Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingcoherent

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2022
I linked this phone as a reply to my long rant about the slow, seemingly inevitable, degradation of tech ecosystems.

Punkt are moving into smartphones with the attractive looking MC02. It looks like it uses a stripped back version of Android designed to minimise the leakage of personal information to advertisers, limit the digital distractions and track the carbon footprint of each installed app. The OS looks to have been built on GrapheneOS which makes similar, privacy first claims.

Are these features important to anyone here?
How would you go about judging whether or not a supplier actually lives up to their privacy claims?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I linked this phone as a reply to my long rant about the slow, seemingly inevitable, degradation of tech ecosystems.

Punkt are moving into smartphones with the attractive looking MC02. It looks like it uses a stripped back version of Android designed to minimise the leakage of personal information to advertisers, limit the digital distractions and track the carbon footprint of each installed app. The OS looks to have been built on GrapheneOS which makes similar, privacy first claims.

Are these features important to anyone here?
How would you go about judging whether or not a supplier actually lives up to their privacy claims?
No one is buying a $200 in parts or less phone for $749.

Until a company like this either offers a mid range specs with mid range price or true flagship with flagship prices but paying flagship price for budget hardware no matter how great the software just sucks.

Unless you need a device like this I don't see a big market.

If they had decent hardware and a better price then it could be successful and then start to break into the wider market.

As this is now, I doubt the business will stay in business?

Kingcoherent

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2022
Good point. And very similar arguments that another friend made about the Fairphone.

Punkt have a survey that claims that most people would give up specs in exchange for better security and privacy (i.e. to not have your phone OS sell your data). It felt to me like one of those surveys where people are happy to say yes to on paper, but when it comes to handing over their actual cash they signal the opposite.

A phone is one of the devices that you interact with most often, it's certainly with you the most. Given that you're constantly holding it, it's only natural that people want premium feeling materials (something both Nokia in the 90s/00s and Apple later have understood well). Then again, one of the selling points of this device is fewer distractions - something that I've achieved by just deleting apps (Twitter/Facebook/Instagram) or turning off notifications (most news apps). I'm yet to actually touch a Punkt phone though, perhaps it does feel right?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Punkt?
Not even going to try looking up a prototype for giggles.
This company takes themselves and real future customers/clients seriously, that is NOT the ideal business name either wants to call a company nor think of when things are not working right, warranty issues, or seemingly going wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.