Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackid16

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Just wanted to know if anyone is unhappy with their new iPhone 3g's and why.:rolleyes:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Love the phone, but hate AT&T's coverage in my town. It seems to be 5-bars where I don't need it and 1 bar (or No Signal) where I do.

I had hoped that they had been dumping money into 3G around here and when I got my iPhone 3G it'd be a totally different situation than the 2G network crap I have been dealing with.

I'm waiting til Monday to see if the iPhone 3G gets better coverage at my desk than my 2G one did. If it doesn't, I'm canceling my AT&T contract, paying the ETF, and porting back to Verizon.

I hate having to choose between a phone that I love and a carrier that doesn't work well where I personally need it to vs. a network that works well for me that doesn't have a single phone I like.

djwobble

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Virginia Beach, Virginia
my battery life to be honest. I remember thinking when I got my first gem iPhone... "when is my battery gonna die?". Now withy 3g, I think "I hope it lasts more than 5 -6 hours.

AboveTheChaos

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
So far I'm very happy. The only thing that I'm keeping an eye on is the battery. It does seem to drain REALLY fast when doing tasks like surfing the App store or running one of the apps. I haven't fully calibrated the battery so I'm hoping it'll get better but I estimate right now I'm only getting about 5-6 hours of use (talking, surfing, etc.)

djwobble

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Virginia Beach, Virginia
So far I'm very happy. The only thing that I'm keeping an eye on is the battery. It does seem to drain REALLY fast when doing tasks like surfing the App store or running one of the apps. I haven't fully calibrated the battery so I'm hoping it'll get better but I estimate right now I'm only getting about 5-6 hours of use (talking, surfing, etc.)

Calibrate???

NextTuesday

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
Cork, Ireland
I'm a bit unhappy. The carrier in Ireland (O2) doesn't seem to have any 3G reception where I am though if I walk down the road into the city center, I get full 3G and the GPS can find me.

Aside from that, the 2.0 software seems a bit buggy/unstable compared to my 1.1.4 iPhone 1st Generation. I'd expect a 2.0.1 or a 2.1 software release from Apple fairly soon..

It's still a brilliant device and the fact that I can write this post on my iPhone means I won't be returning it anytime soon! ;)

MacMan33

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Chicago
I have heard alot of mixed views stating it felt alot cheaper and did not have the same feel. ALso i have heard issues with the screen resolution. I have 2 16gigs bought from a friend for 150 a piece and am selling them for now and keeping my 8gig 2g till they release the 32 gig this fall....

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
the battery is my only gripe.

Its really a wash for people who had the old iphone. Because the really star is firmware 2.0. And you can get that for the old iphone. Apple could of truly ripped a new hole in our butts if they charged money for the firmware (well atleast for iphone owners). or made it only for 3g iphone. The apps store opened my love for downloading whatever and trying it out.

Love pandora and Shazam.

My office and outside I have very good 3g coverage, but when i go inside, i feel like im in nuclear bomb cage. and I can't get a signal in 3g mode. So I turn it off and to with wifi and edge. Oh wait.....didn't my old phone do that already?

Never the less ... paying 600 bucks for the old iphone was worth every penny.

Paying 300 for the new iphone.... time will tell. I feel like this is only iphone 1.032094330843 and not a true sequel.

But the I do have a feel the 3g network will come in handy. I just haven't left the house yet. (even at work, i have wifi).

What's done is done. I bought it. As long as ATT continues to expand their network. Im happy with my purchase and I'll be even more happy once I sell my old phone. Im trying to figure out how to unlock the 2.0 firmware on it.

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
I have mixed feelings. I really like the phone but I am really starting to dislike Apple. I purchase all the N wifi equipment and now I have to turn off the N on my Time Capsule so the Iphone will work on my network at home. So now my 2 Imac's and Macbook suffer.

The New Iphone didn't come with any type of dock like the old one did. I have to purchase that for $29.95, bummer. The one for my old Iphone won't work on the new Iphone. Should have guessed that would happen.

Some of the Apps couldn't have been tested very well. What have you been doing since the June announcement? Drinking coffee at Starbucks.

Friday was a nightmare, Come on Apple didn't you have enough sense to understand how many people would be activating and upgrading phones on Friday? That was just a dumb bone head move. It was 5 hours for me to get the activation done. Couldn't they have released the 2.0 upgrade on Saturday, Sunday or Monday?

So as I said being a big Apple fan with all Apple Computer equipment in my home I am starting to second guess some of my decisions.

I know, go ahead and ask the same question everyone at worked asked, Why on earth did you try to purchase on the first day? That was just plain dumb. Now I have to agree after a friend of mine got his today at the Local
Apple Store with little or no wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.