Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
But switched back to iOS once the novelty of the new OS wore off? The Nokia Lumia 920 with Windows Phone 8 looks mighty compelling and I feel like giving it a try after 4 years with iPhones. But I am afraid I will start missing the consistency and stability of iOS after the newness of the new platform wears off and I will be stuck with it for two years due to the new contract and I will regret switching in the first place.

Anybody been in this situation before? Should I just stick with the iPhone even if it seems boring because the benefits far outweigh everything else? Please convince me the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I just switched from android in Jan. because it's horrible, and currently have no desire to switch from iOS, but I will get a Windows Phone 8 device on the used market within 8 months or so just to see what's out there.

It's healthy to try new things from time to time.

MacJones

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Arizona
I switched from an AT&T iPhone 4 to a Verizon HTC Thunderbolt then back to a Verizon iPhone 4. I'm using the POS Thunderbolt again until my iPhone 5 arrives and I'm counting down the days. In my opinion Android is no where close to iOS because of the overall user experience. It got boring for awhile but it's not about the OS, it's about the apps and the App Store has plenty of amazing ones to choose from.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I switched to a SGS3 after having a 3GS, 4 and 4S. The main apps I use on Android are the ones I used on iOS, they work and look the same (bigger though) as they did on my iPhones, the only one that doesn't is 1Password Pro but I have found one that is as good (IMHO). I am not a tinkerer so have never jailbroken or rooted any of my phones, I do like the fact that I can use different launchers to make my screens look different and like using certain widgets.

Although I think that the new iPhone looks really nice, I thought it quite telling that the official Apple promotional video spent more time showing the manufacture of the near mirror polish on the milled edges and the selection of camera lens cover than the new features that the new phone will bring to the party. I am an Apple fan, but this new phone has excited me a lot less than other releases have, I still have an upgrade available and will have a look at the new phone, but will not stand in line at the crack of dawn on the first day of release to get one.

I did have my 4S for a month after getting my S3, I fully expected to go back to my 4S, but I was determined to give it a chance, in the early days I could quite easily have gone back but decided to give it a go, I am really glad that I never gave into temptation. I regard my S3 as a better phone than my 4S, I don't know how it will stack up against the iPhone 5, but I do use the NFC facility and like the larger screen size and other little things like the notification LEDs that are not included in the new iPhone. Battery life is as good as the iP4.

I dont think that anyone could argue that the build quality of the S3 is on a par with the new iPhone, IMHO, it just isn't, what I will say is that the S3 still feels like a premium quality phone, true, the back cover does bend when it is removed from the phone, but I have only removed it once to install my sim card and extra storage, the back doesn't flex or creak when on the phone at all, TBH it is a non issue that is blown out of proportion and is a quite tired argument.

If you have the chance to try an Android phone I would give it a go, I find ICS as responsive and as lag free as iOS but different, don't expect the same solution from Android as iOS because they do differ. I am not technically minded and found that after a couple of days that Android is quite intuitive and easy to use.

I cant see me going back to iOS any time soon, I still have loads of Apple products and love them, the iPhone is conspicuous by it's absence though. I certainly think that Apple were the pioneers when it came to smart phones, in previous years I have looked at Android devices and experienced lag and TBH a lack of quality, I think that they have caught up, and then some, recently.

Last edited:

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I switched to a SGS3 after having a 3GS, 4 and 4S. The main apps I use on Android are the ones I used on iOS, they work and look the same (bigger though) as they did on my iPhones, the only one that doesn't is 1Password Pro but I have found one that is as good (IMHO). I am not a tinkerer so have never jailbroken or rooted any of my phones, I do like the fact that I can use different launchers to make my screens look different and like using certain widgets.

Although I think that the new iPhone looks really nice, I thought it quite telling that the official Apple promotional video spent more time showing the manufacture of the near mirror polish on the milled edges and the selection of camera lens cover than the new features that the new phone will bring to the party. I am an Apple fan, but this new phone has excited me a lot less than other releases have, I still have an upgrade available and will have a look at the new phone, but will not stand in line at the crack of dawn on the first day of release to get one.

I did have my 4S for a month after getting my S3, I fully expected to go back to my 4S, but I was determined to give it a chance, in the early days I could quite easily have gone back but decided to give it a go, I am really glad that I never gave into temptation. I regard my S3 as a better phone than my 4S, I don't know how it will stack up against the iPhone 5, but I do use the NFC facility and like the larger screen size and other little things like the notification LEDs that are not included in the new iPhone. Battery life is as good as the iP4.

I dont think that anyone could argue that the build quality of the S3 is on a par with the new iPhone, IMHO, it just isn't, what I will say is that the S3 still feels like a premium quality phone, true, the back cover does bend when it is removed from the phone, but I have only removed it once to install my sim card and extra storage, the back doesn't flex or creak when on the phone at all, TBH it is a non issue that is blown out of proportion and is a quite tired argument.

If you have the chance to try an Android phone I would give it a go, I find ICS as responsive and as lag free as iOS but different, don't expect the same solution from Android as iOS because they do differ. I am not technically minded and found that after a couple of days that Android is quite intuitive and easy to use.

I cant see me going back to iOS any time soon, I still have loads of Apple products and love them, the iPhone is conspicuous by it's absence though. I certainly think that Apple were the pioneers when it came to smart phones, in previous years I have looked at Android devices and experienced lag and TBH a lack of quality, I think that they have caught up, and then some, recently.

I agree with this dude. I have switched due to a hunger for new things, and I am constantly discovering new things I can do with this phone! Just the other day when I put in my work phone number in contacts, in the area where you can add other numbers ie: mobile, home, work etc, I noticed "custom" wherein I was able to name my other 4 fellow students and place their phone numbers along with their names under the submenu of my initial "work" contact. I don't believe my old iPhone could do that. Do please inform me if I am wrong though.

Either way, phones cost too much to be switching from 600.00+ device to 600.00+ devices within a 6 month period. iPhone5 is offering me nothing (other than plants vs zombies) and immediate OS updates, that my S3 doesn't already have..

MartinTH

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2012
I switched from a 3GS to a Sony Xperia S and I think it is great. Sure, iPhone may be easier to use and more responsive. But that does wear off quite fast. After two years my 3GS was a mess. Battery life was rubbish because it barely lasted a day, Safari and Spotify were crashing constantly and the casing cracked near the connector.

Now I have had my Xperia S for six months and the battery life is good, two days when heavily used. It is fast and responsive, the audio quality is superb, the HD screen with 342 ppi is amazing and 4,3" is just perfect sizewise.

But if Apple blow me away I can definitely consider switching back. I am not a fanboy so I will not refuse to switch because of some stupid reason.

aaronchow

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2007
I switched to Windows Phone (owned Lumia 710 and 900), but since I really need couple apps that I use daily (Chase, Starbucks and Safari to Go), I temporarily switched back to iOS. But when Chase finally releases their app later this year, I think I may switch back and get myself a Lumia 920.

The Windows Phone is actually fun to play with. But you have to keep an open minded because it is so different when compared to iOS.

Littleman

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
am doing exacty this.

iOS since day one but bought s3 3 months ago.

Not a fan of android. Smooth as a farmers arse. Apps are second thoughts.

Ordered iphone 5 to be delivered on Friday.

Cannot wait to be back.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Why do people keep saying they are "bored" with iOS? It's not about being bored. It's about realizing that iOS is just not enough for the person that you are.

iOS is for regular mainstream consumers who want their hand held.

Android is for advanced power-users who need no hand to hold.

All that happens is that you realize you made the wrong decision when buying your first capacitive touchscreen smartphone. There's nothing difficult about using these phones. They're easier to use than any desktop PC. It's just that Android is closer to a desktop PC experience than iOS is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.