Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
OK, there's a watch none of you have ever seen before. Only a fixed number of these were made and I was lucky enough to get one. They were issued to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the PLA's Long March.
You are absolutely right; I most certainly had never seen it before.

Absolutely fascinating.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
OK, there's a watch none of you have ever seen before. Only a fixed number of these were made and I was lucky enough to get one. They were issued to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the PLA's Long March.

Most certainly something I’ve never seen before, thanks for sharing. Quite the acquired taste too, in many aspects.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Found this Mac app, The paid version is $2.99.

Last edited:

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Nice.

Yes, that's the one. However I paid a fair amount less than that shown - even with a nice s/s bracelet. Shopping around one can find some reasonable deals - believe mine was purchased during an Amazon special offer.

Last edited:

kaisoj

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2015
The Netherlands
These are mine:

IMG_0188.jpeg
IMG_0145.jpeg

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Very nice!
The Tissot PRX is perhaps one of the best Swiss watches with automatic movement in it's price range - if not the best. I've been wanting one for some time, but not wanting to pay full retail (even with a discount) I've been looking for one 'as new' on the s/h market. Patience, patience, patience.......;)

kaisoj

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2015
The Netherlands
Very nice!
The Tissot PRX is perhaps one of the best Swiss watches with automatic movement in it's price range - if not the best. I've been wanting one for some time, but not wanting to pay full retail (even with a discount) I've been looking for one 'as new' on the s/h market. Patience, patience, patience.......;)

Exactly! It's amazing how much watch you get for that price! This is the 35mm Mother of Pearl, but i also have the 40mm Ice Blue one. I prefer the 35mm one tho. I'm thinking to sell my 40mm one, because since i have the 35mm, the 40mm only sits in my watch roll.

Gorgeous, and thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks man! Really love both watches!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Exactly! It's amazing how much watch you get for that price! This is the 35mm Mother of Pearl, but i also have the 40mm Ice Blue one. I prefer the 35mm one tho. I'm thinking to sell my 40mm one, because since i have the 35mm, the 40mm only sits in my watch roll.
No watch should sit in a watch roll; wear them - they are designed to be worn and designed to be used and enjoyed and appreciated.

Wear them and enjoy wearing them.
Thanks man! Really love both watches!
My pleasure.

Enjoy them and wear them.

Reactions: kaisoj

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
It is funny the one Apple product I have little interest in is the Apple Watch. The biggest problem I have with it is its short battery life. There is something about a mechanical watch, even one with a quartz movement that speaks to me. The only thing that prevents me from purchasing one of the Seiko's, or the Citizen Eco-Drive watches is the fact I don't wear wrist watches anymore.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It is funny the one Apple product I have little interest in is the Apple Watch. The biggest problem I have with it is its short battery life. There is something about a mechanical watch, even one with a quartz movement that speaks to me. The only thing that prevents me from purchasing one of the Seiko's, or the Citizen Eco-Drive watches is the fact I don't wear wrist watches anymore.
Another who has absolutely no interest whatsoever in the Apple Watch.

I love mechanical watches, love their form, movement and I love their history.

Actually, I love the history of how we worked out ways and means of measuring the passage of time.

And, as this thread more than amply demonstrates, some of these timepieces are just exquisite, they are absolutely beautiful, they are that perfect fusion of form and function which is the mark of great design.

Reactions: transmaster

Queen6

macrumors G4
Another deep diver Citizen's infamous Promaster 1000m "Autozilla" This one being the OG mechanical with Miyota 8203 non hacking movement with the watch being ISO 6425 certified for mixed-gas diving.
IMG_20221101_222757.jpg

IMG_20221101_222752.jpg

Very much an indestructible tool and thanks to Citizens proprietary Duratect coating complexly devoid of scratches after close two decades...

Q-6

Reactions: ericwn

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
The ultimate dive watch, there can be no better. $49,000 USD. These are all pressure tested to 16,000 PSI. The gas escape is unique one of the killers of deep sea dive watches is helium it leaks into these watches used by Deep saturation divers. When they enter the hyperbaric chambers to return to the surface their watches are filled with helium at the pressure of their working depth. The watches explode. This watch has a pressure escape valve to vent the helium.

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 11.14.09.png

Last edited:
Reactions: circatee and Queen6

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
I got this one in the PX in Tokyo in 1989 for $2,000. They are called "Pepsi" because of the red & blue color. I had it completely overhauled for $300 in 2017 and in good condition, which this one is, they are now going for about $12,00.

Attachments

• Rolex "Pepsi|.jpg
    Rolex "Pepsi|.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 43

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
I got this one in the PX in Tokyo in 1989 for $2,000. They are called "Pepsi" because of the red & blue color. I had it completely overhauled for $300 in 2017 and in good condition, which this one is, they are now going for about $12,00.
Excuse a question from left field but how resistant are Rolex watches to bangs and hits? Does the movement hold up?

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Go on Youtube there are a number of horologist that service Rolex's. There is nothing really special about their movements they are just fantastically well put together. One that was repaired to perfect working order was in a plane crash that killed the owner.

Reactions: Queen6

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I am getting increasingly interested in getting a watch. I am really partial to Seiko. They have both automatic mechanical and solar powered, WWV set quartz movements. I am undecided as to which to get I like both of them.

This is a Coutra line, quartz movement, solar powered, with Radio sync. $695 directly from Seiko.

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 17.44.10.png

This is an automatic from the Presage line, $495

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 17.51.56.png

Reactions: ericwn

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I am getting increasingly interested in getting a watch. I am really partial to Seiko. They have both automatic mechanical and solar powered, WWV set quartz movements. I am undecided as to which to get I like both of them.

This is a Coutra line, quartz movement, solar powered, with Radio sync. $695 directly from Seiko.

View attachment 2249873

This is an automatic from the Presage line, $495

View attachment 2249874
Love both watches! I have a silver Courtura with the blue dial and it’s a stunning dial to me, but the watch is big and heavy - that’s not everyone’s taste. The integrated bracelet can be hard to fit as it has no micro adjustment- if you can try it in a shop, I strongly recommend that.

Reactions: transmaster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.