Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I own one 256GB model with Apple Care Plus and all together was over 1,000 bucks with taxes.

I love it, but I was wondering who is the target market for this phone?

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Its actually an interesting question because the iPhone 8 doesnt actually fit a specific type of user.

Reluctant Smartphone Upgrader:
- There are similar iPhones available at a much more reasonable cost
- Unecessary Upgrades (Camera. Fake Lighting)

Average Consumer:
- No need for "Bionic" chip
- No need for wireless charging
- Stale design

Tech Enthusiast:
- High End phone but its not an X
- Expensive phone but its not an X
- Outdated phone that is not an X

Money is No Object:
- Cmon. Get the expensive one.

In no way am I saying the 8 is a bad phone. In fact, I'd probably be happier with an 8+ than I would my X. But if I were to recommend phones right now then I'd probably say to either "Save money and get a 7" or "Just go for it and get an X".

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
its for those who just plain like the 8, like me. people who like polished, refined, end of life cycle products that exist in their best state, rather than the new hot thing that is only going to be more refined with each iteration. effectively, its for those who like the pinnacle of a generation.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Indoobidubly

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2013
I own one 256GB model with Apple Care Plus and all together was over 1,000 bucks with taxes.

The 8 is for people who:
>don't want a massive phablet that requires two hands to use
>don't want to spend $1000+ on a phone
>don't want to get rid of TouchID for an inferior FaceID
>don't want to get rid of the home button
>don't want to learn a bunch of annoying gestures

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
its for those who just plain like the 8, like me. people who like polished, refined, end of life cycle products that exist in their best state, rather than the new hot thing that is only going to be more refined with each iteration. effectively, its for those who like the pinnacle of a generation.

I originally bought an 8 Plus, but now have a X. The 8 Plus was a great phone. Great speakers for a smartphone, too. If you're one of those who doesn't mind the bezels, it's a great piece of hardware.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Not everyone is ready to invest in the iPhone X yet, some are hesitant with Face ID and others just prefer the form factor of the iPhone 8. And after all these years with touch ID, some have not made a decision ready to migrate away from that.

On the flipside, I have seen multiple iPhone X users migrate back to the iPhone 8 Plus, because they prefer the larger keyboard and width of the iPhone 8+.

Jinkst

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2008
Sydney, AUS
The 8 is for people who:
>don't want a massive phablet that requires two hands to use
>don't want to spend $1000+ on a phone
>don't want to get rid of TouchID for an inferior FaceID
>don't want to get rid of the home button
>don't want to learn a bunch of annoying gestures
Pass the salt... what a joke...

The 8/8+ has a market the same way an iPad would next to an iPad Pro, or a MacBook against a MacBook Pro. Apple has always had different levels of product (apart from AppleTV) and now the iPhone lineup has gone that way with the SE and X appealing to different user types/budgets.

The sooner people understand their needs aren’t always the same as others wants, the sooner we’ll stop having rubbish snipes at different model iPhone owners such as old mate above. The X is smaller than my 6+, FaceID works many times better for me than TouchID ever did, the gestures are second nature within hours, and £1000 for a device that handles my personal and work tasks isn’t expensive for ME. I understand it is for others, the same way a MacBook Pro would be but you know what, I’m on my iPhone ALOT more than my laptop.

TO EACH THEIR OWN.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I personally think the 8 and the 8 plus were a filler device for a few reasons.

1. Apple didn’t make two versions of the phone this year due to stock constraints.

2. The X is the biggest leap Apple has taken with their iPhone, ever.

3. Apple wanted to have a device launch around the time they’ve launched iPhones every year for well over half a decade.

If rumors of the free new iPhone models next year stand true I completely expect Apple to completely dump the “legacy” form factor. Or if not dump it, discontinue refreshing it. All screen moving forward with hopefully amorice point for everyone.

Reactions: haruhiko

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

What does the information of what device you have and related details along with the price of it all have to do with the question?

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Pass the salt... what a joke...

The 8/8+ has a market the same way an iPad would next to an iPad Pro, or a MacBook against a MacBook Pro. Apple has always had different levels of product (apart from AppleTV) and now the iPhone lineup has gone that way with the SE and X appealing to different user types/budgets.

The sooner people understand their needs aren’t always the same as others wants, the sooner we’ll stop having rubbish snipes at different model iPhone owners such as old mate above. The X is smaller than my 6+, FaceID works many times better for me than TouchID ever did, the gestures are second nature within hours, and £1000 for a device that handles my personal and work tasks isn’t expensive for ME. I understand it is for others, the same way a MacBook Pro would be but you know what, I’m on my iPhone ALOT more than my laptop.

TO EACH THEIR OWN.

I’ve heard mixed reviews on Face ID. Some people say it can be hacked if twins use it.

Jinkst

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2008
Sydney, AUS
I’ve heard mixed reviews on Face ID. Some people say it can be hacked if twins use it.
How is that FaceID being “hacked?” Also, not having a twin, not a concern for me.

Again, to each their own. Apple’s products aren’t going to fit everyone’s niche perfectly.

Reactions: DiveKitty

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I cannot speak for others but my reasons to get an 8 were the following:

Price
Touch ID
I like the form factor
Some of my cases for the 7 I had work on the 8
Familiar feel and I like consistency.

I would say price and touch ID are the two largest factors why somebody would choose the iPhone 8 over the iPhone X.

Reactions: KONVICTED

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I wish Apple would have consistency for unlocking devices across models. Like you can add new ways but don’t take away old ways that people enjoy. Even if Touch ID was moved to the back or power button I’d still use it!!!!

Face ID, meh. I’m worried about the infrared blasting my face even though I’ve heard it’s not harmful.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I wish Apple would have consistency for unlocking devices across models. Like you can add new ways but don’t take away old ways that people enjoy. Even if Touch ID was moved to the back or power button I’d still use it!!!!

Face ID, meh. I’m worried about the infrared blasting my face even though I’ve heard it’s not harmful.
It’s a good thing you don’t run Apple, or their products would be boring and stuck with a bunch of old tech like floppy disks and CRTs.

That’s exactly what is great about Apple, they have a vision for the future when others are looking at the past.

Reactions: DiveKitty

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
As I learned earlier this year, the plus sized phones do spike to $1k when you add AC+ etc.

Best of both worlds?

Keeping existing features while gaining some of the new tech in X without going over $1k in price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.