Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deep_learned_mistake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
I was just browsing the financials today for fun and I noticed that Apple has an incredible amount liabilities and it only appears to be growing:

1693963683894.png

Here's Google for comparison:
1693963795382.png

I'm just curious why this may be and I'm hoping you wonderful people might be able to help :)

Attachments

• Samsung (KRW).png
    Samsung (KRW).png
    45.2 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

Salt City Ute

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
Salt Lake City, Utah
Apple and Alphabet are very different companies. I know Apple has previously taken out an incredible amount of debt via corporate bonds due to it being cheaper to pay tax deductible interest than actual taxes.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Apple and Alphabet are very different companies. I know Apple has previously taken out an incredible amount of debt via corporate bonds due to it being cheaper to pay tax deductible interest than actual taxes.

++ This has a lot to do with it. Apple has repeatedly issued bonds to generate cash locally against cash/investments held overseas in order to avoid the tax liability that comes when you repatriate foreign holdings. Apple has just done this to a much greater extent than a lot of other companies, and uses this debt mostly for stock buybacks.

There's nothing even remotely under the table about what Apple does and they certainly have the credit to do so without any long-term risk. It does, however, poke a hornet's nest of criticism that what Apple is doing is a particularly aggressive way to avoid paying U.S. taxes, with the result only benefitting large institutional investors. But that's an argument for another thread.

Reactions: ader42
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.