Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HomeKit App?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
This is the sort of thing Apple really NEEDS to put on the AppStore.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Yes it makes sense to have a HomeKit app (perhaps called Home), but make it optional in Settings or a download from the App Store.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Wasn't there a rumor going around that they were gonna include that with iOS 10? If they do make one, I hope there's a Mac version too, as the Mac is what I usually have in front of me when I'm at home as opposed to my iPhone.

Reactions: Sirious

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
Wasn't there a rumor going around that they were gonna include that with iOS 10? If they do make one, I hope there's a Mac version too, as the Mac is what I usually have in front of me when I'm at home as opposed to my iPhone.

Sounds like a plan.
Maybe in Notification Centre on the Mac as a widget!

michael2016

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2016
Another excellent choice is LiVo. Besides HomeKit it supports a few other systems and it is fully customizable, even though it needs a little time to get into it. It's worth a try as it is free with some restrictions and ads.

Cheers
Michael

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
What would the HomeKit app do?

Doesn't HomeKit basically just give the end user Siri access?

Obvious a generic Apple app can't contain all the features the devs app may have. For example, programming a thermostat...each app for each thermostat is vastly different offering proprietary and potentially copyrighted features another thermostat may not offer.

It would be nice to try to make HomeKit more relevant so manufacturers build devices to be HomeKit compatible and an app of some sort could help spur that motivation however I just don't know what it could do...without sucking...

A lot of very good products are not HomeKit compatible which is a shame that some people will overlook them for otherwise lesser products.

EDIT: Sorry didnt realize how old this thread was. lol

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I have refrained from buying anything homekit until there is one app that will control everything I want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.