Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I think a better adage would be:

“It’s a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”
I remember working on a contract where I was supposed to scan 6 years of a company's newsletters and turn them into readable, searchable documents. OCR wasn't all that reliable at the time, but I managed to do 12 years in the time that I was supposed to do 6 years.

They extended the contract and moved me to another area with a different computer that was new and supposedly better. The shielding apparently wasn't very good and the cheap RAM was causing the machine to re-boot. It had restarted 30 times in one day.

I saved my work quite often and in the end, despite computer problems, I finished 26 years of their newsletters, and they were nearly as good as they had been published digitally in the first place.

Mind, not everyone has the discipline to do things routinely. I would hope that people would learn from their mistakes and modify their routines.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Rradcircless

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
You mean you didn’t use software that advertised backup functionality? Microsoft Word, Ulysses, I’m sure there are many programs for you which are able to backup locally or to iCloud.

Reactions: KeithBN

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I will say that I have that iCloud documents crap turned OFF. I didn't understand how it worked when they released it.

Works perfectly for me and countless others.
When I say ‘perfectly’, I mean it. My only wish is that I could sync external disks.

Reactions: Rradcircless

xdeama

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2021
Another frustrated hate speech because cloud has been mistaken for backup and well working software has failed once in 25 years with really bad timing.

Professional software or consumer software, that line is very blurry and both may fail you. Especially if you notice weird behaviour and neither act nor backup.

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
I’m sorry but Apple’s software execution has been off the rails for sometime. Why is it so hard to accept that? It’s buggy, there is no pretending it’s not. iCloud has issues, lots of them. One issue being the never ending syncing and grinding machines to a halt. I’ve seen it. There are countless posts on this forum about Apple software issues. Apple still can’t tell my why my Studio Display turns magenta randomly…I can see it’s a memory issue right in the logs. The software has gotten crappy, the support people are not the same caliber as when the stores first opened, and they treat you
Like they are doing you a favor by fixing their broken stuff. The quality has been going down for a long time. Instead of blindly defending Apple by dismissing every form of criticism….how about hold Apple accountable for its problems.

Apple products are not a reflection of you and your values to the world. They are a greedy corporation trying to squeeze every cent they can out of you like everyone else. Stop putting them on a pedestal.

Reactions: mode11 and AlixSPQR

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I never used Apple software like pages or whatever, and as soon as they stopped using standard cmd s to do a regular file save in a place where you wanted it instead of what the hell it is now I never even looked at it again.

That said, if you’re doing professional work you really need to save the work regularly yourself, and back it up yourself. This is the only real option.

All computers and all programmes crash, power goes down, batteries run out, something physically happens to you - there’s too many variables. If you can’t find an app that actively helps you do that in an easily verifiable manner, as well as enabling a manual override whenever you think of it, then I would reconsider the entire system if something is unavailable on it. It’s just not worth it.

I use Apple macs and iPads as a photographer along with Adobe Lightroom Classic and Photoshop, and their cloud since they offer no other option for syncing. It’s the industry standard and realistically there isn’t any better than what they provide, especially across multiple devices.

It’s f’ing awful though. So many time wasting problems with either the Mac the iPad the sync or more often than not Adobe.

Capture one is better for raw editing, but only standalone, the syncing and iPad offerings don’t complete at the moment - Photomator is well designed, and the sync works even though it relies on iCloud - but the raw editor is not on par. To mention just two of the many I have tried.

Techs obsession with ‘simplifying’ things has turned many things in to an over complicated mess.

Reactions: Chuckeee

d4zza

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Your decision to use the device and software products for such important work sounds like your downfall here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.