Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
it's up to the app developers to 'authorize' their IOS app for macOS.

IngoX

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2022
Sweden
Well, some reasons to opt out is given in the developer document linked above, for example:
  • Your app relies heavily on iOS hardware that is unavailable on Mac, such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, magnetometers, depth-sensing cameras, or GPS.
  • Your app requires frameworks, symbols, or features not present on the Mac.
  • Your app’s interactions rely extensively on touch input that you can’t replicate with the keyboard or other input.
  • You don’t want users to have access to the content in your app’s bundle or data container.

JohnHerzog

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2021
The, uh, Asphalt 9 game works on macOS. 9? I think - Sorry, I had to check. I think I deleted it.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Often essentially the same app will have a higher price in the Mac app store than the iOS app store so developers are preventing you from using the cheaper option.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Often essentially the same app will have a higher price in the Mac app store than the iOS app store so developers are preventing you from using the cheaper option.
It's not always the same app: plenty of Mac apps have more features and capabilities than the iOS version.

IngoX

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2022
Sweden
the eero app would be good on the mac. Anyone with an M1 want to check that it works on m1?
No, doesn´t show up in Mac App Store on M1 MBP. And safari link says no.

Skärmavbild 2022-01-06 kl. 15.25.43.png

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
No, doesn´t show up in Mac App Store on M1 MBP. And safari link says no.

View attachment 1939712

darn I was looking forward to being able to run that once I go M1. Be like the old days with airport utility.

These types of apps should all be able to run. Stuff like home automation apps, cooking apps, etc. I have not looked at xcode into this, is the M1 ios feature opt in or opt out?
-d

Reactions: Tagbert

IngoX

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2022
Sweden
Guess one reason could be a little laziness, for example developers for eero don´t want to bother with bug-reports for another system. "We make an Android and iOS app for our hardware, thats enough. A little uncertain what Apple silicon is or the usability on that platform, so lets inactivate that posibility for now"

Opposite example is Ikea Home smart for Trådfri-devices. Looks and works exactly the same on iOS and macOS, got an update to both devices today. Even though its labeled "Not verified for macOS"

Reactions: Tagbert and dugbug

MK500

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
To make matters worse; when the M1 launched you could run all apps you own. Then Apple patched it so the developers could opt out. I really really hate developers who do this. An example is the Sony PS App which I use to chat with friends on the PlayStation Network. It's a free app; and there are no other alternatives for Mac. There is no good reason for Sony to opt out other than "we don't feel like supporting it". It worked perfectly.

There are quite a number of apps I used regularly that I stopped being able to use when I upgraded from my M1 Air to my M1 14" Max.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Well, some reasons to opt out is given in the developer document linked above, for example:
Other reasons:

• Developer doesn't have an M1 Mac to test on
  • Developer doesn't want the headache of complaints and downvoting that unoptimized code brings
  • Developer knows that the app doesn't work correctly on MacOS
  • Developer has a MacOS version in the works
  • etc.
The reasons are numerous and no one gets to tell a developer that they should release software on a platform if that isn't in the developers best interest and developer gets to decide their own best interests.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Situation will improve once Macbooks get touch input otherwise not a good user experience plus extra dev work to convert full screen touch based apps to non-touch devices.

• Haha
Reactions: appleArticulate

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
It's not always the same app: plenty of Mac apps have more features and capabilities than the iOS version.
Those cases exist, too. But to me it feels like the price is always disproportionally higher on the Mac, for example does Pixelmator Pro on the Mac do 4x as much as the iPad version since it costs 4x? Perhaps it does, but I guess that's not always the case. Has anybody studied this?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Those cases exist, too. But to me it feels like the price is always disproportionally higher on the Mac, for example does Pixelmator Pro on the Mac do 4x as much as the iPad version since it costs 4x? Perhaps it does, but I guess that's not always the case. Has anybody studied this?
It’s more the opposite phenomenon. iOS prices are ridiculously low in comparison to traditional prices of computer software.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
It’s more the opposite phenomenon. iOS prices are ridiculously low in comparison to traditional prices of computer software.
Which is why many developers feel the need to go subscription. It is very hard to make a living selling software at $4.99 at a time.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
Situation will improve once Macbooks get touch input otherwise not a good user experience plus extra dev work to convert full screen touch based apps to non-touch devices.
I still don't get it. How could touch input on a large screen, like the 24 inch iMac, to be considered as "good user experience"? Your finger has to travel longer as the screen goes bigger, and once we reached a certain size, you will have to move your whole arm, instead only your fingers, to operate on a touch screen, and for Macs, this is usually the case.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I still don't get it. How could touch input on a large screen, like the 24 inch iMac, to be considered as "good user experience"? Your finger has to travel longer as the screen goes bigger, and once we reached a certain size, you will have to move your whole arm, instead only your fingers, to operate on a touch screen, and for Macs, this is usually the case.
I'm with you. I've had a large touch screen PC, as well as laptops. (all Windows PC's) and touch really is inefficient compared to a mouse. I went back to non touch laptops and sold my large touch screen AIW a long time ago.

But I also feel a touchpad is almost as bad and always use a mouse...

Reactions: Janichsan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.