Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I'm looking to get a used 12" powerbook today. Here are the specs:

PowerPC g4 @ 867 MHZ
640 MB of RAM
HDD: 60 GB
OS X Tiger

Does this sound like a decent laptop to last a couple months? What's a good price for one? is the processor quick enough to handle Tiger well? And, what is the max memory I can put in it?

Thanks so much!!
--CP

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Collin973 said:
I'm looking to get a used 12" powerbook today. Here are the specs:

PowerPC g4 @ 867 MHZ
640 MB of RAM
HDD: 60 GB
OS X Tiger

Does this sound like a decent laptop to last a couple months? What's a good price for one? is the processor quick enough to handle Tiger well? And, what is the max memory I can put in it?

Thanks so much!!
--CP

It all depends what you need it for. It should handle basic internet/word processing, etc. very well. It'll be on the slow side, but still usable, for some photoshop work.

The memory is maxed out for that revision of the 12" powerbook (later models could handle up to 1.25GB).

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
I have one with those specs and it runs fine. I've used it pretty much every day for 3.5 years and it's still going strong.

It's perfectly fine for all of the standard stuff you want to do (web, Office, iTunes). It's a little slow on more memory intensive things like faffing in iPhoto (I have a 9gb library), but not that much. In fact the only major drawback I find is that I'm still on the original battery, and after 1200 charge cycles, it don't last long.

I would say go for it.

PS I'd also be interested in how much you pay for it, just for reference purposes.

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Gee said:
I have one with those specs and it runs fine. I've used it pretty much every day for 3.5 years and it's still going strong.

It's perfectly fine for all of the standard stuff you want to do (web, Office, iTunes). It's a little slow on more memory intensive things like faffing in iPhoto (I have a 9gb library), but not that much. In fact the only major drawback I find is that I'm still on the original battery, and after 1200 charge cycles, it don't last long.

I would say go for it.

PS I'd also be interested in how much you pay for it, just for reference purposes.

I'm glad to hear that. So it does decent with iPhoto? I'm not expecting it to be a rocket ship with stuff...but i would like to use it for DVD's, music, and the standard office wear and tear. Should do alright then?

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
munckee said:
The memory is maxed out for that revision of the 12" powerbook (later models could handle up to 1.25GB).

This model will support up to 1.125 GB.

Collin973 said:
I'm not expecting it to be a rocket ship with stuff...but i would like to use it for DVD's, music, and the standard office wear and tear. Should do alright then?

It should work fine for all these tasks.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I have the exact model and specs, which I've owned since new. It's a great road warrior. If I had it to do again, I might try to find a rev. b model, because they come with a mini-DV connector instead of the mini-VGA. If you buy one, take into consideration that the battery (as mentioned above) is probably on its last legs and they cost at least $100 to replace. Also make sure you get the mini-VGA to standard VGA connector (a unique Apple part AFAIK), or you'll have a heck of time connecting it to an external display or projector.

I'll bet you can find this model all over the place for $400-500, especially now with the release of the MacBook.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Collin973 said:
I'm glad to hear that. So it does decent with iPhoto? I'm not expecting it to be a rocket ship with stuff...but i would like to use it for DVD's, music, and the standard office wear and tear. Should do alright then?

Yep, it's fine with iPhoto. Not the quickest, but perfectly usable...

Personally, I wouldn't pay $500 for it though, considering you can get a new macbook for $1100. Is that really what they're going for at the moment? I would have thought maybe $300 seemed reaonable?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Love my 12" powerbook. Lightest smallest lappie Apple will probably ever make. On it right now, sunbathing in the warm CA sun. Yes, it's bright enuf to see screen outside, too!

But max out the ram on it if you get it.

andrewag

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2005
Australia
I upgraded to a 12" Rev A PowerBook from a 500mhz ibook back when they were first released and to tell the truth after a while I was not all that impressed with the powerbook's speed. The small L2 cache makes it a glorified ibook.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
I have an older 12" PB. It was the first Mac I bought and it's lasted me this long. The LCD broke, however, so right now it's mainly used hooked up to my TV as a media center. I want to fix it soon! It's been everywhere with me cuz it's so little and compact! BTW, anyone know if I can upgrade the logic board if I wanted? Say going from a 1ghz to a 1.5ghz?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Can't say I've had a PowerBook that slow but mine is a 1.5 GHz 12" and I LOVE it. Best computer I've owned or used. The small factor is something I really love because its light yet still big enough to comfortably use. And the design is the best of any Apple notebook in my opinion because the keyboard goes the full width of the case. If Apple came out with a MacBook Pro 13" I'd probably go for it if it didn't have those crappy MacBook (non-Pro) spaced keys. That's what keeps me from wanting the MacBook sadly. Well that and the PB works perfectly for me.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
marissaaa said:
I have an older 12" PB. It was the first Mac I bought and it's lasted me this long. The LCD broke, however, so right now it's mainly used hooked up to my TV as a media center. I want to fix it soon! It's been everywhere with me cuz it's so little and compact! BTW, anyone know if I can upgrade the logic board if I wanted? Say going from a 1ghz to a 1.5ghz?

Yes, you can take your 1ghz 12 PB up to 1.67ghz. Daystar does the upgrades. I'd do it too, but I already have a 1.5ghz and the highest they said it will go is 1.75ghz.

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
All good info. I'm really thankful for all of you that posted to me. I don't care about the resale value any more, but I don't wanna pay more than like $350 for it, maybe alittle more, i'm not really sure. I'm kind of thinking of giving it to my girlfriend or my mom at the end of the summer when i buy my mbp (yay). But the one i was looking to get on ebay fell through. Some idiot bid $250 from $71 and now its up to almost 400 with shipping. So I'm going to look around some more. Does any one know a good place to look? Also, if you know any one that is selling one please let me know. (I don't have 100 posts yet, so i can't post in the marketplace).

Thanks so much again!
--CP

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
jadekitty24 said:
I believe if you see an item in the Marketplace that you are interested in you can just PM the seller.

Oh, yea, i realize that, but some people put "WTB" or w/e...I've been searching through market place alot!! Thanks though

poolin1243

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Kansas City,MO/Milwaukee, WI
from one collin P to another:

i love my 12" im actually selling it in the marketplace right now, maxed out, with 3 batteries (2 are brand new).

the 12" is the perfect mix of power and size for the road. Just took mine through europe for 2 weeks shooting photography, and it worked awesome.

Check out my marketplace FS thread....i think you might like the deal!

-Collin P

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
poolin1243 said:
from one collin P to another:

i love my 12" im actually selling it in the marketplace right now, maxed out, with 3 batteries (2 are brand new).

the 12" is the perfect mix of power and size for the road. Just took mine through europe for 2 weeks shooting photography, and it worked awesome.

Check out my marketplace FS thread....i think you might like the deal!

-Collin P

hey collin p,

Man that is a sweet deal and i appreciate the post, but it's alittle more than i can go for right now.

Thanks though,
--CP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.