Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mstikes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Why are so many Apps work only in landscape mode on iPad. I understand it's because App developers want to build an universal app for Android tablets but with iPads being dominant I don't see the point anymore !

I noticed that's it's mainly big sport apps that are using landscape like NBA and NHL. A few of them like the MLS soccer app have been made available in portrait lately but I think Apple should pressure more developers to offer portrait.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
There's no big underlying reason aside from developer choice.

If it's a video-intensive app, then landscape probably makes more sense. If the app is primarily a two-pane app, then landscape mode gives more space for content. However, I will admit that I get annoyed when I use an app locked into one orientation that would work fine in the other too.

Mstikes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Exactly especially on iPad that big enough so it doesn't require landscape mode for more space. Personally I hate holding mine in landscape and I tend to avoid Apps that force us to do so.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Honestly say, if those apps can run only in landscape mode on iPhone, then this app is probably can only run in landscape mode on iPad s as well.
Racing games, for example, is a game requiring wide view to provide near true driving experience. Hence landscape mode is the perfect one.
Fps game such as halo, is the same.
In fact, you may have not been noticed this yet, that all pc games natively support landscape mode. This is natural because few pc monitors can rotate into portrait mode. But phone and tablet are different. They can rotate at any direction.
So, what are game developer's choice? I think, if I was a developer, I will choose developing first in landscape mode.
All in all, this is because in many cases, landscape mode can provide the best user experience than in portrait mode.

I also have several games fixed in landscape mode, and their default rotation side is the side that my hand can perfectly block iPhone 6 Plus speaker. :(

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
Exactly especially on iPad that big enough so it doesn't require landscape mode for more space. Personally I hate holding mine in landscape and I tend to avoid Apps that force us to do so.

I hate holding mine in portrait mode, each to their own. I much prefer landscape apps and hate portrait ones.

You can't please everyone

Jason

Adolf

Suspended
May 25, 2015
i like holding my iphone in portrait mode and my ipad in landscape mode because i am a professional apple user

Reactions: JasonHB

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
I would say, with universal apps, that it's because of the iphone and ipad mini. I prefer the mini in landscape as I do my iphone, switching just for full size ipad mini's would then have iphone and ipad mini using them in portrait. Full size ipad owners are the minority. I know not everyone uses their iphone and ipad mini in landscape mode using apps but I'm willing to bet the majority do, then again not everyone uses their full size ipad in portrait. If you contact the universal app maker and tell them you want to pay extra for an ipad specific app, plus get others to do the same, you may get your wish.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I would say, with universal apps, that it's because of the iphone and ipad mini. I prefer the mini in landscape as I do my iphone, switching just for full size ipad mini's would then have iphone and ipad mini using them in portrait. Full size ipad owners are the minority. I know not everyone uses their iphone and ipad mini in landscape mode using apps but I'm willing to bet the majority do, then again not everyone uses their full size ipad in portrait. If you contact the universal app maker and tell them you want to pay extra for an ipad specific app, plus get others to do the same, you may get your wish.

I am not clear on what you mentioned in the last part. Does anything special if I really try to ask for a developer developing an app specifically for iPad?
I now use iPhone 6 Plus in either portrait or landscape, because iPhone 6 Plus landscape mode is more usable than previous phones and 6. It has much larger screen. IOS is optimised for iPhone 6 Plus.

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
I am not clear on what you mentioned in the last part. Does anything special if I really try to ask for a developer developing an app specifically for iPad?
I now use iPhone 6 Plus in either portrait or landscape, because iPhone 6 Plus landscape mode is more usable than previous phones and 6. It has much larger screen. IOS is optimised for iPhone 6 Plus.

The op wants more ipad apps that are portrait view. Universal apps are typically going to be landscape if they are locked into a single view becaise ofbthe iphone. Building an app specifically for the ipad eliminates it being optimized for the iphone. I'm not sure what is confusing about that.

He's not talking about apps you can use in either landscape or portrait, just the ones locked into landscape and those are typically optimized for iphone. If they are separate ipad apps they are optimized for ipad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.