fully written off
- only one side of it can break (aluminium back)!
- save a grand

Thoughts?

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
You could wait for the XR instead if price is an issue. while it is a somewhat dumbed down version of the XS/XS Max, it is still essentially 95-98% of it. The 2% missing is probably the oled, stainless steel, 512gb option which are just cosmetic changes. and 3d touch if that somewhat matters to u

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
uh it's lightyears ahead...

6 Plus -> X -> XS Max
What do you use it for?

Just trying to get a feel for if it is worth it for what I use it for.
[doublepost=1538726447][/doublepost]
You could wait for the XR instead if price is an issue. while it is a somewhat dumbed down version of the XS/XS Max, it is still essentially 95-98% of it. The 2% missing is probably the oled, stainless steel, 512gb option which are just cosmetic changes. and 3d touch if that somewhat matters to u
I think it is too big but the price and the 128gb option has convinced me to wait until it is out so I can compare them side by side. If I am happy with the size of it (I don't think I want a phone that big but until I see and hold it, I can't be sure) I will get that as it will be a no brainer to save a couple of hundred.

WuMyster

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
If you had the 7+ then maybe the upgrade is not worth it. 6S+ will be quite a bit different but from a 6+? 6+ will have an insane difference.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
What do you use it for?
Just trying to get a feel for if it is worth it for what I use it for.

That's a pretty broad question. Here are some of the ways I use my iPhones. In regards to gaming I enjoy both casual and AAA gaming. Although I have game such as fortnight installed, I don't play a lot. Most of my gaming is on the casual side and doesn't really impact my impression of the phone. As for the creative stuff.. the camera is amazing but again not the number one reason i love the XS.

Please keep in mind my daily drivers have been a 6 Plus, an X and now the XS max however i have dozens of phones in my possession needed for work but i don't use them and my daily drivers. What really sets the XS Max apart is I do a lot of language study, translations and messaging ... I have to switch between several apps in quick succession. One thing all the phones (6, 6s, 7, X) failed at was the ability to have all the apps I needed open whiteout reloading as i switched between them. The XS / XS Max solves this problem for me.

Business
  • App Testing
  • Web Development
  • Email
  • Communication / Slack, Line
  • spreadsheets / numbers
  • documentation / Pages
  • image Editing / Pixelmator
  • Banking
Travel
  • Flights / Delta, United, Alaska, Southwest
  • Accommodations / AirBNB, Hotels Tonight, Hotwire
  • Security / MyTSA, Mobile Pass, Clear
  • Wallet / Boarding Passes, Suica Express Card, Credit & Debit Cards
Social Media
  • Imgur
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • youTube
Media Creation
  • Filmic Pro
  • ProMovie
  • Pro Camera
  • DJI Go
  • Instamic Recorder
  • Twitch
  • YouTube
Personal
  • Gaming
  • Language Learning
  • Food
  • Auctions
  • Health
  • Shipping / Tracking
  • Messaging

Reactions: davedvdy

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
If you had the 7+ then maybe the upgrade is not worth it. 6S+ will be quite a bit different but from a 6+? 6+ will have an insane difference.

i would probably say iPhone 7 Plus and lower users might see benefit.
iPhone 8 Plus most likely not unless you're a die hard fan of that camera only... [which it does prove wonders] but again is it worth warranting a 2000aud pricetag on top [i'm gonna shoot 256gb bare minimum because 64GB still isn't a lot unless you have an icloud subscription which kinda adds extra to the overall costs anyway]

s2smooth4u

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
I have a 6 and I can actually make phone calls, text, browse and even take pics.

Insane differences?

LOL

HA same, ios 12 has been great on my iphone 6, keeping it for another year or two once i get the battery replaced. (its at 90% capacity right now)

Reactions: Mac2019

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
LOL[/QUOTE]
I have a 6 and I can actually make phone calls, text, browse and even take pics.

Insane differences?

LOL
Starting to think the exact same thing. Gone from thinking I’ll get the xs, then let’s wait for the xr to now thinking “my 6 is fine other than the earpiece, why not just keep it until it dies?”

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Clue is in the title, what are people's thoughts on the above? I am sorely tempted to upgrade but I keep getting the nagging voice saying "you don't need it, you'll not notice much difference therefore what is the point in spending £1000?" Admittedly my phone has a crack on the screen and the earpiece doesn't work properly (can barely hear the person on the other end) but other than that I don't need it.

Reasons not to get it:
- if I drop and crack mine, I'm not devastated as its cost has been fully written off
- only one side of it can break (aluminium back)!
- save a grand

Thoughts?
Is using the iPhone camera a valuable tool to you? The camera on a modern XS alone is light-years ahead of what you've got on that iPhone 6. You probably think that the pictures you take on your 6 is "just fine". But if you compare a picture (of your dog, for example) and compare the photo taken with your 6 versus a photo taken by an iPhone XS…. you suddenly realize that the images take with your old iPhone 6 is outdated garbage compared to the crisp clean vibrant images taken by the XS.

The differences in camera technology alone is like night and day.

Then again…. if you're happy with your 6, I suppose you can hold onto it for another year or so.

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

Lucky555

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2012
Hi. i was using the iphone 6 since launch day and i upgraded this year to XSmax.
I had issues with the earpiece on my 6 like you.
It's a huge upgrade for me...no more 3 charges/day, screen is amazing and big...i adopted to this big screen fairly fast i'd say...
Now when i have the 6 in my hands it just looks like a childish toy.
i'd say go for it, now or never

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If your 6 is running fine- keep it. Everyone makes such a huge deal about waiting another second for an app to load on an older phone. As if

Reactions: Broadus

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
If your 6 is running fine- keep it. Everyone makes such a huge deal about waiting another second for an app to load on an older phone. As if
Yeah exactly and within 12-18 months every new phone degenerates anyway and then you just get used to it being a bit slower than when new.

phoneorpda

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2005
All around the world.
I upgraded from my trusty and loved 6S+ to an XS Max and I was on the fence as well.
Even though I had by 6S+ battery replaced, the XS Max lasts a lot longer for me, the screen is gorgeous and overall it's a lot snappier. I picked up my old one after as week to see how it compared and no, I wouldn't go back!
Do I need it? no. was it a worthy upgrade? yes.

aviddk

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
SW Oregon
6+ to an Xs ... WOW! Every aspect of this phone is impressive, from form factor to screen to the lightning fast speed. Waiting for some apps to load is a big deal. If I need Google maps, camera, iBird or Nest Hello doorbell I want it now not in five seconds. Now and five seconds from now may mean the difference between success and failure.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
I went from a 6+ to Xs Max and it's a huge difference, no comparison and well worth the money. Going on 4+ years with my iPhone 6 plus. The longest I've ever held onto a phone for. It was definitely time to upgrade. No regrets.

Reactions: Vermifuge
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.