Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Userx12

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2015
Hello,

Sometime ago I created a new user account on a family members MacBook air from my external hard drive back up of my old computer. For some reason my files are all available in my family members user account. Oddly, if I locate the Macintosh HD icon it is situated inside a folder that has the name of my user account in question. This all happens when I am squarely in my other family members account.

How can I make it so the files from my new user account ate not available in the pre-existing account of my family member? I'm very confused about why this happened.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
Strange, this should not be happening.

I have not have seen such problem myself but you might want to check Rights, select the user in Finder window and then select "Show Info" on File menu, at the bottom of the new window will be sharing & rights, check to make sure the user doesn't have more rights than normal.

Userx12

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2015
Strange, this should not be happening.

I have not have seen such problem myself but you might want to check Rights, select the user in Finder window and then select "Show Info" on File menu, at the bottom of the new window will be sharing & rights, check to make sure the user doesn't have more rights than normal.
Getting back to this a little late…

Thanks for your advice. I went in and took a look at that and made sure no one had read or write access except me. No dice though. Macintosh HD, when I bring it up in the other person's user account, shows that it exists under my user name account and all of my files can be seen. After a back up I might just try to delete my user account and then put it back on. If there are any other ideas I would be happy to know.

Thanks again.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
There is one thing you can try but there is no guarantee that it will work. Make sure you backup the Mac before trying this!

Restart the Mac and press Command R buttons to start in recovery. Then open Terminal in Utilities menu.

Type resetpassword in Terminal and press Enter. Next you see a window which should show your boot drive in the top, select it. Lastly click the reset button at the bottom of the screen below "Reset Home folder permissions and ACL". Afterwards restart your Mac to see if it helped.

Userx12

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2015
There is one thing you can try but there is no guarantee that it will work. Make sure you backup the Mac before trying this!

Restart the Mac and press Command R buttons to start in recovery. Then open Terminal in Utilities menu.

Type resetpassword in Terminal and press Enter. Next you see a window which should show your boot drive in the top, select it. Lastly click the reset button at the bottom of the screen below "Reset Home folder permissions and ACL". Afterwards restart your Mac to see if it helped.
Thank you. I think I'm going to try deleting my user account first and then reinstalling it. But if that does not work I may give this a shot. I'll let you know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.