Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavericks7913

Suspended
Original poster
May 17, 2014
What is currently the fastest Mac for Photoshop?

Technically, iMac's i9-9900K with 5ghz clock speed is the fastest. BUT, because of the poor cooling system, iMac 2019 can maintain the speed at 3.8ghz according to the Youtube testing.

Yup, blame Apple's worst cooling system.

iMac Pro has a better cooling system but I wouldnt spend too much money on that thing just for Photoshop.

Reactions: swissbob

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Technically, iMac's i9-9900K with 5ghz clock speed is the fastest. BUT, because of the poor cooling system, iMac 2019 can maintain the speed at 3.8ghz according to the Youtube testing.

iMac Pro has a better cooling system but I wouldnt spend too much money on that thing just for Photoshop.
Cut a hole on the back of it ;)

swissbob

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2019

Thank you for the information:)

That’s exactly what I got. I use it only for photoshop and other photosoftware like dxo and so on...

David King

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2019
I have no problem stating the 28 core, dual GPU Pro will be faster, however like a previous poster mentioned the CPU is ~$7500, 2 GPU's are ~$7000, RAM ~$9000 (iMac Pro 256 is $5200, 128 $2000). My guess is this is at least a $30K+ system being compared (not unfavorably) to a $4000 system. Course putting your own RAM in will save $7k since Apple's markup is insane (Dell is bad too just not quite so bad). Heat throttling should be massively superior to iMac for continuous processing.

For my Photoshop users there is no value. For my rendering and animation team maybe... but unlikely at $30-40k each.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.