Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thezine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I just got a MBA Rev.B 120 HDD (the reseller was out of stock of 1.8Ghz SSD) , and I think the performance are good but the battery last at most at 2:20 hrs. What is really annoying, there is always this 1-2 seconds lag for every operation I am doing.

Do you guys have the same feeling, are you happy with your 1,6 Rev B performance ?

Cheers :)

3crawz

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
Linlithgow, Scotland
I got a refurbished rev b, 1.6ghz 120 hd two weeks ago and i am absolutely loving it, its my first mac!!!! its also my primary comp and its great for everything i do, feel that it blows the folk away who say macbook airs cant be used as a primary comp, it can!!! no problems with it and think its brand new!!!

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I've got the 1.6/120 and personally after six months of use I think it sort of sucks.

Poor screen, and poor performance. Slow as piss to do everything and constant beachballs.

I bought it as a second laptop to compliment my loaded 2.8 MBP (late 08) to have as a work/travel computer, so that I could keep the MBP as a master pristine desktop replacement, but I've found myself bringing the MBP to work the last two weeks.

Would've rather bought a base model MBP as a second computer to be honest.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I am not having the same experience that you are having. My MB Air 1.6 HDD is wonderful. I don't choose to not do something on it per se, but I do know it's limitations. I don't run heavy apps on it, I have a MP for those things. I do and can run handbreak, PS Elements, iPhoto, etc.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Yeah I don't know, I mean it's alright and everything, but it certainly wasn't worth the $2100 I paid (Japanese prices, ouch...the SSD model was $3100 though).

I still love the portability of it and have a fantastic tiny bag for it to take it to work and you'd never know there's a computer in there, but I don't know.

I also don't do anything intensive (word, email, safari, itunes, that's about it) as I also know it's limitations, but even on those I often get long lags/beach balls. I do keep everything updated, and take meticulous care of the machine though.

I think maybe the design itself is just long in the tooth to me. While I do think it's a great looking machine, I never have liked the taper/slope of the machine--the slab-sided MBP on the other hand is just outright sexy.

I really wish Apple would acknowledge that they have chosen a garbage LCD panel for these Airs as well. I'm also having bad battery luck--92% health after 33 cycles and a few calibrations.

I don't know, maybe it's just the comparison to the MBP that makes me fall out of love with it. I was really, really apprehensive about buying a 15 inch laptop when I bought the MBP because I've always LOVED small laptops (12 and 13 inchers were my two others prior to the MBP) but the slab-bodied pro is pure sex. I picked up the MBA as a nice compliment and it does serve it's purpose well, but 1.6 GHz with an iPod HDD is pretty pathetic in this day and age, even given the heat requirements and engineering restrictions.

I don't know, I just think I'd be happier with two MBPs. That said, I'd lose a tremendous amount of money if I even wanted to sell, what with the huge price drops on the Rev. C models. With AppleCare and tax, when all was said and done, mine was $2600 out the door. Pretty sure I'd have a hard time getting even half that if I was going to sell it anyway.

macboy4

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
I have the same MBA and I like it, but I don't love it. I enjoy the portability, but I miss some of the performance. When I bought it I wasn't thrilled with the Unibody MacBooks. They looked pretty cool, but I HATED the displays (I finally, after a few replacements, have an MBA without lines and the display is gorgeous).

Now, I really like the 13" MBPs. If I could trade in my MBA I would because the new MBPs have fantastic displays and the batter life (probably my biggest disappointment with the MBA) is stellar.

I've resigned myself to the fact that this thing isn't going to last me 3.5 years like my PowerBook did, even with my modest performance needs.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
I have the same MBA and I like it, but I don't love it. I enjoy the portability, but I miss some of the performance. When I bought it I wasn't thrilled with the Unibody MacBooks. They looked pretty cool, but I HATED the displays (I finally, after a few replacements, have an MBA without lines and the display is gorgeous).

Now, I really like the 13" MBPs. If I could trade in my MBA I would because the new MBPs have fantastic displays and the batter life (probably my biggest disappointment with the MBA) is stellar.

I've resigned myself to the fact that this thing isn't going to last me 3.5 years like my PowerBook did, even with my modest performance needs.

its funny, the whole battery thing,

they battery on the 13" is not substantially longer lasting...but a little more.

i have had the 13,15 and 17 unibody's now(all non removable batteries).

i also have a 15" removable battery.

running under load they all run the same 3:30 mins. (virtual machines)

when running lighter work the 13" i could yeild 6 hours on average where i can get 5 on my air.

the perfomance is the same as my older 15" 2.4 unibody in every aspect.

heat ...it does get a bit warmer

the air battery is not much different from the others....of course people are going to argue...oh well.

bitingtheapple

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2009
England
I've had the same Macbook Air as you for about 3 months now, and use it as my main out of office Mac.

I'm not overwhelmed by the performance, but it's good enough, and actually more than fast enough for what I need when out and about. Battery life is good though, around 3-4 hours with either bluetooth (tethered to iPhone 3GS) or with Wifi.

My perfect Air would be :

1. 2.xGhz CPU
2. 4Gb Ram
3. HSDPA built in
4. 256Gb SSD

maybe one extra USB port, but I can live with only one quite easily.

dudeitsjay

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
the hd gets stuttery and could definitely use a 5400rpm. and 2gigs ram just isn't enough for multitasking and using the multitouch features to browse multiple things =\

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.