Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I still don't understand where the value comes from. Like goods and services produce value. What does BitCoin offer that provides value to somebody else?

I guess I'm just not getting it this time around. :(

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I still don't understand where the value comes from. Like goods and services produce value. What does BitCoin offer that provides value to somebody else?

I guess I'm just not getting it this time around. :(

As anything it comes from demand. So long as other people want to purchase then the market will dictate the price.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
As anything it comes from demand. So long as other people want to purchase then the market will dictate the price.

But what I don't get is what are people demanding? We make these hashes with a GPU send them off someplace and then what is done with them?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I won't pretend to have a machine that will be able to do anything remotely productive. But If you need someone to join simply to fulfill a requirement for team members, I would be happy to join (and to bow out for later arrivals if needed).

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2004
I would be willing to get involved, too. Is there a minimum number of participants needed to make it worthwhile?

adagio

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2009
I'll play

The GeFOrce GPU in my current model 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 imac is (apparently) not a patch on radeon cards when it comes to bitmining. Is there any (easy) way of plugging in PCIe cards to it?

I looked into buying a custom ASIC device from Butterfly Labs (that plugs into USB). They look like an absolute bargain at $274 for a machine that would (if I could plug one in right now) mine/mint enough bitcoins to pay for itself in under a week. When I did a little research however, I discovered that delivery times are well over six months (!!!) by which time, due to the nature of the system, they will not be able to make money anything like as quickly. This is widely being called a scam, though the company have produced hardware before. For reference, an older device of theirs that would produce 20% of the coins this new device promises is currently on sale on ebay for over $1800 with 12 hours still to run!

Be aware that as more coins are minted/mined the 'difficulty' of the calculations increases. This is the means by which the rarity value is controlled and so makes 'investments' on a 6+month timescale very risky.

EDITED ADDITION
I just remembered I had thunderbolt on my iMac so I did a little Googling and discovered, (from what I can work out at least), that I should be able to buy a thunderbolt to PCI adapter http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index.php?t=product/sonnet_son-echoexpse into which I would be able to plug in a PCI video card http://www.ebuyer.com/454252-sapphi...-hdmi-displayport-pci-e-graphics-11196-19-20g that would vastly increase the rate at which I can mine. Can someone with a better idea of the above confirm this for me?

A hardware comparison I've looked at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison suggests the above card could perform at 500Mhps. The built in GeFOrce card on my iMac does 22Mhps.

Last edited:

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
Count me in. I have a server that is on 24/7. I have been thinking of pickup up a nice nvidia card for it for just this. Right now i am doing CPU only mining and it is painful.

How do we go about setting up a group?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I have joined Eclipsemc and it's been a lot of fun. I've made about $10 in 2 days with a machine that will consistently do over a 1gh/s. They also don't take fees unless you do PPS (Pay Per Share).

Although I am confused by how they list the speed of my machine. I checked it right now and it was saying it was going 3.44gh/s. I don't believe this is mathematically possible :p

My hardware is crap everything except a 1200w PSU and 2x7970's. I have been running it since tuesday night.

When I OC the cards with the AMD catalyst control center I can get 700+ mh/s out of them but I can't do this until I get a good fan setup blowing on them. They tend to run over 80c when OC'd.

If anyone wants to try bitcoin mining for fun, I would recommend it. It's not going to make you rich mining with your macbook pro but it is a lot of fun. It is also not that difficult to pick up. I use GUIminer which makes things much easier.

Can you schedule GUIMiner? My iMac is on all the time so when I'm at work it could happily chug away.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Since cheap ASICs are starting to ship and get into people's hand the difficulty is going to spike soon (Even more than it already is) and it will render FPGAs and GPU mining far too inefficient and costly. Unless of course your hardware is already paid for, then you still got a little bit of run left.

Butterflylabs is shipping a $278 dollar 5 GH/s USB dongle based miner that runs on 5 W. They have been taking orders for a year and they recently fulfilled about half of their pre orders. One of the guys I normally speak with picked up 8 of them for $2000 and hes about halfway on his initial investment after a few days. Hes averaging about 2.5 coins a day which will decrease but he still stands to make his money back quickly and then a lot more before the difficulty ramps up too far.

However the longevity of these Butterfly ASICs has yet to be seen. I can't imagine though even with ASICs going down due to bad hardware the difficulty will be doing that big of a pullback.

vaderhater245

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
I'll play.

Been mining Bitcoins since mid 2010 and Litecoins since late 2011. From my experience, digital currency is like a roller coaster ride from h***. I'm still considered a "small time" miner.

Now that I have experience with ASICs, I can honestly say GPU mining is done for. LTC is probably everyone's best bet if they already have equipment.

My advise to newcomers is to cautiously buy whatever you feel comfortable with. Remind yourself everyday you could wake up tomorrow and have BTC and LTC be worthless. If you're willing to live with that fact, then welcome to future!

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
Count me in. I have a server that is on 24/7. I have been thinking of pickup up a nice nvidia card for it for just this. Right now i am doing CPU only mining and it is painful.

How do we go about setting up a group?

The last thing you want to do is to buy an nVidia card for bitcoin mining, the most cost efficient cards are the radeon 5xxx series.
I'm hunting for a new pair of 5970's. (dual 5870 on one PCB)

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Bitcoin is a way to send value over the internet for free. It is completely decentralized, open source and not controlled by any one entity. It uses military grade encryption (cryptography) to ensure the same bitcoin is not spent twice, preventing counterfeiting. This cryptography also secures wallets and transactions. Only 21 million bitcoins can ever be created, but they can be divided nearly infinitely should the need arise.

Bitcoins are "mined" by computationally calculating a 256 bit number (which is huge) that is less than or equal to the "target" number (set by the bitcoin software). If your computer can find this number, you are rewarded with a block of 25 bitcoins. This reward is halved every 210,000 blocks. The original reward was 50 bitcoins, and in 4 years it will drop to 12.5. The bitcoin software automatically adjusts the mining difficulty so a block of bitcoins is discovered on average every 10 minutes. The more mining power, the more difficult it is to find them. Because the probability of finding a block on your own is so low now, most miners belong to a "pool" that finds blocks together and splits the profits based on the computing power of each individual's rig.

Currently a bitcoin is worth between 130 and 150 dollars. You can exchange them for dollars or any other currency, or simply spend them in the bitcoin economy (which is still small but quickly growing).

The bitcoin "miners" are what create and secure the bitcoin network. In fact, they are the bitcoin network. Thousands upon thousands of computers, mining away, looking for bitcoins, collectively creating and verifying the blockchain.

What's the blockchain, you ask?

Put simply, think of it as a massive accounting ledger. Every transaction on the bitcoin network is recorded here, and each transaction is tied to the last. So if a hacker wants to spend a bitcoin twice, he would not only have to hack the transaction in question, but every transaction thereafter. When you sent bitcoins to another address, the blockchain verifies it within minutes, and the transaction is complete. A mining fee of (on average) .0001 bitcoins is added as a reward for the miners.

Bitcoin is a simple and elegant design that solves the problems plaguing currencies all over the world. It puts you in control of your money, secures your wallets (aka bitcoin addresses) with military grade encryption and keeps the government's grubby hands off of it. It is as anonymous as you make it.

That is why it's so popular.

Very eloquent and informative summary.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Can I buy a liter of milk with bitcoins or anything at Amazon ? :confused:
I really don't get it ... Seems like a pyramid game or a big bubble generator ... :eek:

If I read that stuff I feel old as I really don't get what makes the value. And as it create kind of income I wonder what the tax authorities say once they realize there is virtual value convertible into real world currency.

I guess I keep folding aliens :rolleyes:

But I don't mind someone explain an old man what's behind.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Can I buy a liter of milk with bitcoins or anything at Amazon ? :confused:
I really don't get it ... Seems like a pyramid game or a big bubble generator ... :eek:
Technically, it's illegal in most countries - it's a decentralised currency. America (especially) won't allow it, as ALL money has to go through the correct avenues. Granted, I have heard of some shops/outlets that allow for BC transactions to be made in USA and other places.

If I read that stuff I feel old as I really don't get what makes the value. And as it create kind of income I wonder what the tax authorities say once they realize there is virtual value convertible into real world currency.
Illegal. Fake. Non trusted. Etc.

The drive is the algorithms and computation time, it is also a limited asset, in that there are x amount of BitCoins out there, and nobody can ever great more. All you can do is use your computer to "mine" for more, you invest and you are rewarded. Each iteration makes it harder to be rewarded (so you have to either spend more time computing, or more $ investing to get the same exact number of BCs as the previous iteration). It's a slow process though. It was designed this way to take into consideration Moore's Law and whatnot.

I guess I keep folding aliens ::rolleyes::
hehe, aren't they going to stop that soon enough? (I thought I read that somewhere)

But I don't mind someone explain an old man what's behind.

Hi CJ, and all others - I've been busy with work these past few months travelling around and whatnot, but let me chime in here for an update, the best I can do for midnight on a Sunday evening anyway!

Firstly, thanks for the participation thus far. It's been good reading the positive and negative comments. As somebody who would consider investing money into BC I appreciate the speculation and criticisms as much as the other comments.

Secondly, I think the most appropriate way to explain BC trading (and mining) is like a commodity such as gold.
- BC, like gold, can be traded from entity to entity - I could convert my hard earned cash into the BC currency via online traders. I give the online trader my secure wallet ID public key (such that it's 100% secure, aka, deposit only), they take their 1-3% exchange rate fees (as they always do) and suddenly I have internet moneys. In a similar fashion, I can convert my BC back into another currency. That is the trading side of it, currently it's very unpredictable. As in, $60USD = 1BC on Thursday, $100USD = 1BC yesterday.
- In addition to trading the commodity, one can also mine it. If you are rich enough, you can mine for gold (I'm sure there are licensing fees in some countries for this, but the Internet is a free place - so please disregard that aspect for now) just in the same manner you can mine for BCs.

My idea was to set up a MacRumors team, and a server (I would organise) that each team member connects to, to mine for BCs. A BC is generally broken up into many pieces, each persons machine attempts to compute the correct mathematical conversions for the BC, and if we are successful in getting the answer before anybody else then we win! Each member of the team gets their cut (the cut is a percentage of how much computing power they contributed into the pool over the entire period of calculations, so is a fair return) and the next BC is chosen.

Of course, there are quite a few considerations, such as investment (electricity usage, purchasing extra hardware) vs return (BC received, time, machine damage) & additional concerns I'm sure; such as "how much do I have to contribute per day to make a positive return?", etcetc.. So if you have them please voice, and I will attempt to address as best I can. I am still learning a lot about this myself - but I think it would certainly be fun to play around with!

Thanks for the time & attention! I do hope this can be successful.

DoFo

7thpitbull

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
Hi guys,

I've been diving into BitCoin lately, have computed myself about 1BC (worth about $120-$140US at time of writing). It has been very up and down lately, but it's stable at +100USD when a month ago it was stuck around 15-30USD. I think it will stay high and therefore I will invest some resources into computing (mining) for those precious iMoneys.

Normally it's easiest to compute in a larger team, I personally am already a member at a few, but if there's interest for a MR based team, lets start one!!

So please feel free to discuss!

Today's 1BTC Price vs USD (29th Apr 2013): $134.6

DoFoT9

I am currently putting out 68.5 MHash/s and would be willing to jump in and help you. I know it's kinda slow but I am planning on purchasing a block erupter soon as well as a nice radeon to replace my gtx 460. I do this for fun and am not worried about power use as my local rates are cheep and I am starting to use solar to offset my cost.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
I am currently putting out 68.5 MHash/s and would be willing to jump in and help you. I know it's kinda slow but I am planning on purchasing a block erupter soon as well as a nice radeon to replace my gtx 460. I do this for fun and am not worried about power use as my local rates are cheep and I am starting to use solar to offset my cost.

Last edited:

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Just ordered a block erupter off ebay. It will be fun to play with. I wish I had spend the $1200 I used for my rig on a bunch of block erupters. But oh well, live and learn :)

Nice guys - how is the performance of that thing going?!

I'll try to get my act together and see what I can do for the BTC mining server. It has been very tense of late, even the BTC Exchange went down for a while and it wasn't certain if it would come back up.. Here's hoping.

edit: updated OP to include pricing changes/history.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
Nice guys - how is the performance of that thing going?!

I'll try to get my act together and see what I can do for the BTC mining server. It has been very tense of late, even the BTC Exchange went down for a while and it wasn't certain if it would come back up.. Here's hoping.

edit: updated OP to include pricing changes/history.

Last edited:

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
It's been doing the advertised 334mh/s since I set it up. It was a bit confusing using CGminer which is a command line miner as opposed to the GUIminer which is GUI hahaha. It was also a little difficult to get the drivers installed correctly but now that it works it is nice. I have mildly overclocked my cards and the machine now does an average of 1.5gh/s over a scale of about 10 blocks. It is nice. The pool I'm on, Eclipsemc was at about a 3th/s network speed when I originally posted in early june and it is now at over 20th/s!!! A lot of the ASIC miners have shipped which have caused the network speed and difficulty to skyrocket. Luckily I'm still making a few bucks a day but from a profit standpoint when factoring in electricity costs I am deep in the hole. But oh, well it is fun to mine :)

That info is really valuable - thanks for explaining. There has been a lot of negative hype, especially from SEC in the US a few days ago (see here).

For me it's more just the entire concept that I find attractive - so I enjoy it. I've used cgiminer a bit so if you need help give me a shout.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
That info is really valuable - thanks for explaining. There has been a lot of negative hype, especially from SEC in the US a few days ago (see here).

For me it's more just the entire concept that I find attractive - so I enjoy it. I've used cgiminer a bit so if you need help give me a shout.

Last edited:

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
No problem, That is a very interesting article. I agree on the concept. It is fun to mine and I like the idea of how the currency is distributed through the wallets and things. I think I have a grasp on CGminer for now while just running 1 block erupter but if I get more and struggle I will definitely let you know, Thanks!

Ah no problem - have you calculated your ROI properly yet or just playing with the numbers? I'm still trying to decide what's best for a good return.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.