Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Something's been bothering me as of late, and it's how Apple still sells the Mac, limited to just authorized resellers. This has been the way since the 90s, since retailers like CompUSA (yay I'm old) didn't sell the Mac computers well, directing customers to different machines which prompted Apple to pull out from retailers and just do their own stores. Eventually they decided to bring the Mac back to retailers, but only to select partnered retailers.

Now back when they sold just Macs that made sense. The Mac was their entire business strategy, their primary product, and even during the era of the iPod that was still the case. They needed to control the message and sell the key product. Fast forward to now, and the Mac is now more secondary to their big breadwinner the iPhone. As I was getting groceries at Sam's Club in the electronics section where were lots of laptops, and an entire section with Apple devices with iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches, and Homepods on display. Yet the one thing not there, was Macs. Go to Target and in the computer section they got lots of laptops and iPhones, iPads, and Apple Watches, but no Macs.

I don't understand why the Mac is to this day still limited to where it's sold. It's not like it's a supply issue since they sell Macs on Amazon. It made sense to limit it back then, but nowadays it's just unnecessary since literally all their other products are sold at every retailer regardless if they're authorized or not, but the Mac is the one thing that isn't despite the Mac being the hottest it has ever been.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It’s a choice by the reseller. At the end of the day, Mac replacement cycles are far longer than iPhone, iPad, Watch, or wearables. Retailers simply get more revenue per sq. ft. along with a higher accessory attach rate compared to Mac. Not to mention the possibility of wireless sign up for those devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.