Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neil Fazel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2019
Whenever I pay my Apple Card statement, the confirmation email is sent to the original email used when I set up the account. I would like to change this email. I called Apple Card support (Goldman Sachs) a few times and was told it could not be changed. To my disbelief, they said I would need to cancel the account and open a new one using the new email address. (BTW, a long time ago I updated the email address on my iPhone under Wallet & Apply Pay > TRANSACTION DEFAULTS, but all confirmations are still being sent to the old email address. I don't think that the new email has ever been used for any communication.)

Is there anything that can be done short of canceling the card? Being able to update the contact info is a standard feature of any credit account and removing the capability is a security concern. What if the email account has been compromised? Would I then need to cancel the Apple Card account? It just doesn't make sense.

Thanks,
Neil

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I agree with you that not being able to manually update your contact email address is ridiculous. I don't have an Apple Card but, all my other credit cards allow me to do so. I suppose that policy is to prevent people from saying they never got their bill? If that isn't it, I don't know the reasoning behind that kind of strict policy.

Reactions: Neil Fazel

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Believe the email address is the one tied to the Apple ID email address. So, have to change it in card.apple.com (don't have Card, so guessing), or appleid.apple.com for Apple ID changes.

Transaction details is really just a convenience feature for all cards when filling out online forms and want to auto-populate. Designed under assumption all/most card transactions use same info.

Neil Fazel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2019
Believe the email address is the one tied to the Apple ID email address. So, have to change it in card.apple.com (don't have Card, so guessing), or appleid.apple.com for Apple ID changes.

Transaction details is really just a convenience feature for all cards when filling out online forms and want to auto-populate. Designed under assumption all/most card transactions use same info.
Thanks, you're probably right. The question is why link a credit account to a generic email address associated with Apple ID? If Experian tells me my email account was found in their dark web searches, I should be able to dissociate this email from my credit account. Also, for security reasons, many people nowadays use emails for their credit accounts that are different from the email used for regular email communication. Apple Card's current policy prevents the card holder from taking this basic step to protect the account.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
You'll have to get in contact with someone fairly high up the food chain at Apple to get their design decisions on this.

But from a guess standpoint, it's not a traditional card, in that it's designed for Apple customers, that have Apple devices to use the card in/with (Apple Pay), Apple account to tie purchases and rewards to, be it individually or part of Family plan.

In the case of Apple Card, since it's part of Apple ID, and you need 2-factor turned on, your Apple Card is protected. And if your email is compromised, can change the email used with the Apple ID (appleid.apple.com), as if you lose the Apple ID to bad guys, they can lock you out, erase your devices, leaving you with a brick. See this story from a decade ago (though a bunch of these openings have been plugged) about how a cascade of weaknesses add up to one's digital life going up in smoke.

If your email that is associated with Apple ID is on the dark web, there might be bigger issues to worry about. For example, if that email address is tied to a mail provider that does not have 2-factor authentication, or you have not turned it on, all your other pieces of digital life are in danger of being hacked (think password reset links, 2FA codes). If you're re-using the same password with that email address across services, more trouble.

Apple Card will be the least of your worries if not using random passwords, 2FA, setting trusted phone numbers, etc.

Neil Fazel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2019
You'll have to get in contact with someone fairly high up the food chain at Apple to get their design decisions on this.

But from a guess standpoint, it's not a traditional card, in that it's designed for Apple customers, that have Apple devices to use the card in/with (Apple Pay), Apple account to tie purchases and rewards to, be it individually or part of Family plan.

In the case of Apple Card, since it's part of Apple ID, and you need 2-factor turned on, your Apple Card is protected. And if your email is compromised, can change the email used with the Apple ID (appleid.apple.com), as if you lose the Apple ID to bad guys, they can lock you out, erase your devices, leaving you with a brick. See this story from a decade ago (though a bunch of these openings have been plugged) about how a cascade of weaknesses add up to one's digital life going up in smoke.

If your email that is associated with Apple ID is on the dark web, there might be bigger issues to worry about. For example, if that email address is tied to a mail provider that does not have 2-factor authentication, or you have not turned it on, all your other pieces of digital life are in danger of being hacked (think password reset links, 2FA codes). If you're re-using the same password with that email address across services, more trouble.

Apple Card will be the least of your worries if not using random passwords, 2FA, setting trusted phone numbers, etc.
Thanks. I checked and the email associated with Apple ID is ...@mac.com and not compromised. It's the ...@gmail.com address that is on the dark web, associated with Apple Card and which I'm unable to update. I no longer see ...@gmail.com listed under Apple ID or anywhere else (I seem to recall it used to be listed as a secondary email somewhere).

For some reason I also get Apple marketing emails (Apple Book, Apple TV, Apple Pay, Apple Store) sent to ...@gmail.com. I would change it if there was a way but I don't see it listed under my Apply ID account.

Last edited:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Just to make clear, it's your @mac.com address at the very top of the screen under "Apple ID"?

Yeah, odd that the email address being used is different from the Apple ID. Might want to tackle this from a different angle: contact Apple to why you are getting marketing emails to your other email vs the @mac.com address.

Neil Fazel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2019
Just to make clear, it's your @mac.com address at the very top of the screen under "Apple ID"?

Yeah, odd that the email address being used is different from the Apple ID. Might want to tackle this from a different angle: contact Apple to why you are getting marketing emails to your other email vs the @mac.com address.
The answer to your question is yes.

OK, I’ll give them a call. Thanks for your help!

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
The answer to your question is yes.

OK, I’ll give them a call. Thanks for your help!
Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same issue. I updated my email in every possible place I saw regarding my Apple account, yet when I purchase anything I get the invoice/receipt to my old gmail account. This is really annoying. Is the solution really to close the applecard and get a new one? That's ridiculous. For all the reasons stated in this thread.

Neil Fazel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2019
It appears you can neither change your email nor your address to a PO Box. Rumor is it’s easier to get Apple Card than other credit cards, so to crack down on fraud they have these draconian measures.

Neil

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.