Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you using macOS with default settings (no right mouse button, no tap-to click)

• Total voters

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2022
By default macOS has not activated right mouse/trackpad button and no tap-to-click on the trackpad.
Did you change that?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If I recall correctly, the right mouse button has been functional by default since OS 10.0 in 2001. Am I mistaken?

Reactions: throAU

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2022
If I recall correctly, the right mouse button has been functional by default since OS 10.0 in 2001. Am I mistaken?
IMHO you are.
It ist still inactive by default in Ventura. did not yet test on Sonoma.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
"Safer"?
Can you please explain?
A few people choose to use non-Apple pointing devices. "Safest" to assume minimal functionality and let the user configure anything else.

And for new users (coming from Windows/Linux), safest to have default what they might be familiar with.

It is easy enough to change and we all have our particular favourite settings - no one size fits all.

PS. I am not even sure about the right click (I don't recall having to set that), but certainly tap to click is not enabled in mouse or trackpad.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2022
A few people choose to use non-Apple pointing devices. "Safest" to assume minimal functionality and let the user configure anything else.
And for new users (coming from Windows/Linux), safest to have default what they might be familiar with.
In the Windows-Linux world, the right click and tap-to-click has always been the standard.
Only macOS asks to validate it separately.
I don't know any mouse / trackpad with only one button (excepted the very old Apple ADB ones).
It is easy enough to change and we all have our particular favourite settings - no one size fits all.
I just wondered who does **not** use them. (excepted the full noobs).
PS. I am not even sure about the right click (I don't recall having to set that), but certainly tap to click is not enabled in mouse or trackpad.
It ist still the case, and is still the case before you log in:
Right click and Tap-to-Click are inactive and you can't change it, since they are user settings.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It ist still the case, and is still the case before you log in:
Right click and Tap-to-Click are inactive and you can't change it, since they are user settings.
Right-click is functional at the login screen on my OS 14.3 system.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
I have no idea!
I’ve been upgrading from one OSX Mac to another for over a decade, and my settings transfer when I upgrade either, so I don’t know what the defaults are. I think that’s a powerful testament to the high quality of OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.