Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I want to buy a Mac Mini but I really don't wanna pay almost $700+tax cdn for one. eBay only has a few dozen, buysell.ca has none, craigslist only has a few...sheesh! These things are a pain to find (in Canada anyway...)

Anyone got an suggestions of where to look?

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I am so happy with my g4 mini I'll keep it even after upgrading to a more powerful apple... that may be why you can't find many used ones for sale - because it rocks! Thing is like stealth quiet and zippy enough to play music, burn cd's, edit photos and check mail all at once. Plus it fits in any suitcase easily, so I can just plug it in to anyone's monitor or tv while traveling and have my home computer on demand. Good luck, but I'm never selling mine.:D

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
a bit OT but I noticed your user name, another motley fan in the forum :D?

maybe ;)

I checked the refurb at Apple.ca and the cheapest one is $789.99 for thr 1.83ghz. Too rich for my blood. :( The cheapest I have seen one if for $579.99 at Futureshop and it was the demo model of the 1.66ghz model... I don't really want the demo model because who knows what has been done to it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There's a sort of compression effect to prices in the Mac market... it's very rare to see used Macs of any kind go for very low prices... like even when you're looking at G4 iBooks, the prices do not plummet until you look at very old models like the clamshells. People either sell them and expect to get close to their original purchase price, or just hold onto them until they're quite old.... :( But keep shopping... you'll find one!

jwp1964

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2004
Enterprise, KS
^ thanks for the advice :D

Well I hope soon or else the money I have saved will end up going towards something else.

I have seen 1.5 core solos for $479 in the Apple refurb store...check a couple times a day. Also, some Apple stores have refurbs in stock...give Apple stores near you a call.

Powermax has used 1.42 G4 with SD and 1GB RAM for $499 with warranty through April '08.:)

Edit: Plus 6% off and no sales tax.....

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The best place to find them is at ebay in my opinion. I would recommend saving up the extra bucks and getting a new one, you never know what they do to it before you get it.

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2006
Well the big problem with getting used Macs is two fold.

First, Supply.

They don't make a whole lot of Macs in the first place.. not compared to the wide variety of PC's out there.. I mean, if you want a PC you can get a Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, etc.. but if you want a Mac.. well.. you pretty much have to get a Mac.

Second, Demand.

Historically, Macs are useful for a very long time. For instance, a G4 400Mhz Mac that was made going on 8 years ago can run OSX 10.3.9 with no problems, and while apps like PhotoShop CS might be a little taxing, for general purpose eMail, web browsing, iTunes, stuff like that.. it's really quite peppy and capable.. not to mention aftermarket upgrades are available to take those old G4 towers into the 21st century with dual 1.6Ghz CPU's.

Because the computers are so viable for years after purchase, people are far less likely to upgrade as often as your typical PC user.

High demand + relatively low supply = high prices

I've watched old iBooks with dead logic boards and busted screens sell for CRAZY money. Nothing about a Mac is inexpensive.. new or used.

rdf8585

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2006
Historically, Macs are useful for a very long time. For instance, a G4 400Mhz Mac that was made going on 8 years ago can run OSX 10.3.9 with no problems, and while apps like PhotoShop CS might be a little taxing, for general purpose eMail, web browsing, iTunes, stuff like that.. it's really quite peppy and capable..

That may be stretching it. I can't see how a 400 MHZ G4 would be peppy while doing something even like browsing. My 1.33 G4 Mini with 32 MB VRAM has a hard enough time with online video, so I can only imagine what a 400 MHZ G4 has... 8 MB VRAM?

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK
My 1.33 G4 Mini with 32 MB VRAM has a hard enough time with online video, so I can only imagine what a 400 MHZ G4 has... 8 MB VRAM?

The AGP G4 had 16MB VRAM on an ATI board, it's acceptable at 1024x768 resolution but if you try to maximize your web browser window on a 1600x1200 screen then it will feel slow scrolling, etc..

It's always the same thing with all computers: if you buy a computer this year and use this year's software, it will be OK; if you use today's software on a 5 year old machine, it will be disapointing.

On point in favour of the 400mhz G4 is that there weren't many PCs in 2000/2001 that could play DVD full screen without freezing the rest of the computer...

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
That may be stretching it. I can't see how a 400 MHZ G4 would be peppy while doing something even like browsing. My 1.33 G4 Mini with 32 MB VRAM has a hard enough time with online video, so I can only imagine what a 400 MHZ G4 has... 8 MB VRAM?

I use the Wallstreet G3 in my sig for browsing, etc, and it's quite usable. RAM is more important that clock speed for these older machines. In any case, I'm planning to sell my mini (in sig) pretty soon, if you're interested in a G4. Like everyone said, they are great little machines and remain useful for so long that if I don't get a good offer I'll likely just give it to my wife who could use it for 3+ more years easily.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
If I didn't use Photoshop so much, I'd still be using my G4 mini and not my new iMac 24. I'm currently debating whether to sell it and get a MacBook(pro?)or set it up again as a 2ndary reading/entertainment unit. I hate the hassle of selling used stuff, but I might just do it in this case. There is usually a buyer at hand...even in Korea (the land where Mac is an almost unknown brand--poor, ignorant b*st*rds).

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
On point in favour of the 400mhz G4 is that there weren't many PCs in 2000/2001 that could play DVD full screen without freezing the rest of the computer...

the G4 was one of the first processors, i think in the industry, to allow for full screen MPEG2 playback thru software and NOT a hardware chip (like the B/W g3s)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
the G4 was one of the first processors, i think in the industry, to allow for full screen MPEG2 playback thru software and NOT a hardware chip (like the B/W g3s)

I remember that in the G4 era, video playback quality in a multi-tasking environment was one of the things that impressed me about Macs running OS X....

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
prices for used macs are just insane. the macs lose only 20% value even when they are more than a year old. at that point it's better to buy a new machine and get the full warranty, the current system and ilife versions.

my guess is that most apple owners have enough money so they don't NEED to sell their macs. so they rather keep them as a second mac. that keeps the number of available used macs low and the prices high. at the same time a three year old mac works just fine so there is no real need to sell them for technological reasons.

i just wonder who are the people buying a 2 year old mini at 10% less than the retail price of a new mini.:rolleyes:

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
local computer store:

can I sell this Dell laptop to you guys, i dont want it anymore?

sure, how much you want for it?

well, I paid like $1000 only earlier this year...

Ill give you $100.

Are you serious, why so little?

Because I cant sell it for more than that really.

Personal experience:

looking for older apple lappys on ebay....

cant find a working iBook G3 (yes THREE) for less than $150, and they are years older than a brand new Dell...and yet they cost the same used.

Macs hold up better, and by ebays logic, they hold their value 10x if not 100x more than a similar specced PC.

Xenesis

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
Australia
Just to add to this thread about old macs being worth a lot.

I sold components and my dead iBook for about $450-500 AUD all up. Including batteries, power cords, the RAM chip upgrade, and even the dead carcass.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Second, Demand.

Historically, Macs are useful for a very long time. For instance, a G4 400Mhz Mac that was made going on 8 years ago can run OSX 10.3.9 with no problems, and while apps like PhotoShop CS might be a little taxing, for general purpose eMail, web browsing, iTunes, stuff like that.. it's really quite peppy and capable.. not to mention aftermarket upgrades are available to take those old G4 towers into the 21st century with dual 1.6Ghz CPU's.

Yep, I'm still on a G4 400Mhz powermac running 10.4.x. I use photoshop on it at times as well. It's getting slow but it still works well. I'll be replacing it next year though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.