Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Agree about the battle scars on watches; wear them - they are designed to be worn and used - and post them.

Love the Breitling.
Is one of my favourite's, just need to be mindful when wearing it as is a fairly large piece and can easily take a big hit. As I tend to wear larger watches I've just naturally become careful with them. Had a good few others over the years that suffered through the learning curve LOL...

Q-6

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Why not post it?

Fair enough! I had been wearing my Apple watch while home for the last week, but went off to work this morning and took this:

IMG_1201.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks! I definitely enjoy wearing it, but it's due for a little TLC. I'll make a call to my favorite jeweler tomorrow and get it in once I'm back home Friday (incidentally I'm in London - lots of rain tonight!). :)
Wonderful.

And do I spy - with my bespectacled eyes - the interior of a cockpit of an aircraft in the background (well, beneath the hand whose wrist is adorned by a Breitling) of the image you have posted with the gorgeous Breitling?

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
And do I spy - with my bespectacled eyes - the interior of a cockpit of an aircraft in the background (well, beneath the hand whose wrist is adorned by a Breitling) of the image you have posted with the gorgeous Breitling?

That you do! My wrist was resting on the throttle quadrant when I snapped the pic. We were just getting ready to leave for your neck of the woods. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That you do! My wrist was resting on the throttle quadrant when I snapped the pic. We were just getting ready to leave for your neck of the woods. :)

Ha! It could have very well been a sim, but in this particular case it was the real deal.
Wonderful.

And it - an aircraft cockpit, and throttle quadrant - far surpasses the various (often quite impressive) car shots (feeaturing a wrist bearing an elegant timepiece resting - casually - near a steering wheel, sometimes with a manufacturer's barnd visible) that have been posted here.

Might one enquire as to what the plane itself actually was?

I'm mindful of your nom de plume - an amazing plane, but one which is no longer flying routes in the First World; (central Asia and east Africa are rather different; there, one will still travel in planes that no longer pass safety or noise tests in our part of the world).

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Might one enquire as to what the plane itself actually was?

I figure aviation themes go well with Breitlings!

This particular bird was N774AN, a 777-200ER. I never did fly the 727, but it's always been a favorite airplane since I was very young (incidentally, my birthday is also July 27th). I've gotta say though, flying the triple has been an absolute pleasure.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Ha! It could have very well been a sim (although usually they're darker inside), but in this particular case it was the real deal.
Aircraft are an absolute haven for the scratch magnets that watches are naturally attracted to LOL. Plenty of experience of that one.

Ever considered one of the Citizen Promaster's? They offer flight & diver orientated series. Manufactured in Japan, case & bracelet is Citizen's proprietary Super Titanium, coated with Duratec which results in an incredibly lightweight watch that is basically impervious to scratches. I've still got and wear my old Citizen U680, it's still in great condition after well over 15 years of hard wear :)

Citizen U680
LmpwZw

I went back to being a field engineer (O&G) as tired of being a manager and the office. Frequently wore the Citizen on countless flights, in engineering centre's & workshop's across the world and in the field. My U680 has been has been banged and scratched against most things known to man, yet remans to be impervious.

Is beyond me why more of the high end watchmakers dont pursue the likes of Super Titanium & Duratect is far beyond PVD and many DLC surface coatings in durability.

Papua New Guinea - 1000km from nowhere...
IMG20161008090402.jpg

Everything is flown in by heavy lift helicopter as this is the only option. While G-Shock's are the best option in such harsh circumstances. You can obviously scratch the Citizen, but has to be said takes some doing...

n.b. not all are Super Titanium, just need to be mindful of that if wanting the very high scratch resistance.

Q-6

Last edited:

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Aircraft are an absolute haven for the scratch magnets that watches are naturally attracted to LOL. Plenty of experience of that one.

Ever considered one of the Citizen Promaster's? They offer flight & diver orientated series. Manufactured in Japan, case & bracelet is Citizen's proprietary Super Titanium, coated with Duratec which results in an incredibly lightweight watch that is basically impervious to scratches. I've still got and wear my old Citizen U680, it's still in great condition after well over 15 years of hard wear :)

Citizen U680
LmpwZw

I went back to being a field engineer (O&G) as tired of being a manager and the office. Frequently wore the Citizen on countless flights, in engineering centre's & workshop's across the world and in the field. My U680 has been has been banged and scratched against most things known to man, yet remans to be impervious.

Is beyond me why more of the high end watchmakers dont pursue the likes of Super Titanium & Duratect is far beyond PVD and many DLC surface coatings in durability.

Papua New Guinea - 1000km from nowhere...
View attachment 2272328
Everything is flown in by heavy lift helicopter as this is the only option. While G-Shock's are the best option in such harsh circumstances. You can obviously scratch the Citizen, but has to be said takes some doing...

n.b. not all are Super Titanium, just need to be mindful of that if wanting the very high scratch resistance.

Q-6

Fantastic advice - I'll check it out!

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Fantastic advice - I'll check it out!
From my experience the Citizen's in Super Titanium are well worth their price point. Very much a wear and forget type of watch that subjectively looks great and has saved a lot of wear & tear on my more expensive Swiss/German watches. While the ubiquitous resin G-Shock's are the kings of taking a beating, there's just times & places they are a bad fit for obvious reasons. Casio does have similar lines such as MR-G, MT-G & PR-X (Pro Trek). I know that MT-G and the less adventure orientated Pro Trek's stand up very well, so would expect the more expensive MR-G to at least equal if not better (good DLC costs).

MTG-G1000-RG-1A one of just 700 produced (left). My other MT-G is the 35th anniversary model with neither showing much if any wear. The downside to MT-G line is the very specific design language (more tamed these days) and MR-G's get pricy fast. Somewhere I've a picture of a $10K MR-G o_O
IMG_20230628_150720.jpg 1695359169927.png

Pair of the latest Citizen Skyhawk A-T's, similar to my Promaster (same calibre U680) having a very busy dial. Echo Drive so no battery changes or maintenance as such :) Think my Promaster was around $800-$900 when I purchased it direct from Japan.
1695356525090.png 1695356565546.png

Automatic Diver's and prestige pieces with Echo Drive & GPS timekeeping.
1695357070825.png 1695357162825.png
Pricing on the Super Titanium models is pretty decent starting off at around $300 (discounted) up to around $3,500. I really like the Attesa (bottom right), but already have too many watches and terrible for keeping hold of them LOL...

Downsides of the U680 movement; If you completely deplete the battery (actually a capacitor) it may not recover and is complex in the extreme to set all the functions. That said I've had no issue in over 15 years and very likely to get another 15 before the battery needs to be changed :cool:

Q-6

Last edited:

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
From my experience the Citizen's in Super Titanium are well worth their price point. Very much a wear and forget type of watch that subjectively looks great and has saved a lot of wear & tear on my more expensive Swiss/German watches. While the ubiquitous resin G-Shock's are the kings of taking a beating, there's just times & places they are a bad fit for obvious reasons. Casio does have similar lines such as MR-G, MT-G & PR-X (Pro Trek). I know that MT-G and the less adventure orientated Pro Trek's stand up very well, so would expect the more expensive MR-G to at least equal if not better (good DLC costs).

MTG-G1000-RG-1A one of just 700 produced (left). My other MT-G is the 35th anniversary model with neither showing much if any wear. The downside to MT-G line is the very specific design language (more tamed these days) and MR-G's get pricy fast. Somewhere I've a picture of a $10K MR-G o_O
View attachment 2274348 View attachment 2274361

Pair of the latest Citizen Skyhawk A-T's, similar to my Promaster (same calibre U680) having a very busy dial. Echo Drive so no battery changes or maintenance as such :) Think my Promaster was around $800-$900 when I purchased it direct from Japan.
View attachment 2274291 View attachment 2274296

Automatic Diver's and prestige pieces with Echo Drive & GPS timekeeping.
View attachment 2274305 View attachment 2274307
Pricing on the Super Titanium models is pretty decent starting off at around $300 (discounted) up to around $3,500. I really like the Attesa (bottom right), but already have too many watches and terrible for keeping hold of them LOL...

Q-6

That Attesa is especially awesome. Love the color!

• Love
Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.