Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sabot105mm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
i find it weird that jailbroken appletvs sell for so much money on ebay. Now is that because ISO5.1 hasn't been jailbroken yet, or has the jailbroken appletvs always been able to sell for so much money. in other words, is the present cost for jailbroken appletvs on ebay just a bubble?

Last edited:

sabot105mm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
ok thanks. but read my post again cause one would expect a answer different than yours.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Sounds like a good response to me. I have 2 ATV's one is jailbroken on 4.4.4 and the other is upgraded to iOS Version 5 and not jailbroken.

I wish I could jailbreak the other one, so I can watch HULU and the movies on my server.

I'd pay more for a jailbroken one. I am waiting for the new version to get jailbroken.

Once you have XBMC on your Apple TV it's worth much more IMO.

sabot105mm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
yeah but for 200 dollars in most cases? at the moment 5.1 can not be jailbroken. one would think the price is that high because of it. meaning a price bubble.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
yeah but for 200 dollars in most cases? at the moment 5.1 can not be jailbroken. one would think the price is that high because of it. meaning a price bubble.

The problem is we dont know when that could be. I'm debating buying an apple tv on 4.4.4 or an atv3 on 5.1 and just waiting it out.... Suggestions?

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY

It may be a bubble price, though even when it is jailbreakable one that is already jailbroken will sell for more. Some people don't want to do it themselves. They might not have a computer, or don't want to figure it out. Not to mention, after jailbreaking you then need to add software. If it's added before you buy it, it saves some people a headache.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
jailbroken iOS device always sell for a higher price right after a new firmware is released and Apple stop signing the Jailbroken firmware, some people are willing to pay to have a JB device after they cannot be JB anymore

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Just want to remind everybody that AirFlick works great and helps alleviate the need for a jailbreak for the time being.

sabot105mm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
does anyone think once 5.1 can be jailbroken, one could still make money selling them?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No kidding genius. But if you actually read one of the postings on eBay, you would see that they're referring to jailbroken ATV2 as unlocked ATV2.

Here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-TV-2-...C_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item2a1b840448

I apologies your royal highness, I got no understanding of that "jailbreak" you speak about, I am just a simple user :rolleyes:

Even on a JBed deviced, there not "carrier" you "genius" all the content come from internet streaming, and the premiums channels are stolen recordings.

DTxAg

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
Firecore has apparently released a jailbreak for 5.0. Unfortunately, it is a tethered jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.