Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalleanka123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2021
As you can see here, I have used 127.8 of 128 GB on my iPhone:

r/iphonehelp - Why aren't my photos being uploaded to iCloud? My phone doesn't have any storage space left.
But only 1% of photos are uploaded to iCloud Photos, as you also can see in the picture above. Why is that?

I have a lot of free iCloud space:

r/iphonehelp - Why aren't my photos being uploaded to iCloud? My phone doesn't have any storage space left.
And I have enabled "iCloud Photos" and "Optimise iPhone Storage":

Shouldn't my pictures be uploaded now to iCloud and shouldn't I get more available free space than what I have?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Your screenshot shows that the iCloud Photos upload is only at 1%, so it has quite a way to go before you see any changes. Keep in mind lower resolution of the photos will still be stored on your device; it's only the higher resolution versions that will be stored in iCloud Photos.

kalleanka123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2021
Ah, is that what it means? I didn't understand that it was a progress indicator. I thought it indicated the amount of used space.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Ah, is that what it means? I didn't understand that it was a progress indicator. I thought it indicated the amount of used space.
I could be wrong about that, but if you just enabled iCloud Photos and depending on how many you have, it can take days for the upload to complete. It looks like you have 85+ GB of photos/videos on your phone? That's going to take awhile for sure.

You can log into icloud.com to see if all of your photos are there as a way to check. But realistically, if you're that tight on device storage, you should probably delete some other things or at least enable Offload Unused Apps.

You can also view your progress by going to Photos > Library > All Photos and scrolling to the bottom.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
The phone needs to be in the charging state, link to wifi, and lock the screen.
Would you provide the Apple support source for that? It's not in the iCloud Photos or iCloud user guides. I know it's true for automatic iCloud Backup, but that's the first time I've heard it's a requirement for iCloud Photo uploads, so I'd like to know the source of your info.

Also I can upload without charging or locking the screen, so I'd like to see your source please.

ybbbbbbb

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2021
乌鲁木齐
Would you provide the Apple support source for that? It's not in the iCloud Photos or iCloud user guides. I know it's true for automatic iCloud Backup, but that's the first time I've heard it's a requirement for iCloud Photo uploads, so I'd like to know the source of your info.

Also I can upload without charging or locking the screen, so I'd like to see your source please.
This web page may need to be translated into English

ybbbbbbb

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2021
乌鲁木齐
This is an English-only web forum. Please provide the English version.
D1128300-C920-4384-A4B1-2C5FE2FE7AF4.jpeg

You can follow the picture prompts to do this.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
The link provided by @ybbbbbbb was : https://support.apple.com/zh-cn/HT207428

Remove the ZN-CH and run it again: https://support.apple.com/HT207428 which redirects to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207428

1632538736179.png

But yeah, I don't see it listed here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264 (iCloud Photo Backup help).

My experience is that Photos Backup will pause when on battery power. I have:

1632538822076.png

Whenever I get a new phone or device - it usually takes a day or two to get everything and unless I'm plugged in, it usually pauses. Once fully uploaded, it'll usually upload on battery power as long as long as I don't take a massive amount of photos at once.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
This source is about iCloud Backup. That's different than uploading photos to iCloud Photos, so that was not relevant advice or an accurate source. Sure, staying plugged for the initial upload, especially if it's large, might make sense as it might for any large or long process, but it's not a requirement for it to work and there's no Apple source that states that.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.