Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
My dad is still using an iPhone 3G from 2008. Not a clue how it is still functional! Never had a battery replacement either and it almost looks brand new due to him keeping it in one of those iPod Socks 😂

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I'm wondering whom here has the same mindset and what generation iPhone you're still using.

The oldest phone I still use for anything is a 3GS from 2009, but it isn’t my primary phone.

If you've got something more modern what programs or features can you not do without?

The phone is my primary camera now, so even small camera quality improvements warrant an upgrade.

Last edited:

Agincourt

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Okay if we're including working devices which serve some other purchase I do have an original iPhone that still works, although the display has a crack. Still has the clownfish wallpaper and 3D icons, reminiscent of older times.

The 1 - 6 all belonged to my sister and I decided to keep them rather than trade in for virtually nothing. Eventually going to have to remove the batteries, but for now they all still work. The 7 on right is the only one still working as a phone.
IMG_2074.jpeg

Reactions: rocketbuc

RUGERMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Risk from what?
Right, I just had a problem with my 11 and until I was able to get that straighten out I used an old iPhone 6 and it was just fine for calls msg and looking up things on Safari. I do like my 11 better though.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
My Original (2007) still works as an iPod Touch, but not as a phone. I can't get it to pair with Bluetooth earbuds though, and the only set I have with a 3.5mm jack won't fit because Jonny Ive trolled us for a year with that damn recessed plug.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
I have a 6S+ sitting on my side table as a paperweight. My kids found it and I tried turning it on, it asks for a 6 digit passcode… never in my life have I used a 6 digit passcode. I’m stumped. I’ve had the big sized phones ever since though. Love them.

Annv

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2019
I have a 1st gen SE as a daily driver, but I don't consider it old. It's fast, runs all the apps, and even receives updates.

2 GB of RAM is still adequate for current apps and web.

I don't like current developments with the iPhones (no headphone jack, eye-straining screens, big size and weight, notch/pill, ugly design and more), so I'll keep my current one for as long as I can.

Mr.Ben

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2022
I have a 6S+ sitting on my side table as a paperweight. My kids found it and I tried turning it on, it asks for a 6 digit passcode… never in my life have I used a 6 digit passcode. I’m stumped. I’ve had the big sized phones ever since though. Love them.
Maybe try starting in recovery mode to restore to factory settings.

Apple support article: If you've forgotten your iPhone passcode

Had to do this with my grandparents' older iPad the other day as it had maxed the number of failed login attempts and was saying 'disabled - connect to iTunes'. Restored it OK. To do that it did require the Apple account login details it was originally set up with though.

🙂👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.