Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xmach

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2020
I just noticed (running macOS 12.1) that not only are several independent web browsers larger (in terms of consumed storage space) than Safari, the difference is very substantial.

- Apple Safari (version 15.2) is 14.5 MB

meanwhile:

- Mozilla Firefox (version 96.x) is 360 MB
- Microsoft Edge (version 97.x) is 679.4 MB
- Google Chrome (version 97.x) is 967.5 MB

What explains the huge file sizes of these 3rd-party web browser applications?
(small note: Get Info indicates that all apps are Universal binaries)

Reactions: yitwail

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The main reason is because Safari is part of the OS. The .app that you look at is just a 'shell' around the system-provided browser engine (i.e. the bulk of Safari is somewhere in /System, not in Safari.app).

The other browsers are self-contained and therefore all their supporting files are within the .app.

Reactions: pullman and xmach

xmach

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2020
The main reason is because Safari is part of the OS. The .app that you look at is just a 'shell' around the system-provided browser engine (i.e. the bulk of Safari is somewhere in /System, not in Safari.app).

The other browsers are self-contained and therefore all their supporting files are within the .app.
that makes some sense, especially along with the prior comment from @yitwail that the Safari Technology Preview is similar in size to Firefox.

But then how to explain why the sizes of Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome are several multiples of Firefox's? There's gotta be something else going on...?

Separately, if the bulk of Safari is in /System/, is there a way to get an accounting (at least roughly) of how large all those collective supporting files are (in order to make fair comparisons to the 3rd party browsers)?

Last edited:

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Do you have all of the web browsers pointed to the same content?

Safari vs Chrome with one tab open sitting on the google home page. Not that different on my laptop...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 4.14.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 4.14.15 PM.png
    192.4 KB · Views: 89

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Do you have all of the web browsers pointed to the same content?

Safari vs Chrome with one tab open sitting on the google home page. Not that different on my laptop...
That's memory usage, which isn't what's being asked about here.

Separately, if the bulk of Safari is in /System/, is there a way to get an accounting (at least roughly) of how large all those collective supporting files are (in order to make fair comparisons to the 3rd party browsers)?
You could poke around in the package and see where all the files go.

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
That's memory usage, which isn't what's being asked about here.

You could poke around in the package and see where all the files go.
You are right, I misread the question. Agree with you that the safari app itself is smaller since is part of the OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.