Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
This is extremely irritating to me as I constantly forget the stupid cube and am stuck with a useless cord. Why would they make these two separate pieces? Most people use these cords to charge from a 12 volt outlet, not a laptop.

I get that there are different outlets in different countries but why do u never see them in the US?

808drums

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2017
This is extremely irritating to me as I constantly forget the stupid cube and am stuck with a useless cord. Why would they make these two separate pieces? Most people use these cords to charge from a 12 volt outlet, not a laptop.

I get that there are different outlets in different countries but why do u never see them in the US?

Just don’t unplug the cable from the power adapter.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Because when the outer shielding starts to break away at either end (usually the lightening end) you can just buy a new cable rather than the entire plug adapter.....

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Because the cable itself is dual purpose. It not only can charge a device, it can also transfer data... thus it has an end connector capable of fulfilling both tasks. Otherwise you would need a least two cables.

The obvious solution was to separate the wall outlet adapter to it's own component. It's been this way for quite some time... decades to be exact.

Reactions: primarycolors

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I always keep a backup cord and cube, as well as a backup Qi charger with me in the car, as well as present with me at work etc.

As others have said, it is easier to buy the cord than having to buy both each time.

Keep a spare set in your school backpack.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Because when the outer shielding starts to break away at either end (usually the lightening end) you can just buy a new cable rather than the entire plug adapter.....
And also much easier to change the adapter if you switch countries...

Reactions: Ifti and jagolden

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Those chargers are a dime a dozen. Just keep the cord plugged in and you won’t forget the cube.

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
They now make power outlets and power strips with the end built in so you don’t need the cube.
Is one example, there’s a lot more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.