Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brent0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2023
This is the first year I'm trying to go caseless with my 15 pro max.
How many of ya'll are doing this too? Do you guys have any hacks to make it easier? haha.

I did get Applecare and a screen protector.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I’ve been trying on my 15 pro around the house but whenever I leave and put a case on I end up leaving it on when I get home. My biggest issue is the phone slides out of my pocket easily without a case. I preordered the dbrand leather skin for the back of the phone and it’s supposed to come in sometime this month. Hopefully that keeps it from sliding out of my pocket because the 15pro feels so much better without a case.

Reactions: Brent0n

Brent0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2023
I’ve been trying on my 15 pro around the house but whenever I leave and put a case on I end up leaving it on when I get home. My biggest issue is the phone slides out of my pocket easily without a case. I preordered the dbrand leather skin for the back of the phone and it’s supposed to come in sometime this month. Hopefully that keeps it from sliding out of my pocket because the 15pro feels so much better without a case.
Someone on reddit suggested the magsafe wallet, they say it provides some extra grip.
It won't help the pocket situation but may make the phone less slippery.

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
After years of having AppleCare on my phones, always putting them in cases, and never having one reason to use AppleCare that I paid for, I am caseless on my ProMax Natural Titanium. I was thinking today that it was finally starting to feel normal carrying my phone around without a case. I will admit that the first week or so was a little unnerving.

Reactions: Brent0n

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Someone on reddit suggested the magsafe wallet, they say it provides some extra grip.
It won't help the pocket situation but may make the phone less slippery.
That’s the other problem is the wallet slides around a little more without a case. I’ve never had an issue with it feeling lose against the apple leather cases.

Reactions: GDF

TeeWrecks

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2015
Bronx, NY
I’ve been trying to find a thin leather sleeve I can slip the phone into when I’m out but haven’t found much good options on Amazon yet

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I do tend to keep my magsafe wallet on when caseless out of the house
Likewise….. slightly easier to hold and I can happily place it down on a table or hard surface without worrying about damage. The only thing I have noticed is that the new wallets don’t hold as firmly as the old leather ones, I might try and snap up a couple from old stock.

Reactions: TotalMacMove

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
Likewise….. slightly easier to hold and I can happily place it down on a table or hard surface without worrying about damage. The only thing I have noticed is that the new wallets don’t hold as firmly as the old leather ones, I might try and snap up a couple from old stock.
Yea fine woven is a no for me as well!

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Always gone caseless. And i always find ways to drop the phones... luckily never had a broken glass.

Just know that it will most likely get damaged eventually. Don't get obsessed about the little dent or scratch here and there. IMHO the phone will still look better than any of the cases you could put on it.

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
One thing to help with the slipping out of the pocket or hand would be a skin (think screen protector for the back glass) and still go caseless. Obviously covering up the back color of whatever phone you got, but still maintaining the nice edges with no added bulk like a case would add.

There are a lot out there (dbrand, Fishskyn, gelaskins, etc.) and they come in various patterns or artwork. I think some you can upload your own photo to have them printed. The ones I've used come off easily although they were not reusable.

I used them on a few phones but also on iPads over the years. The different companies have different thickness material, some use 3M, others something different. I always used to us gelaskins but I think this time around if I were to do it some of the others look like thinner material to still allow magsafe charging. I'd probably look at fishskyn or dbrand based on a recent youtube video comparing a dozen or so different brands, but I think they are mostly more alike than different so go for aesthetics.

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
I’ve always ran my iPhones in the Pitaka MagEZ or Air Case (thin to ultra-thin cases). I got a MagEZ 4 case for my 15 Pro and been using it with a PopSocket PopGrip Round. I decided to run my iPhone naked with the PopSocket this morning. Wow, once you go naked…it feels great in the hand with the rounded corners and showing the true glory of the Natural Titanium. I don’t have to worry about laying down bareback on surfaces with the PopSocket on the back. The PopSocket is a game changer!

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
I’m caseless this year but have adopted a magsafe wallet to give me a handful of benefits. FYI, i use the Peak Design wallet linked below. I like it because it gives me three feature outside of the wallet functionality.

1. A little more grip when pulling it out of a pocket. Also the ability to have more of a cradle grip when holding it normally.

2. I can put the phone down and not really worry about the surface as much. It doesn’t make a loud clicking noise on the kitchen counter and is also less likely to slide on something soft like a couch/bed.

3. It having a little height off a surface makes it easier to pick up quickly.

I thought it would take the wallet off more at home, but finding myself leaving it on most of the time, except for when i charge it via magsafe overnight.

Peak Design Mobile Wallet Slim - Charcoal https://www.amazon.com/Peak-Design-Mobile-Wallet-Slim/dp/B09FSGW671

Last edited:
Reactions: ebika and walds11

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
Always gone caseless. And i always find ways to drop the phones... luckily never had a broken glass.

Just know that it will most likely get damaged eventually. Don't get obsessed about the little dent or scratch here and there. IMHO the phone will still look better than any of the cases you could put on it.
This is me to a tee. I love having a careless phone and the dings and scratches don't get in the way of my use. Scratches on the screen disappear when it's on - more so than a screen protector disappears, anyway.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
After using my 15 Pro in a case for a week and now caseless and loving it! I find it easier to use & hold without the extra bulk of a case. Also can appreciate the beautiful looking device.

Just be wary where your device is - like in your pocket, is it going to fall out when sitting down and take care when taking it out of your pocket and putting it back in.

I have AppleCare just incase I have any accidents.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
This is me to a tee. I love having a careless phone and the dings and scratches don't get in the way of my use. Scratches on the screen disappear when it's on - more so than a screen protector disappears, anyway.

Ironically i‘m now using a case for the first time. The 15Pro is so slippery on the back, that it became uncomfortable for me to hold. (And also bigger than the Mini i had)

Now using a Pitaka case and it feels way more comfortable to me, without adding much weight or thickness.

Not even using it for protection, even though it has done a great job at it so far.

Reactions: JonnyMacx86

JSDK

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2024
I started using a case again when I bought my iPhone 15 Pro. An Apple Silicone cover, but before that I always went "semi caseless".

My iPhone 4 got scratches from being in a case, and after that I've only used sleeves to protect my iPhones. The smart thing about sleeves with a soft microfiber interior is that dust is not allowed to rub against the iPhone. Another advantage is that you get to enjoy the design on your iPhone.

The disadvantage is that you have to take the phone out of its sleeve every time you need to use it. However, it can also have the advantage that you use your phone a little less and are more present in the moment.

But if you want to go caseless, I would recommend a sleeve that protects against scratches when you have it in your pocket, in your bag or put it on a table. All my iPhones (minus the ones I dropped when I had them out of their sleeves) were in mint condition when I finished using them.

Today I find it more comfortable to just put a cover on. It also protects against the scratches that the back can get from using MagSafe, which I am a big user of.

Lakris

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2020
Norway
I've tried using cases many times but always go back to caseless simply because the phone looks best without a case and I think holding it is best caseless. I'm not the most careful person regarding personal belongings, but not the worst either, but I never broke a phone. (I might have drown one or two but that's many years ago long before smart phones was invented and I was a teenager).
My best tips would be to think about where you lay your phone, which surface and if it can scratch the camera or the screen depending on which way you choose to lay down your phone. Try not to multitask when using the phone, and be aware to hold a fast grip around it. Don't put it in your pant pockets and always be sure the phone is the only thing in your pocket to avoid scratches.

kadinh

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
I’m caseless this year but have adopted a magsafe wallet to give me a handful of benefits. FYI, i use the Peak Design wallet linked below. I like it because it gives me three feature outside of the wallet functionality.

1. A little more grip when pulling it out of a pocket. Also the ability to have more of a cradle grip when holding it normally.

2. I can put the phone down and not really worry about the surface as much. It doesn’t make a loud clicking noise on the kitchen counter and is also less likely to slide on something soft like a couch/bed.

3. It having a little height off a surface makes it easier to pick up quickly.

I thought it would take the wallet off more at home, but finding myself leaving it on most of the time, except for when i charge it via magsafe overnight.

Peak Design Mobile Wallet Slim - Charcoal https://www.amazon.com/Peak-Design-Mobile-Wallet-Slim/dp/B09FSGW671
thank you for mentioning this! I had never seen it but it looks like a great solution. I have many Peak products and all of them are top tier!

Reactions: DribbleCastle
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.