Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lachrymotion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Hello everyone!

Well, last week my PC decided to take a dive. Ive been a fan of Apple for awhile, and finally was in financial shape to purchase a Mac of my dreams. Ordered one through my campus bookstore. I got excited Monday to see it had shipped (which makes the date of shipment 1/09).

So today, I go to apple.com and see that Macworld had taken place. Being compltely new to Apple, I wasn't aware of Macworld, so I decided to watch the webcast. Getting really excited to see some of the features my iMac would include, I see that some of the software had been updated. So...I thought I was out $80 for some new software...no biggie. Then he announced the new Intel processors being shipped with the new Macs TODAY (being 1/10... 1 day after my shipment according to FedEx)

So...Im in limbo until Friday wondering if my new computer will in fact be the BRAND spanking new Mac...or if Im going to be w/ the old version. Regardless, I was happy w/ my purchase intially, so I won't be too upset if it won't be, but its always nice to have the latest and greatest technology.

So what are my chances? Slim to none? Or did one slip by the goalie on Monday?

Anyway, Im sure Ill be here quite a bit, seeing as there is a lot to learn about Apple, and Im but a novice. This seems like the place to go.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any insight.

-Mike-

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Gratz.

Most likely you'll be getting the new machines.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

lachrymotion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
I hope so...

if not, Im sure I can easily exchange (even online?) w/ it not being opened. I hope there is a distinguishing feature on the box so I know which one it is (again...new to Macs)

thanks again

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Lacero said:
Most likely you'll be getting the new machines.

Not neccessarily... they still sell the PowerPC iMac side by side with the Intel iMac. I'm thinking that perhaps Apple consider the Intel iMac to be a different product (when it comes to orders), not an upgraded version of the PowerPC iMac...

lachrymotion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
ah bugger

Im a little worried about the return policy seeing as I added extra RAM and the wireless option. Apple's return policy does not allow returns on items that have been custom ordered.

Ah well. Either way, Ill have a new Mac that would blow the doors off my old PC.

Atlasland

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2005
London, UK
First, phone & ask.

When it comes, if it says"G5" on the box, then DON'T OPEN IT & return it.

Not opening it is important, because if you do, then Apple may charge you a 10% restocking fee to exchange it (I got away with it though).

All in all, phone Apple and find out what the situation is before your machine arrives. [personally I think you'd probably get the old one]

Oh, and well done on switching from PC to Mac.

EDIT: Missed the bit about BTO. Yeah, I don't think they allow BTO returns. But phone and ask. Anyway, the iMac G5 is still a beautiful machine - I should know, I have one!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yep don't bother opening it, just ring apple and tell them you've changed your mind and want to return it. Your within your 14 day period anyway.

They will simply issue you with an RMA code, a courier then collects the package and then within about 7-14 days you are refunded the money on your CC.

As you can see in my sig, I'm in the same boat with my PB.. I'll be doing the above.. Just cant decided to go for a maxd out iMac 20" now or the MacBookPro....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.