Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmger

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Hello,
I'm trying to understand who needs Homebrew and why.
Why should I use Homebrew if I can download the app from an official website? Can somebody explain to me why everyone uses it? It's just hype or is it really convenient in some moments?
I just can't figure out how Homebrew can help me.
Thx!

rmger

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Do you want to use unix packages? Its not macOS apps, its unix apps AFAIK
No, applications that I need I can find on App Store or the official app sites (.dmg file).
But I've seen people install with Homebrew Firefox, Skype and etc.
And I don't understand why they're doing this via Homebrew.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
No, applications that I need I can find on App Store or the official app sites (.dmg file).
But I've seen people install with Homebrew Firefox, Skype and etc.
And I don't understand why they're doing this via Homebrew.
It could be specific features or limitations in the macOS app or they want a particular version. I can't think of any other reason myself for those apps.

I use MacPorts so I can have some utilities in the terminal.

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
Mostly for unix framework addons / open source compiling. It's a common standard that keeps things consistent across third parties, it's free from App Store limitations, and you can compile builds outside of release schedules (Mojave/beta handy).

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
IMHO it's not primarily for graphical Apps -- it's more for command-line (Terminal) programs like ffmpeg, rsync, iperf3, media-info, smartmontools (to name a few I've got installed).

Many of these programs share libraries of code. Brew is amazing at keeping all dependencies satisfied and up to date and organized. Also, some of these have various options that can be compiled into (or out of) the program; brew lets you easily compile the program with the options you want. And for developer types, you can download the source code and modify it to your heart's content.

If you're not using the command line (Terminal.app) you probably have no real use for brew.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.