Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
I know this is the Mac gaming forum, but I thought this was still relevant.

I'm wanting to buy a bigger hard drive for my 20GB PS3 and install Linux on it. I'm hoping that under Linux, the PS3's drive will then show up on my Mac through the local network, and allow me to copy files directly. Has anyone tried this?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's not a practical solution with 256mb ram, and since there isn't an optimised Linux out there for the PS3 (Geek Patrol said it matches the benchmark of a Pentium 3 800MHz system) then you'll be in for a slow fest.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
It's not a practical solution with 256mb ram, and since there isn't an optimised Linux out there for the PS3 (Geek Patrol said it matches the benchmark of a Pentium 3 800MHz system) then you'll be in for a slow fest.
Yellow Dog for PS3 isn't optimised? That...kind of defeats the point, eh?

Still, Linux can run with very low system requirements. It should definitely work good for network storage and I'm curious if it could stream SD video via VLC.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
I'm not so much concerned about streaming video, as there are already other solutions to do that under the PS3's OS.

What I want to know is if I boot up Linux on the PS3 that's connected to my home network, will the PS3's hard drive show up on my Mac as a network disk and let me view/edit/copy the contents of the drive from my computer?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
When I first got my PS3 from the marketplace here, it had Linux installed.

I'd say the peformance was about the same as my old G4 iBook 800mhz.

You still have to be a bit of a 'geek' because you still have to perform a lot of sudo editing to get it working properly, and for a feature that is meant to be easy to go back and forth, Sony really should have included some kind of GUI change to select PS3 or Linux and you shouldnt have to manualy type into bios/terminal command, to get your machine to re-function as a ps3...

Yes it works, but it cumbersomely implemented and doesnt make the best of the PS3 so the reality is..... why bother ?

tominated

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2006
Queensland, Australia
I'm not so much concerned about streaming video, as there are already other solutions to do that under the PS3's OS.

What I want to know is if I boot up Linux on the PS3 that's connected to my home network, will the PS3's hard drive show up on my Mac as a network disk and let me view/edit/copy the contents of the drive from my computer?

well, considering YDL was designed for ps3, i don't think sony would let the do that. Plus, it probably makes a partition for itself

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.