Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
The chase app is a good example of this. When do all apps have to be fully ios7'd up?

sero323

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
It was not compiled under the ios 7 sdk. It was updated using the ios 6.1 sdk

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
The deadline is 1st feb. Apps updated after that will have to be done with sdk 7. So will have new keyboard.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
What if they don't update? Are the removed from the App Store? What happens to the old versions installed on iOS.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
no they are not removed. they just can't update with the older SDKs.

even if they do update i believe SDK 7 can still support down to as low as iOS 5.

on top of that, i believe the app store supports you being able to get the last version of an app that was compatible with your device - so if you're on iOS 4 and they push out an iOS 5+ update, you just won't get the update.

so there shouldn't be anything holding back developers updating with the latest SDK, at least not out of concern for supporting customers.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Does it really matter that much?

Not really, but since both keyboards vary slightly in terms of button placement, it can be annoying to get used to the ios7 keyboard, then find yourself ending up with all sorts of typos when you use the older keyboard due to muscle memory, and vice versa.

And given that the whole draw of iOS is a standardized, uniform user experience, I would like to see keyboards standardized across all apps, just because. :)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
The chase app is a good example of this. When do all apps have to be fully ios7'd up?

There is no deadlines. Apple will not revoke apps if they haven't been updated.

App updates submitted after Feb 1st do. But as far as I know, that's just compatibility. It could still maintain the old keyboard. Chase app is already iOS7 compatible.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
But as far as I know, that's just compatibility. It could still maintain the old keyboard. Chase app is already iOS7 compatible.

I might be wrong but I think you just get new keyboard if you compile with SDK 7, with no choice. App submissions after Feb 1st must be compiled with SDK 7. Of course, apps can choose not to use the system keyboard at all and use their own custom control, but this is rare.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not really, but since both keyboards vary slightly in terms of button placement, it can be annoying to get used to the ios7 keyboard, then find yourself ending up with all sorts of typos when you use the older keyboard due to muscle memory, and vice versa.

And given that the whole draw of iOS is a standardized, uniform user experience, I would like to see keyboards standardized across all apps, just because. :)
Truthfully after all this time I'm still somehow significantly better with the pre-iOS 7 keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.